Ronda Rousey Wants to Play Samus in Possible Metroid Movie

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Yeah, even if her acting wasn't brilliant, it would be nice to see Samus played by someone who could plausibly do the things Samus can do.
Like roll up into a two-foot ball?

No, there are plenty of physically-fit actresses who could pull off the role and actually, you know, act. Acting is a skill that can be learned (although obviously some people have more natural talent than others). If Ronda Rousey wants leading role parts in film, she needs to start taking acting lessons.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
But being a Chozo Hybrid is a massive advantage. It's not fair.

erttheking said:
Someone who's got some muscle playing Samus as opposed to a super model?

I'm game.
Even if that's the criteria, there have to be like, 500 women within stone-tossing distance better for the role.
I know, I'm not particularly attached to her, it's just that the concept is depressingly novel.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Politrukk said:
No if they're ever doing a Gears of War movie she would be perfect to play the blond lady that apears in the later gears games
http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Gears-of-War-3-Anya-Stroud.jpg
I always thought
would make a good Anya Stroud if they ever made a Gears movie.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
monkeymangler said:
Broslinger said:
Samus is a role for winners.
Judo Olympian at Age 17 (youngest ever)
World Judo Championship Gold Medal
Multiple Judo medals overall
Olympic Bronze Medalist
12-1 MMA Record, with 11 wins coming in the first round.
3 time World MMA Female Fighter of the Year
Multiple defenses of UFC Women's Bantamweight Title

Yeah, she's a total loser.
Didn't you hear? She lost the title. That makes her a loser. Like how Michael Jordan is a loser because he lost the playoffs(or didn't make it to the playoffs) all but six times in his career. Or how Tom Brady is a loser because he lost two of the six Super Bowls he's been in. You know what this means? Floyd Money Mayweather is the winner![footnote]I'm not mocking Broslinger here as I'm fairly sure his comment was tongue in cheek. However, there has been a healthy share of sports dumbasses acting like Rousey's career is over now, which is what I'm mocking. These are the same dumbasses that thought Brady and the Patriots were over because they got whooped on by the Chiefs during the 2014 regular season...before the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl.[/footnote]

OT: Not so hot on that. She doesn't seem to really have the acting chops...if those would be required for the role. That said, I would love to see someone in the role that actually has some fucking triceps!

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
the December King said:
Did Ronda do something offensive? I'm getting a vibe from the forum that Ronda has fallen out of favour- or that she's just not cool, either way (I don't really have time to look into it just now, so pardon my ignorance).
I think she's become media-saturated to the point where a lot of people are either fed up of her, or are starting to consider her something of a villain.

- Was ridiculously over-hyped by both herself and her annoying fanbase: she could win against any man or woman alive, Mayweather better watch his back, etc
- Made a very poor show against Holly Holm, getting her butt utterly handed to her
- Since the defeat has been making various pathetic noises of self-pity

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
(FWIW, she would totally fight one Mew-sized Mewtwo over 100 Mewtwo-sized Mews if given the option.)
Sounds like the right move. Mew and Mewtwo's real strength is in their psychic power anyhow, so 100 Mewtwo-sized Mews would just mean you'd have 100 times the psychic power to deal with.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sure, she can throw a punch but play the lead role in a beloved franchise? Last I heard she wasn't a good actor.

And I'd like to play Mario in an upcoming Mario movie. Hell, I'd like to do all kinds of things that result in a massive paycheck with potential franchise promise.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
the December King said:
Did Ronda do something offensive? I'm getting a vibe from the forum that Ronda has fallen out of favour- or that she's just not cool, either way (I don't really have time to look into it just now, so pardon my ignorance).
She was kind of a progressive icon for a little while, but then someone found out that she had said something transphobic in the past, so there was a huge backlash against her. Of course, because opinions on those kinds of subjects are always extreme, she flipped straight from being a feminist hero to being an irredeemable villain in many places (and many media outlets).

OT: I could see her as Samus, I suppose, but to be fair I could see practically anyone as Samus. It's the suit that's the important part, the person underneath barely matters.

I haven't actually played all (or even most) of the metroid games, but is Samus really a physical fighter at all? She does lots of rolling around in a 2 foot tall sphere, and lots of shooting, and that's pretty much it as far as I can recall... There's nothing wrong with depicting her as a muscular fighter like Ronda Rousey, but there'd be nothing wrong with going for another direction either.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Lunncal said:
the December King said:
She was kind of a progressive icon for a little while, but then someone found out that she had said something transphobic in the past, so there was a huge backlash against her. Of course, because opinions on those kinds of subjects are always extreme, she flipped straight from being a feminist hero to being an irredeemable villain in many places (and many media outlets).

OT: I could see her as Samus, I suppose, but to be fair I could see practically anyone as Samus. It's the suit that's the important part, the person underneath barely matters.

I haven't actually played all (or even most) of the metroid games, but is Samus really a physical fighter at all? She does lots of rolling around in a 2 foot tall sphere, and lots of shooting, and that's pretty much it as far as I can recall... There's nothing wrong with depicting her as a muscular fighter Ronda Rousey, but there'd be nothing wrong with going for another direction either.
That's a really good point, actually. I kinda hate the idea of her arm-barring her way across the galaxy when, at least in the games I played, she was all about the arm cannon, sphere attacks and cool jumps.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
erttheking said:
Someone who's got some muscle playing Samus as opposed to a super model?

I'm game.
Yeah, even if her acting wasn't brilliant, it would be nice to see Samus played by someone who could plausibly do the things Samus can do.
You mean sit her ass in a power suit that is powerful for the majority of the Metroid lore?

I'm not sure Samus herself actually has to be strong. I don't even really recall her ever punching or grappling her way to success. An actual female soldier would technically be more qualified in this area.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Lunncal said:
the December King said:
Wasn't her topic regarding transfemales in the UFC having an advantage?

At some point people are going to have to realize that all benefits of being a man for the first 20 years of your life don't go away after two years of estrogen. From bone structure (public angle makes a bigger difference than one might think), bone density, organ size to sex-linked traits like reaction time. They have an unfair physical advantage whether they are females or not and it is justified for a female fighter to acknowledge these things. There is a reason why there have been such a significant number of transfemales competing at the top levels in multiple womens sports including everything from UFC to women's golf. Though I'm still not sure how the heck being transfemale would translate into being a better golfer. Perhaps pelvic angle and disproportionate strength?

Now, if she said something other than that then I am simply unaware of it.

Note: This comment brought to you by me, husband of a transman. So think twice about where I'm coming from when I acknowledge that a transfemale isn't necessarily on equal footing with a non-trans female. If you have a fair counterpoint, please bring it up but at least consider that my comment here isn't from the perspective of a bigot before responding.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I feel like the only way a Metroid movie would work would be if they made it like Dredd. A very barebones story, and her just fighting her way to Ridley or Mother Brain.

Therefore, Ronda would be acceptable because she would have barely any dialogue.

Knowing movies though, they would try to add a typical hollywood story and it would be complete shit like every other video game movie(except Mortal Kombat :D). Why don't they learn...

Or they would cast a man...and the internet would explode and show the true capacity of mankinds cruelty and malice.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
I know, I'm not particularly attached to her, it's just that the concept is depressingly novel.
Fair enough. I'd just generally like to skip the first female Blernsball player and go straight to the first good female blernsball player.

When it comes to someone like Rousey, I see her showing up in a Metroid movie and being used by "the usual suspects" as an example why tough girls don't work in these movies (when it's really that such a movie is no longer pandering to them specifically). Rousey as Samus, or Captain Marvel (the last character she wanted to play) is novel, yes. But that's about it.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Lightknight said:
Lunncal said:
the December King said:
Wasn't her topic regarding transfemales in the UFC having an advantage?

At some point people are going to have to realize that all benefits of being a man for the first 20 years of your life don't go away after two years of estrogen. From bone structure (public angle makes a bigger difference than one might think), bone density, organ size to sex-linked traits like reaction time. They have an unfair physical advantage whether they are females or not and it is justified for a female fighter to acknowledge these things. There is a reason why there have been such a significant number of transfemales competing at the top levels in multiple womens sports including everything from UFC to women's golf. Though I'm still not sure how the heck being transfemale would translate into being a better golfer. Perhaps pelvic angle and disproportionate strength?

Now, if she said something other than that then I am simply unaware of it.

Note: This comment brought to you by me, husband of a transman. So think twice about where I'm coming from when I acknowledge that a transfemale isn't necessarily on equal footing with a non-trans female. If you have a fair counterpoint, please bring it up but at least consider that my comment here isn't from the perspective of a bigot before responding.
Yeah, pretty much the above thoughts about transwomen in MMA and her shooting holes in questions about gender pay-gap in sports which interviewers put to her in interviews are how she lost favour with "progressive" and "SJW" types. I have paraphrased slightly, but here are the bare bones...

The trans argument-

"RR: I have been grappling for most of my life and the bone structure of the person, which is determined in most cases years before transition, is an important element of physique for fighting, as are testosterone levels and the effects that they have on muscle mass. Even post-op transwomen often have higher levels of testosterone, which are often countered with anti-androgens.

Ideologues who never trained MA: That's transphobic! A transwoman is exactly the same as a cisgender woman!"

And the gender pay gap one-

"Reporter: Don't you think it's unfair, as a woman, that Floyd Mayweather gets paid more than you?

RR: Not really. We compete in different sports and he's the biggest draw in his sport. I get paid well compared to other UFC fighters because I am the biggest draw in my sport and the UFC is fairly gender equal: there's no WUFC, just a UFC."

Also ROFLMAO at all the keyboard warriors whose life experience of martial arts was going to a karate class as a kid, walking up and down in a line, getting bored and quitting. No, tell me again how Ronda Rousey is shit cos she lost one fight. That is a competition, whereas life is a bell-curve. Losing a fight at the top international level doesn't mean that you are a bad fighter. Even getting to that position, much less becoming the champ, means that you are so far right on the bell curve that as far as an average person is concerned, you are deep in BAMF territory.

Let me put it another way. I have over 14 years of martial arts training. Some silly stuff (Taekwondo for 2 years), some MMA stuff (BJJ and Muay Thai) some murdery stuff (Kali, Silat and Wing Chun) and I have long ago given up on ever being as good as anyone who competes in the UFC.

As for her playing Samus? Good luck to her, if she wants to. Acting is less physically demanding than professional MMA and a lot of former UFC stars have been in movies. While MMA is a race to get as good as you can before 40, when injuries and physical slowdown force almost all stars to retire, actors can keep improving their acting skills for their whole lives.

If anything, I would say that videogame-based films are perhaps the best genre for professional athletes to break into the movies: no-one expects you to be Oscar-worthy (consider the spotty history of the genre) your physique is helpful for action scenes etc. Also, considering criticisms of how bland and featureless Samus was in recent iteratons, such as "Other M", a so-so actress might actually work better.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Benny Blanco said:
Yeah, pretty much the above thoughts about transwomen in MMA and her shooting holes in questions about gender pay-gap in sports which interviewers put to her in interviews are how she lost favour with "progressive" and "SJW" types. I have paraphrased slightly, but here are the bare bones...

The trans argument-

"RR: I have been grappling for most of my life and the bone structure of the person, which is determined in most cases years before transition, is an important element of physique for fighting, as are testosterone levels and the effects that they have on muscle mass. Even post-op transwomen often have higher levels of testosterone, which are often countered with anti-androgens.

Ideologues who never trained MA: That's transphobic! A transwoman is exactly the same as a cisgender woman!"
She simply isn't wrong. One of the biggest differences that frequently goes unnoticed too is reaction time. The male sex has an advantage in reaction time that hormones aren't going to change and in a fight that can be tremendous.

And the gender pay gap one-

"Reporter: Don't you think it's unfair, as a woman, that Floyd Mayweather gets paid more than you?

RR: Not really. We compete in different sports and he's the biggest draw in his sport. I get paid well compared to other UFC fighters because I am the biggest draw in my sport and the UFC is fairly gender equal: there's no WUFC, just a UFC."
Ah, that explains why she isn't liked by feminists. Feminists are actually frequently at odds with transgendered people (oddly enough) so much so that I would have been surprised even if she had been actually anti-trans if that would have made any kind of flurry in the feminism community at large.

But explain that the pay gap difference is fair because it is proportionate to the money the fighter is bringing in? That will get you shit from women thinking that a female fighter should make more than her event makes just because men are bringing in a ton more money to the event and ergo getting paid more money themselves.

Also ROFLMAO at all the keyboard warriors whose life experience of martial arts was going to a karate class as a kid, walking up and down in a line, getting bored and quitting. No, tell me again how Ronda Rousey is shit cos she lost one fight. That is a competition, whereas life is a bell-curve. Losing a fight at the top international level doesn't mean that you are a bad fighter. Even getting to that position, much less becoming the champ, means that you are so far right on the bell curve that as far as an average person is concerned, you are deep in BAMF territory.
Yeah, champions lose fights too. I think people always saw her as particularly nasty and arrogant. So they wanted to see her fall eventually even if they respected her in the meantime. I think her biggest problem in that fight was her plan to box an Olympic boxer for the whole damn thing rather than playing to her own strong suits. People have off days and I bet a rematch would go in her favor.