Romanian Government Recognizes Witchcraft as Legal Profession

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
nekoali said:
Woohoo! Look at all that ignorant, self righteous bias depicted not only in the news article by also by many of the commenters! Why surely they must know 100% exactly what witchcraft really is and isn't, despite getting well, absolutely no facts on the subject.

For the record, Wicca and various other pagan religions that often fall under the heading of witchcraft are just as valid and a lot older than all those monotheistic religions that tried to supplant and absorb them in their power grabs for more followers, demonizing those that would not convert as evil or satanists or what have you.

Warlock is not the term for a male witch. The term for a male witch is... witch. Warlock means 'traitor' and was coined by the Catholic church to use against men who didn't follow their views.

Magic is just as real as you believe it is. At least as real as praying for something. In fact, it's exactly the same thing, using a person's willpower to hopefully influence external events. Whether the trappings are an athame or a rosary, whether you do it in a church or a magic circle, you are still trying to use ritual and willpower to bring about a favorable change in your life.
Isn't it forbidden to use this gift for profit also? Maybe "forbidden" is not the correct word but...frowned upon? I know that real psychics do not charge, but i'm not that familiar with this.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well that's just silly.

It's odd that making witchcraft an official employment would be worth the effort. I mean how many witches could there possibly be and how much could they be making. I imagine it's not a very lucrative field of employment. I would think enforcing the taxes would cost more then its worth but then again I don't know the employment percentages in Romania. Maybe its just tax dodges listing there job as witchcraft. Well whatever I just want to wait and see if all the officials in Romania turn into Newts (and then get better).

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
yundex said:
Isn't it forbidden to use this gift for profit also? Maybe "forbidden" is not the correct word but...frowned upon? I know that real psychics do not charge, but i'm not that familiar with this.
Forbidden is a bit strong a term. But by the Three Fold Law you had best be sure of what you are doing, as it says anything you do will come back to you three times over. I certainly wouldn't say that I'm familiar with any commercial aspects of witchcraft (and I suspect these people are more along the lines of advisers, herbalists and the like... You go to them because your baby won't stop crying for an herbal 'potion' to stop their teething pain).

I however would not perform any magic for the benefit of someone else (or myself) unless I felt the motives are pure. No casting curses on people or all that other rot. That's the sort of behavior that is frowned upon by most Wiccans.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
nekoali said:
yundex said:
Forbidden is a bit strong a term. But by the Three Fold Law you had best be sure of what you are doing, as it says anything you do will come back to you three times over. I certainly wouldn't say that I'm familiar with any commercial aspects of witchcraft (and I suspect these people are more along the lines of advisers, herbalists and the like... You go to them because your baby won't stop crying for an herbal 'potion' to stop their teething pain).

I however would not perform any magic for the benefit of someone else (or myself) unless I felt the motives are pure. No casting curses on people or all that other rot. That's the sort of behavior that is frowned upon by most Wiccans.
Good to know, thanks.
Edit: The "what is there to tax when we hardly earn anything" is what had me wondering.

GaijinAndrew

Jun 7, 2010
Well it may seem awesome to you but I live in Romania and the so-called "Witches" are just gypsies who try to rip off stupid wealthy people. They're actually a disgrace to the term Witch. Just to make a point look at the powerful "artifact" hanging around her neck. -__-

http://image.stirileprotv.ro/media/images///400x300_play/Mar2010//60410387.jpg

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
So, even the government believes in magic?

And I thought US politicians were stupid!
As opposed to our politicians who believe that a man can walk on water and change water to wine.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ah, Romania. Neighbor of the former Yugoslavia. Why is this relevant?
The dhampir comes from the gypsy lore of eastern Europe. The vampires of some gypsy legends have insatiable sexual appetites (along with their appetite for blood), mainly directed towards their widows. Although a female vampire cannot bear children, a child can be produced from the union of a male vampire and living woman. These children, most of whom are male, are called dhampirs, and have the special ability to detect vampires (many of whom can become invisible in gypsy legend). The dhampir may hire himself out as a vampire killer, either engaging in all sorts of odd rituals, wrestling with the invisible spirit, and/or doing it in with a single shot from a pistol. Just like vampires, the exact names and characteristics of the dhampir differ from region to region. Most of the time, dhampirs were considered to be normal humans, other than their special abilities of detection, but in some cases they were thought to have a jelly-like body, dooming it to a short life. This latter claim stems from a belief that vampires have no bones. In some traditions, the abilities of a dhampir can be passed to a male offspring, creating a dhampiric lineage. Other names for dhampirs include vampir (if male), vampuiera (if female), vampijerovic, or lampijerovic. The last known dhampir ceremony, lest you think these creatures are remnants of the distant past, took place in Yugoslavia in 1959.
- Victor Mordenheim's Superstitious Bunkum [http://s91291220.onlinehome.us/folklore.htm] (emphasis mine)

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Que the American government bombing the crap out of Romania to "bring it Democracy" in 5...

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

All policticians beleive in a far older and more sinister power than witchcraft... Tax!

OP: I say we follow suit and start taxing all superstitions. IE: religion, fortune telling, dodgy day spas :p

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Bealzibob said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

All policticians beleive in a far older and more sinister power than witchcraft... Tax!

OP: I say we follow suit and start taxing all superstitions. IE: religion, fortune telling, dodgy day spas :p
TAX! It's power is immense!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
nekoali said:
Woohoo! Look at all that ignorant, self righteous bias depicted not only in the news article by also by many of the commenters! Why surely they must know 100% exactly what witchcraft really is and isn't, despite getting well, absolutely no facts on the subject.

For the record, Wicca and various other pagan religions that often fall under the heading of witchcraft are just as valid and a lot older than all those monotheistic religions that tried to supplant and absorb them in their power grabs for more followers, demonizing those that would not convert as evil or satanists or what have you.

Warlock is not the term for a male witch. The term for a male witch is... witch. Warlock means 'traitor' and was coined by the Catholic church to use against men who didn't follow their views.

Magic is just as real as you believe it is. At least as real as praying for something. In fact, it's exactly the same thing, using a person's willpower to hopefully influence external events. Whether the trappings are an athame or a rosary, whether you do it in a church or a magic circle, you are still trying to use ritual and willpower to bring about a favorable change in your life.
I'm comfortable admitting my bias against people that curse people with dog poop.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
Why hasn't america thought of this yet?!

Seriously, I'm thinking about going to romania for maybe a year, "become a warlock" then head back to america to get a job JUST so I could put 'former warlock' on my job resume.
This is just...awesome.
I am so going to do that.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I find this report extremely offensive to me and my fellow witches. Please remove it at once.

Steamtech

Oct 5, 2010
This, I'm just going to say, is a bad trend. It's essentially commercializing religion, and anyway magic is traditionally a personal thing. If you do it for other people, you don't usually get paid anything more than they offer in gratitude. Getting people's thanks taxed just seems ridiculous to me.