RPG Character Appearance

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I shake things up, but pretty much never do anything too silly, as I like a sense of immersion. For whatever reason though, almost every character I've ever made in anything has blue eyes. Probably because I have blue eyes. Or I'm half of an aryan supremacist. Or I just like blue eyes. Take your pick.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have 3 common characters in games. The first is Puriel Nightslayer, the Paladin. Puriel is, to the best extent, relatively tall, with light blonde hair, and she either has striking blue/purple eyes, or white/light grey eyes depending on options availiable. She came from the idea of a warrior angel, hence the Paladin job, so agngelic is how I get her to look.

The second is Xa'ati Baniin. He is a pirate, with a likeness to Salladhor Saan from Song of Ice and Fire. He is usually of a persian/carribean persuasion (again, depending on the options availiable) and is large burly, feirce looking hair/facial hair (Nearly always have a plaited beard) and will only carry dual Scimitars and usually has some sort of familiar/summon power (called polly! :p)

The last is the druid/ranger/sneaky archer called Daedhrogon Deathstalker. Normally an elf/elf-human, relatively short and slight, and the rest of the features change depending on how I feel!

To be honest.. the characters are more about the personalities, and the role playing, than the appearance. But I do like to make look as similar as possible. It's fun playing the same characters across different RPGs.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
Aah Dark Souls, where you can spend hours playing with the sliders, tweaking your perfect character... then spend 95% of the game either in a full-face helmet, or as a zombie with its face rotting off. Reminds me of Elder Scrolls, where hours are spent designing the perfect character, for me to then play the whole game in First Person and never see them.

Not that I'd ever give up those happy hours with the character creator.

My characters used fairly generic looking, attractive and athletic men and women - usually white - but more and more I've been finding joy in creating really unique looking characters. A short, stocky black woman with a large, squashed nose and small, squinty eyes. A weedy man with an awful, bright red haircut (such as one of those horrible obligatory "bowl cuts" RPGs usually stick in their character creators) and a scar disfiguring his face. A handsome, tattoo covered man with piercing eyes.

If there's a way to change how your character looks, I like to use it throughout the game as well: for example in DA2 I would have my Hawke look young and a bit rough during Act 1, very well groomed during Act 2 because of the rise to nobility, and by Act 3 the years are beginning to show: Hawke is experienced, and tired.

This goes hand in hand with the actual "role playing" aspect: I completely ignore any morality filters, approval ratings, and so on. I decide what kind of person my character is at the start of the game (trying to make them interesting to play and think about), then choose what they would choose. The black woman is brash and unfriendly, but has a heart of gold. The red-haired man is polite and soft spoken, but coldly logical and would burn a town to the ground if he thought it necessary. The tattooed man is charming, but will seek to turn any situation to his personal advantage and uses people (men and women) as disposable items. If anything happens that would be of particular significance to them, their perspective might change because of it, and somebody who started the game idealistic might end it bitter, or vice-versa.

Obviously a lot of the above depends on the game and how much flexibility it gives you, but I find I get a lot more enjoyment from RPG games this way, and my characters stick in my head a lot longer than the generic good guy or bad girl, always picking the "right" choice.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
GZGoten said:
if it's a male I try to make them look like Jaffar from Disney's Aladin
if it's a female I try to make them as close a possible look like this [http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/166/f/b/u8k79mlatj_wkrywibrjxcft_8f_6lifqfdp_uty_gi_by_ceroxide-d694c66.jpg]
I fixed the URL for you, but what it links to may be against the CoC. I'm not sure, you'd have to ask a mod - they might just say you have to put it in
spoiler tags like this.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I tend to be boring as hell when it comes to that. Especially my Fallout 3 guy - male, short brown hair, nothing else remotely distinguishable about him. He wore armor for most of the game anyway so it was fine. As soon as I could I slapped a helmet on him and tried to forgot I was controlling the personification of John Smith.

I did go to more effort with Skyrim. Female (human still... baby steps), tanned skin (I wanted her black but the skin tone didn't go that dark), long white hair, big scar on her face. It made her stand out a tad more. She didn't get a helmet for a very long time.

I'm gonna be starting Fallout New Vegas soon and...

Roofstone said:
I tend to go for tomboyish and if possible, smaller than average females. In my mind, watching butch men beat up on butch men is boring. Watching a small girl with a sword own ten men twice her size is radical as all hell.
I may well borrow this lovely idea :D That sounds fun! I'm fairly sure swords aren't really a thing in New Vegas but same dynamic I'm guessing; everyone she encounters will immedtiately underestimate her cause she's small, and will likely pay for that mistake ;)

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
I generally try to make my characters look as close to me as humanly possible, but few games allow me to even get remotely close. I got pretty close with Dragon's dogma and the White knight chronicles series, (Had to buy my hair, ended up making my hair purple later in the game.) Those two game's being at the top, I'd rate my success of recreating myself in rpgs being: Guild Wars > Skyrim > World of Warcraft: Wrath of the lich king > Ragnarok oddessy > Morrowind > Mugen souls* > Dark souls = Soul sacrifice = Oblivion.

*Its in chibi form and I had to trick my eyes into believing the wheat skin is darker than it actually is.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I usually take certain elements of my own appearance (very pale skin, grey eyes, redhead of some description) and then just go with what I think looks best for that particular character in terms of facial features and proportions, hairstyle etc. The result is that most of my characters share a few basic, superficial features with me but they all look quite different from me and from each other.

I also tend to add in the odd scar or facial tattoo when appropriate, because my characters are invariably of the warrior class or its equivalent.

When body type is customisable, I usually make my characters as muscular as possible (which is never really very muscular at all, because female character models)

Oh yeah, and my characters are always female, because so am I and I largely play RPGs to play out the warrior/hero fantasies I've had since childhood.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I'm all over the place. Sometimes I like normalcy while other times I'll take vibrant hair colors and red eyes. I'm noticeably more observant to games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect so I'll try to make a character without much of a silly appearance. That way, I'll pay more attention to Shepard's dialogue rather than his bright red, little stubble.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I tend to make them look like me in a way (black hair and asain) well I tend to go for the cooler spiky looking hair then the rounded one (whay my hair really look like).