Roseanne cancelled

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I guess thats cool she was punished for being an exceptional douche but it sucks that they did in such a way as to also punish a bunch of bystanders who just drew a paycheck from working on the show.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Hawki said:
altnameJag said:
Oh no, whatever you do, don't cancel Bill Maher. Leftists would hate* that.
Um, wouldn't they? Bill Maher is left leaning.
Maher is a child throwing handfuls of poop around the room. More of his rectal produce ends up on "the right" than "the left," but he's still just a shit-flinging kid at the end of the day.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wait, I read the section on "What Barr said on Twitter," that was it? I wouldn't exactly call that a rant. Racist "joke" maybe. I dunno, after all that hype I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting something a lot worse for something that got a whole show cancelled.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
"smirks"

LOL, thats something I never heard said about Georgie Boy.
That's something she got actually somewhat right. Soros was a Nazi collaborator back in the 40s. Sold out jewish people to the Nazis despite being jewish himself, of course. Fuck that guy.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Ender910 said:
jademunky said:
All this makes me realize (with the exception of HBO) just how bad all pre-netflix TV really was. I tried watching Seinfeld the other day and just had to turn it off ten minutes in. Dear God sitcoms are awful.
Your ignorance is most amusing. Please, do continue.
I was raised on a steady diet of 90's (and late 80's) television. I know all to well of which I speak.

For every Muppet Show or MST3K there were 100 Suddenly Susan's

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Hawki said:
altnameJag said:
He might be left leaning, but he is pretty thoroughly hated or mocked by the left. The pro-idpol left hates him because he is a bigot, and the idpol-neutral/anti-idpol left mocks him because he is a cringey liberal moron.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Avnger said:
Hawki said:
altnameJag said:
Maher is a child throwing handfuls of poop around the room. More of his rectal produce ends up on "the right" than "the left," but he's still just a shit-flinging kid at the end of the day.
What are you on about? Maher is famous for his left of center views and its only the super extreme far far FAR left that think he's even a little bit right.
The most right-wing thing Bill Maher ever did was have Milo on his show, and even then he called Milo a right-wing impish fag who shouldn't be taken seriously to Milo's face. though to be fair, both Milo and the audience applauded.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Samtemdo8 said:
"smirks"

That's something she got actually somewhat right. Soros was a Nazi collaborator back in the 40s. Sold out jewish people to the Nazis despite being jewish himself, of course. Fuck that guy.
Nah, that's an old lie on par with that photo of Oskar Groening that idiots keep claiming is Soros.

George Soros, the 14 year old Jew, had forged papers claiming he was Christian and his dad bribed a Nazi official to claim him as a godson.

Like, hate the guy for shit he's done. Like, being really good at being a multi-national Neo-liberal billionaire. Currency speculation should be evil enough

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Avnger said:
Hawki said:
altnameJag said:
What are you on about? Maher is famous for his left of center views and its only the super extreme far far FAR left that think he's even a little bit right.
The most right-wing thing Bill Maher ever did was have Milo on his show, and even then he called Milo a right-wing impish fag who shouldn't be taken seriously to Milo's face. though to be fair, both Milo and the audience applauded.
I was mostly referring to the bigoted bullshit he has a habit of saying recently in particular about Islam (example critique of those statements).

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
Saelune said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
jademunky said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
At least there's Tim Allen's show, right?
Really?

Oh wow there actually is.

All this makes me realize (with the exception of HBO) just how bad all pre-netflix TV really was. I tried watching Seinfeld the other day and just had to turn it off ten minutes in. Dear God sitcoms are awful.
Which is all the more funny when you consider the fact that his show was canned and they brought it back. So, here's hoping he doesn't go on a racist tirade!

Also yes, sitcoms are terrible and they are just so paint by the numbers. I can't remember the last one I watched since it's been so long since the last time I watched anything on TV.
Tim Allen is a right-winger and his last show was very popular among right-wingers.
Politically this is true, but I don?t get the impression of the man that he?s also a raving mad bastard who hates black or trans-people. I mean, he?s been at the bottom rung since he did time in federal prison for cocaine dealing.
Yeah, Tim has been pretty good about not (openly) saying anything offensive.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
altnameJag said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Samtemdo8 said:
"smirks"

Nah, that's an old lie on par with that photo of Oskar Groening that idiots keep claiming is Soros.

George Soros, the 14 year old Jew, had forged papers claiming he was Christian and his dad bribed a Nazi official to claim him as a godson.

Like, hate the guy for shit he's done. Like, being really good at being a multi-national Neo-liberal billionaire. Currency speculation should be evil enough
To add, the collaborator conspiracy seems to come from the brief time he spent working for the Jewish council where he lived, the council apparently sent out letters asking members of the seminary to report, where they were likely to be interned and sent to Germany. Pulled from Snopes, but sourced from an interview with the man's father:

"As Jews couldn?t go to school any more and their teachers couldn?t teach, they were ordered to report to council headquarters. The children were enlisted as couriers under the command of their teachers. My younger son, George, also became a courier. On the second day he returned home at seven in the evening.

?What did you do all day??

?Mostly nothing. But this afternoon I was given some notices to deliver to various addresses.?

?Did you read what they said??

?I even brought one home.?

He handed me a small slip of paper, with a typewritten message:

SUMMONS

You are requested to report tomorrow morning at 9 o?clock at the Rabbinical Seminary in Rokk Szildrd Street. Please bring with you a blanket, and food for two days.

THE JEWISH COUNCIL

?Do you know what this means?? I asked him.

?I can guess,? he replied with great seriousness. ?They?ll be interned.?

Children are often good guessers. I wondered whether he knew what being interned meant. Did this child of mine realize that these people would be deported to Germany and very possibly murdered? I felt too ashamed of the world I had brought him into to enlighten him.

?The Jewish Council has no right to give people orders like that,? I told him. ?You are not to work there any more.?

?I tried to tell the people I called on not to obey,? he said, clearly disappointed that I wouldn?t let him work any more. He was beginning to enjoy his career as a courier: it was all a big adventure."

At worst, he was a kid that didn't seem to realize the full scope of what happened to people at the time, given that a lot of adults didn't realize what was happening to the Jews that were being deported I would hardly call it collaborating, on top of the whole, only doing it for two days at the behest of his teachers, thing.

The only other source of these theories I can ever find is his 60 minutes interview where when he was 14 and pretending to be Christian he went with the government bureaucrat he was staying with once to witness the cataloguing of possessions left behind by a wealthy Jewish family that left items behind for confiscation in order to buy passage to Portugal, so according to him (and his father) he never witnessed families directly having things taken away from them, the estate was already abandoned by the family itself while he was there. Even in the 60 minute interview he walks back the statement to try and clarify that he did not confiscate anything himself. To believe this conspiracy requires believing that Soros himself admitted to helping confiscate items, and that him clarifying the statement in the same interview to explain why he did not feel guilty was then a lie.

The guy is a billionaire currency speculator that funds left wing partisan groups similar to the Koch brothers on the right, there's plenty of criticisms, questions and condemnations you can lay at his feet without calling a fucking 14 year old a Nazi collaborator

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
wow she's a moron.
pro tip to anyone working for anything with a connection to Disney.
don't say racist things (even as a joke) and don't spread conspiracy theories.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wow, object lesson that rich famous people aren't bulletproof on Twitter. Let's just hope that lesson falls on deaf ears. I may have finally found a use for Twitter and social media in general... its a club the populace can use to bash the powerful too stupid to use it responsibility. Or a club to bash anyone too stupid to use it without revealing how much of an awful person they are.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well...yeah, ok, you don't want to associate yourself with her.

But...why did you want to associate with her beforehand? She's been at this sort of thing for years?

EDIT: https://www.buzzfeed.com/marcusjones/roseanne-barr-tweets-that-werent-repugnant-enough-for?utm_term=.dqMj4qa7n#.phMPVOEKQ

Buzzfeed has collected a few of her earlier things.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
But...why did you want to associate with her beforehand? She's been at this sort of thing for years?
This is the part I'm finding a tad confusing. It's not like any of this is out of character for Barr, or, by historic Roseanne Barr standards, even particularly egregious.

The whole "We're shocked -- SHOCKED! -- to find out that Roseanne Barr is a grade-A fruitloop who routinely pops off with weird and/or offensive comments on a regular basis" thing rings more than a tad hollow when she's been doing this literally for decades.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
jademunky said:
Yeah man, and all music sucked before The Beatles as well.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Myria said:
I think she was profitable so long as she was never directly racist. Calling Blackish a black version of her show is edgy and stupid and wrong, but not inherently racist. Racial sure, but not racist. Everyone knew she was racist, but she was toeing the line with her show.
It was only after she directly went over the line that ABC had to step in for damage control. And they knew it'd happen sooner or later.