Rumor: Activision Doesn't Think Female Leads Can Sell Games

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Darktau said:
No, female leads don't sell games, but neither do male leads, it's their backstory that sells them.
I'd love to agree to that but the majority are stupid idiots who are sexists.

Replying to the thread, Chell. Enough said.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Snipped from the other thread:

Uh....Sarah Louise Kerrigan?

She was in this little known game called Starcraft?

So Chell/GLADos, Joanna Dark, The Agent: Kate Archer, Faith Connors, Alyx Vance, Princess Peach, Tifa Lockhart, Cassandra/Sophitia Alexandra, Chun Li/Cammy White/Rose Bison, Rubi Malone, Nariko, Claire Redfield/Jill Valentine, Anna/Nina Williams, Miranda Keyes, Mileena/Kitana, Chai Xianghua, Cortana, Zoey/Rochelle, Damsel/Tourette/Velvet Velour/Pisha/Ming-Xiao, The Path's Sisters, Ashleigh Williams, Sailor Moon, Wonder Woman, Buffy Summers/Willow, Aeryn Sun, Leia Organa, ALICE, Gatchaman Jun, Princess Zelda, Sarah Connor or Dana Scully couldn't sell games?

And of course, Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Mai Shiranui, Ivy Valentine for the T&A brigade.
Keep in mind they aren't saying female CHARACTERS don't sell games, they are saying that female LEADS don't sell games. Most of the characters you mentioned are not the lead, they are a supporting female cast member.

But, even so...

Are people really trying to argue that because Metroid and Tomb Raider were marginally successful that the male-dominated gaming world accepts female leads?

Here is what Samus Aran has become:

And are we really arguing that Lara Croft is a respectable female lead? Or that there's been a good Tomb Raider game since the late 90s?

Lightning is barely even a character. For most of the game she seems more like a silent protagonist, a side-character in her own game. Most of the dialog and screen time is taken up by her male costars.

Games with actual female leads that have characterization instead of raw sex appeal do not generally sell very well (see Beyond Good and Evil).

Sorry guys but Activision (if this is true) is just responding to an industry trend that we, the consumer, have created. We make the market, and if the market is unfriendly to female leads its our own damn fault. Don't damn Activision for responding to market trends that we control.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
coldalarm said:
If female leads cannot help sell games, pray tell, why has the Tomb Raider series done so well?
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you for the most part, but to be fair it can be argued that a considerable portion of the Tomb Raider fame had more to do with the ladies strapped to Lara rather than Lara herself, and I'm not talking about pistols. (As [user]AcacianLeaves[/user] so vividly demonstrates above me)

OT: If you want to argue sexism that's one thing. The belief of some is that most gamers are male and so identify more readily with a male protagonist. The main issue here imo is that Activision (if the dubious nature of the article is to be overlooked) is under the false impression that image has anything to do with selling games. Yes you can sell games with pretty box art. Yes you can sell games with trailers filled with pyrotechnics and machismo. But once people start playing it and see there's nothing more substantial to the title, sales dwindle away.

However, if there's a well crafted environment, solid controls, intriguing gameplay mechanics and well developed characters and story (if those things are suitable to the game) then you will see strong sales. If you have a strong and well developed cast, there really isn't a boundary as to which gender can play in it. With few exceptions, the character's sex is never focused on, and only at times referenced as it pertains to the events around them. Okay, so you can't have a male playing the part of the "concerned mother who awaits their child's return from the war", but unless it's actual maternal instinct that you are focusing on, there's no problem with "concerned father who awaits their child's return from the war."

Mass Effect 1 and 2 proved that a strong story and well written character sells games, and that the character's gender has no limiting effect on any of those attributes.

*Although as a personal aside, I found the female version of CMDR Shepard to be much more enjoyable, mainly due to the voice actress' excellent delivery of her lines)

And just to be a little shit
Dexter111 said:
Crimsane said:
The replies so far in the thread only illustrate my earlier post's point. The majority of readers seem to be taking a rumor as fact, mostly because it was made into an article. You've legitimized a questionable rumor from equally questionable sources by printing it. Gj.

...Not that I'd be surprised if this particular rumor turned out to be true, but still. >.>
Wth are you on about? How is this a "rumour"?
Probably has to do with the title of the thread.
Rumor: Activision Doesn't Think Female Leads Can Sell Games

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I for one, enjoy games with strong female protagonists and central characters. There's something about watching them grow, develop and rise up to challanges that are normally only faced by their male counterparts that I really enjoy.

On the other hand, maybe their statement (if true) isn't that far off the mark. I mean I know I tend to pass off games that have overly-sexualized and scantily clad women all over it as nothing but fan service to not be worth my time. That's one of the main reasons I don't want to play Bayonetta. I take the game less seriously when I'm given the impression that all the female character is going to do is jiggle and look pretty. Maybe it's only me, but I highly doubt it. I mean if you were given a choice of a game with no substance and girls in bikinis all over it (I'm looking at you Dead or Alive), or a game that offers a good challenge, a good story and a male lead character, which are you going to pick?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Maybe Activision should start asking the people that buy their games what they want. Just a quick tip.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
If this is true, then its probably because of the demographic that Activision is aiming for, prepubescent boys are probably more interested in playing as overly muscular military types than a female.
Im not saying that what they are doing is right, just that from a sales perspective it does make sense

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Where do we begin, aside from Lightning...

Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
GLaDOS (Portal)
Raiden (Metal Gear Solid 2)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Claire Redfield (Resident Evil 2)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil Nemesis)
Yuna (Final Fantasy X, X-2)
Rikku (Final Fantasy X-2)
Alyx Vance (Half Life 2)
Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros. 2) - Come on, who didn't pick her to skip World 4-3?
Sonya Blade (Mortal Kombat)
Amy Rose (Sonic Heroes)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering we pretty much learned Kotick's attitude on women in this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102536-Activision-CEO-Bobby-Kotick-Loses-Lengthy-Legal-Battle] little article, are we to be surprised?
Let the other publishers feel free to fill the hole that Activision is stupid enough to leave empty.
I look forward to more games with female leads. I know one that is coming out...

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Mr. Gency said:
Flamezdudes said:
Firstly, in my opinion Lightning isn't even the lead character in FFXIII since she isn't seen more than others and isn't focused on more than others, she is just shown on the box art and is the first character you see, other than that everyone is evenly distrubuted in terms of screen time.
Well did you buy (or rent, or whatever) the game thinking Lightning was the main character?
Yes i did but that doesn't suddenly make her the main character. If you've played the game you should know what i mean,
They get split up a lot for a lot of the game and even then she isn't focused upon more than others when they're all back together again. She isn't special.

Feb 13, 2008
Hurray Forums said:
Most of those aren't "lead" characters or video game characters, which is what this topic is discussing. http://thesaurus.com/browse/lead+character. I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to say games with females in supplementary or support roles haven't tended to sell well in the past.
AcacianLeaves said:
Keep in mind they aren't saying female CHARACTERS don't sell games, they are saying that female LEADS don't sell games. Most of the characters you mentioned are not the lead, they are a supporting female cast member.
poiumty said:
That's very cute. The point is about female LEADS however, not female supporting characters.
Cheers for being grammar nazis, but if you'll notice what I said was that those characters COULD be LEADS very easily. Which is why I didn't include Samus Aran.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
Oh Activision. You done shoved your foot in your mouth again. There have been plenty of female leads in hit games. I don;t even feel the need to list them because it's so glaringly obvious. I think it's time they use new people for there focus groups cause it sounds like they just used Good ol' boys gamers.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Kinichie said:

Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
GLaDOS (Portal)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Alyx Vance (Half Life 2)
Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros. 2) - Come on, who didn't pick her to skip World 4-3?
Amy Rose (Sonic Heroes)
Sorry about the double post folks.

I don't know about the others but some of them aren't main characters. Glados is an antagonist not the main character. Alyx Vance is an ally, not lead character, same goes for Terra and Yuna (Apart from her X-2 appearance). Are we talking about main characters or the character who you control and who is the most focused upon and is the lead? I'm getting myself confused.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Cheers for being grammar nazis, but if you'll notice what I said was that those characters COULD be LEADS very easily. Which is why I didn't include Samus Aran.
Actually, you didn't say that.

So Chell/GLADos, Joanna Dark...Princess Zelda, Sarah Connor or Dana Scully couldn't sell games?

And of course, Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Mai Shiranui, Ivy Valentine for the T&A brigade.
You used sarcasm to imply that those characters were actually in games that sold quite well. You also mentioned Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, and Chell - who are all leads. You never mentioned that you felt they could potentially be billable lead characters. I hope you understand our confusion.

Whether or not female supporting characters could potentially sell games if they were the lead is really a matter of opinion - and most of the characters you listed have never been in a lead role.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Flamezdudes said:
Kinichie said:

Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
GLaDOS (Portal)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Alyx Vance (Half Life 2)
Amy Rose (Sonic Heroes)

I don't know about the others but some of them aren't main characters. Glados is an antagonist not the main character. Alyx Vance is an ally, not lead character, same goes for Terra and Yuna (Apart from her X-2 appearance). Are we talking about main characters or the character who you control and who is the most focused upon and is the lead? I'm getting myself confused.
Quote from the first post "star female characters." So whether playable or not I think this mean. Females who are at the heart of the story.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Kinichie said:

Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
GLaDOS (Portal)
Chun Li (Street Fighter)
Alyx Vance (Half Life 2)
Amy Rose (Sonic Heroes)

The fact that you included Raiden brings joy to my cold, cold heart.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I'm sure Activision acknowledge that there has been a few female leads but the truth is overall there hasn't been that many.

If a large amount of gamers have some seriously idiotic opinions on "Playing as a girl" then it's good business not to alienate them.

Pointing to many examples of female protagonists how exactly is Laura Croft a good example of a female protagonist when her head is smaller than her Tits?

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Normally I'd be like "oh those silly rumor mills," and have a good laugh.

But it's Activision, so the sad part is that it's probably true.