Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Twad said:
Chrono Trigger is fun for everyone
I was going to post this. Since you can emulate it on pretty much any piece of hardware, its accessible, the gameplay is easy to understand and the story is light, but really serious to get engaged in. It's honestly the best JRPG out there, and if you want to start simple, JRPGs are the best.

I saw someone else suggest Diablo 2, and instinctively I thought that was a bad idea, but then I remembered that my sister played it, and she doesn't really play games often. It still might be a little hard (especially Duriel on the first playthrough), but if JRPGs are too slow, it might be the next step up.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Timmaaaah said:
Sion_Barzahd said:
Malicious said:
RPG's are too hard core for newcomers.
I disagree, the first game i ever played as a child was FF7, and i 100% it without fault.

Early final fantasy games are a good choice, they've got a nice difficulty curve and mechanics which follow the 'simple to learn hard to master' rule.
Dude, that was FF7. Before JRPGs sucked. That was back when the game that taught you and was easy to figure out as you progressed. RPGs these days (the ones that look prettier) are generally boring as hell and extremely unintuitive.
Ah, but if the girls never played an RPG before what will she know of, or care for it's intuitiveness.
I know at first i never cared for game mechanics or intuitiveness or many other things i see and care for in games now.

Udyrfrykte

Jun 16, 2008
SimuLord said:
Edit: So what's my point? It's that getting a non-gamer into gaming is harder than you think, and it might be impossible. Hope you've got a lot of other stuff in common with this girl or your entire relationship might be founded on flawed principles (and trust me, I know where that leads, having ended up married to a girl who had only tangential interests in common with mine---but had stonking great tits and a high sex drive, in case you wondered how it all came together.)
We are just trying this for the fun of it. If she never again touches a game it wouldn't bother me. We've been together for over a year, it's not like we're a fresh, fiery couple. Gaming won't be the end of us, it's just trying to spice things up. Think of it as experimenting in bed, only with the relationship

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Udyrfrykte said:
SimuLord said:
Edit: So what's my point? It's that getting a non-gamer into gaming is harder than you think, and it might be impossible. Hope you've got a lot of other stuff in common with this girl or your entire relationship might be founded on flawed principles (and trust me, I know where that leads, having ended up married to a girl who had only tangential interests in common with mine---but had stonking great tits and a high sex drive, in case you wondered how it all came together.)
We are just trying this for the fun of it. If she never again touches a game it wouldn't bother me. We've been together for over a year, it's not like we're a fresh, fiery couple. Gaming won't be the end of us, it's just trying to spice things up. Think of it as experimenting in bed, only with the relationship
Experimenting in bed would be more fun. Instead of getting her to do role-playing on the console/PC, maybe you should have her role-playing someplace else...

"OK, honey, now put on the Manchester United kit, it's time to practise your headers..."

kidigus

Nov 17, 2009
I dont' recomend jumping right into the RPGs. Try a simple FPS like l4d2 so she can get the basics of ranged and meele combat down first.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
why the hell did you suggest a rpg? Get her to play a plat-former like a Mario game. If she plays a rpg or jrpg youve lost her for life

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
Udyrfrykte said:
So, I've been telling her that she should try out a game some time, since she's had close to NONE gaming experience before in her life, and like the nerd I am gaming is dear to me.
I suggested she should play a nice RPG, since it's rather slow paced and focus on story and all that.
Anyone got tips? And possibly dont bring on superweird JRPGS with furries and tentacles, she's not nerdy at all. I've thought about FF7 though (I've mostly just played/enjoyed the FF series).

oh, and for PC! And a somewhat older game, it's for an old laptop. Or possibly for the Wii (if there are any decent RPGs on Wii and if i can part with it for some time)
You can get baldurs gate 2 and play together! or Neverwinter Nights, tis what i did with my gf :)

Now she is a gaming fiend, she finished GTA4 before I did LMAO

Boxpopper

Feb 5, 2009
sumanoskae said:
How old of a PC?. If you can, get her TES 4, it's a pretty easy pill to swallow
Yeah that's what I was going to suggest. And if you can get her to play Morrowind, you've got it good ;)

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
Udyrfrykte said:
Lots of replies, seems like KOTOR is heavily favored.
I'm kinda sceptical though. Wouldn't she be thrown off by the whole star wars universe with all its associated nerdyness?

I might do what some have already said here and toss her the Sims, but I was thinking a RPG would be the type of game to get her hooked and involved.
I think they are suggesting KOTOR for the writing and for the ease of the turn-based combat. I wouldn't worry too much about the sci-fi aspect of it. I would throw lit matches at George Lucas and don't even like the original three movies, but I like KOTOR.

If you want to stay away from outer space but still want to give BioWare a shot, try Jade Empire.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Sion_Barzahd said:
Timmaaaah said:
Sion_Barzahd said:
Malicious said:
RPG's are too hard core for newcomers.
I disagree, the first game i ever played as a child was FF7, and i 100% it without fault.

Early final fantasy games are a good choice, they've got a nice difficulty curve and mechanics which follow the 'simple to learn hard to master' rule.
Dude, that was FF7. Before JRPGs sucked. That was back when the game that taught you and was easy to figure out as you progressed. RPGs these days (the ones that look prettier) are generally boring as hell and extremely unintuitive.
Ah, but if the girls never played an RPG before what will she know of, or care for it's intuitiveness.
I know at first i never cared for game mechanics or intuitiveness or many other things i see and care for in games now.
She will care about how intuitive it is... All newcomers to games NEED intuitiveness so they can actually know how to play the game. They won't be looking for anything, they'll just want to play the game

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
i would say oblivion for a start since it got a nice envoriment and alot of scuffy small animals and not the terrible need for violence....i take that back