Ronda Rousey Wants to Play Samus in Possible Metroid Movie

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I would not be against that. If the movie was terrible, it probably would not be because of her, but because script writers for video games are always the worst offenders of, "It's good, but I can do it better".

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
Silentpony said:
monkeymangler said:
Pretty brave behind the monitor.
Speak the truth, even if your voice wavers.
If I could give you an internet point for that I would. Unfortunately it is 11 at night and I woke my son laughing, so I can't and have to deal with that.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Here's how you make a Metroid movie;
Get some gymnast to do motion capture GCI, flips, running, ect.
A voice over in the beginning to explain what's going to happen.
Samus is attacked and stranded on a planet with a damaged power suit and needs to find things to repair.
2~3 epic choreographed fights.
At the very end of the movie, helmet is removed for some cameo of a celebrity.
Credits.

Oh, post credits scene; Samus and Star Fox meet up at a bar. Smash Bros reference is uttered.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Zontar said:
Pretty much this. She's had what, 3 movie roles? One of which was herself, and she was terrible in all of them. She can't act to save her life, why does she and a lot of other people keep naming her as a person who should play "character X". For god sake I've seen people ask for her to be Captain Marvel in the Captain Marvel movie. Because having her in Marvel's first big budget movie staring a women instead of a good actress who can pull off the role is a great idea in some people's minds.

Sorry Rousey, unless you take a few acting lessens stick to the ring, you're just not cut out for acting with your skills.
Funny, that same limitation never seemed to stop Ahn-uld from starring in many of the greatest movie franchises of the 80's and 90's. People just accepted that you didn't go to one of his movies to see an Oscar-winning performance but you DID go to see some of the best action scenes and special effects money could buy (and of course the frequent cheesy one-liners).

While I agree that she probably could not pull off a Marvel character, at least not right away, I'm fairly certain she could pull off a completely action-based movie character. And who knows, given some time and more acting training maybe she could become a great actress.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
monkeymangler said:
Broslinger said:
Samus is a role for winners.
Judo Olympian at Age 17 (youngest ever)
World Judo Championship Gold Medal
Multiple Judo medals overall
Olympic Bronze Medalist
12-1 MMA Record, with 11 wins coming in the first round.
3 time World MMA Female Fighter of the Year
Multiple defenses of UFC Women's Bantamweight Title

Yeah, she's a total loser.
She is without a doubt a superlative martial artist; that's what she's trained basically her whole life to become. What she isn't (yet perhaps) is an accomplished, or even charismatic actor. While Arnold, Dolph and Van Damm are hardly Laurence Olivier, they have presence and charisma, which can be just as good as talent. If she wants in on the acting game, perhaps she should retire from MMA and start again as an acting white belt - surely she'd appreciate the necessity - and earn her bones like most do but without the added safety net a life time of other achievements provides.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I am surprised to learn about her hobbies, but hot damn is she an unlikable person.

Never cared about Metroid, so meh either way.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Batou667 said:
Pfffft! She'd be better cast as Marcus Fenix.

Or perhaps somebody who fails all the time. Carmine maybe?
Carmine it is.

No if they're ever doing a Gears of War movie she would be perfect to play the blond lady that apears in the later gears games
http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Gears-of-War-3-Anya-Stroud.jpg

She doesn't have the voice or the acting chops for it though.

But you know when has that ever mattered to Hollywood.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
erttheking said:
Someone who's got some muscle playing Samus as opposed to a super model?

I'm game.
Yeah, even if her acting wasn't brilliant, it would be nice to see Samus played by someone who could plausibly do the things Samus can do.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
My only concern would be that her 'role' in Furious 7 has cemented her in my mind has being a hilariously bad actress. If that was a fluke and she's been decent in other things, then whatever, have at it.

Of course, if they're going the Darth Vader route and are just talking about her be the body beneath the suit, while the helmeted voice is someone else, and the unsuited character is yet another person, that would also be fine.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Oh yeah, show off the real Metroid by parading someone around in a skimpy outfit in all the advertisements, then write cringe worthy rubbish continuing the story of Other M. It would happen, you know it.

Anyway, you need acting talent to show expression in your movement as well, so Ronda would require someone that's a bit of perfectionist to make her perform properly. But seriously, whats the point? We want more proper Metroid games, not fucking movies! I've been dying for more interesting metroidvania's. Challenge me, dammit!

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Silentpony said:
I dunno. A Samus with only 1 health-point and a tendency to have massive emotional breakdowns after defeats...doesn't exactly scream intergalactic badass bounty hunter to me.
Indeed it does not. And even if a lot of Samus fans have never heard of her, it's not exactly difficult to find out details of her career (as this thread has demonstrated). Plus, the fact she admitted to assaulting a guy in her (auto?)biography, and apparently nobody cares about that, isn't exactly something you want in someone that's going to be playing a character like Samus (who's supposed to be a 'positive' female character that the 'progressives' will jizz all over).

Nope, not the right person. Next!

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I would rather not see a metroid movie since lets face it, movie games have historically been absolute junk, BUT if hypothetically their was going to be one Ronda would portray Samus as good as anyone imo

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Am I the only one who wants Sammus to go back to being this huge 6'3"foot tall muscular woman that she was back in the Nintendo guide book. I mean back when the suit only added about an inch to her height and it was mostly just all her inside.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
But being a Chozo Hybrid is a massive advantage. It's not fair.

erttheking said:
Someone who's got some muscle playing Samus as opposed to a super model?

I'm game.
Even if that's the criteria, there have to be like, 500 women within stone-tossing distance better for the role.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Major_Tom said:
Isn't Samus like really tall? She should be played by Gwendoline Christie.
Yeah my vote has to go to Gwendoline Christie. No offense to Ronda Rousy but have a good build for a role does not mean you're good for the role, and what I've seen of her acting has not impressed me

But of course I'd rather a movie not happen at all but that's just me

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I certainly have no qualms with her as Samus, if the movie was to be made- I mean, yeah, Samus is taller, but this isn't a really important detail to me.

Did Ronda do something offensive? I'm getting a vibe from the forum that Ronda has fallen out of favour- or that she's just not cool, either way (I don't really have time to look into it just now, so pardon my ignorance).

I actually have a bigger problem with a remake of Road House. I mean, Is it an all- female remake, like Ronda's going to be cooling up female barflies and rowdies? Or is it going to be 2 hours of "B-but you're a girl!" from big dumb men? Because I'm starting to think I'd actually enjoy watching a quirky violent movie about a large muscled man somehow successfully becoming a bouncer, as it seems so rare for large, imposing men to not get the crap kicked out of them in films.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
totheendofsin said:
Major_Tom said:
Isn't Samus like really tall? She should be played by Gwendoline Christie.
Yeah my vote has to go to Gwendoline Christie. No offense to Ronda Rousy but have a good build for a role does not mean you're good for the role, and what I've seen of her acting has not impressed me

But of course I'd rather a movie not happen at all but that's just me
Agreed, Gwendoline Christie would rock the hell out of that role.

Unfortunately, I doubt Nintendo would ever approve of her casting. With all the effort they've gone through trying to fetishize Samus in later games (the ever-increasing prominence of the zero suit, the ever-increasing tightness of the zerosuit, making her more of a rail-thin supermodel-looking woman, the stupid goddamned high heels, etc etc), I really doubt they'd let anyone play her who wasn't some sort of unrealistic supermodel type.

My vote is still for a rough-and-tumble bounty hunter Samus, instead of the prim, proper anime-princess we keep being given. I'd love to see a Metroid story more in the vein of western sci-fi like Firefly or Alien. Japanese sci-fi is just too neat, too shiny, and too clean. Gimmie a Metroid story that kicks off with Samus strolling into a Mos Eisley analogue on the edge of known space, and beating down the biggest, meanest guy at the bar so that she can collect his bounty. And don't even have her bat an eye at it, because this is the kind of shit she does for a living.

Maybe also give Ridley and the space pirates some characterization too while we're at it. They just kind of come off as generic space-monsters.