Rumor: Activision Doesn't Think Female Leads Can Sell Games

dnose

Nov 5, 2009
I think that this story was an employee with an axe to grind. It is very possible, maybe even likely, that Activision used focus groups that said that the female lead didn't suit the style of game that was being presented in "Black Lotus" and asked that in that case, the character be changed to male. As much as I don't like Activision's policies and dickhead of a CEO, I don't think they're so stupid that they forget Lara Croft and many other female leads that sold millions of games. I think that they made that request for this one particular game and this employee with a grudge decided to use that to make Activision look sexist.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Kollega said:
jamesworkshop said:
...but honestly expecting to see tons of women in games based around real-life militarys with extremly restrictive combat roles available to women is perplexing especially in a series with a pretence to realism.
I understand that, but not every game should specifically be about today's military. In science fiction, the powered armour and extensive use of vehicles in combat reduces the gender barrier to basically nothing, and in fantasy with all it's magic... yeah. Just say that "a wizard did it". Not to mention the strategy genre. You see what i mean here, right?

No and they are not but you specifically brought up a lack of women in reguards to only MW of which there has only been two games so far

Quite a big deal was made widely that MW 1/2 didn't have enough women in them despite the real life fact that none of the countries involved even allow women to be in those roles, a game about Navy Seals or SAS also would not have any women in the unit because the real life units are male only.

Blame the military not the game developer slavishly copying them instead of making up thier own fictional militaries.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
It makes sense, at least from my point of view. If we take a game, any game, where I have to control one person that is my representation in the world, such as World of Warcraft, Saints Row 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Guild Wars, Oblivion, or Fallout 3, and then force me to play a female, that's going to take something away from the game for me. Some immersion is lost in that I have to represent myself through a woman, and if I had to play a woman in MMOs, for instance, I don't think I'd play them, because I wouldn't be able to get behind the representation of me, and feel enthusiastic about it.

I don't know how many others feel like that, but it would matter to me. A game just has to be that much better in other aspects if I have to play as a woman, for me to enjoy it as much.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Crimsane said:
The replies so far in the thread only illustrate my earlier post's point. The majority of readers seem to be taking a rumor as fact, mostly because it was made into an article. You've legitimized a questionable rumor from equally questionable sources by printing it. Gj.

...Not that I'd be surprised if this particular rumor turned out to be true, but still. >.>
Wth are you on about? How is this a "rumour"?
Read the Gamasutra article, they interviewed several employees from different developers, just chose not to use any names, and it also offers more insight, not only do they not want "female leads" but they basically just remake games after "proven formulas" and stifle any innovation/diversity or experimentation in any of their products: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29719/InDepth_No_Female_Heroes_At_Activision.php

It's a rumor because their is no proof without names we don't even know if they talking to anyone let alone talked to anyone who makes games or even work for activision in particular.
It makes even less sence when the article recognises that female characters don't prevent games from selling something that would doubley be apparent to people on the money side that even the escapist forum posters with no working knowledge of how to run a busniess can prove the idea false even without hard numbers.

A friend of a friend telling me that Elvis is still alive is a rumor

Originally released in 1996, the Tomb Raider series has racked up over 30 million unit sales, spawned two motion pictures starring Academy Award winner Angelina Jolie and introduced British archaeologist Lara Croft to popular culture.

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines3266.html

Female leads have been in gaming since gaming went mass market with the release of the 100 million plus unit sales of the playstation.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
jamesworkshop said:
Quite a big deal was made widely that MW 1/2 didn't have enough women in them despite the real life fact that none of the countries involved even allow women to be in those roles, a game about Navy Seals or SAS also would not have any women in the unit because the real life units are male only.

Blame the military not the game developer slavishly copying them instead of making up thier own fictional militaries.
There are women capable of passing the training for the SAS. Having women in the SAS would be far less fanciful than most of the things we are supposed to accept in near future games like Modern Warfare.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Big boobs. they must have them. Or they are from a well established franchise. new franchises with female leads that dont have big bust lines and are "badass" don't sell well.

Good recent example Velvet Assassin and Wet. Gameplay is in no small part to blame BUT, the male audience just generally don't care. I can bet DOA: Beach Volleyball sold more than those 2 games XD

Bottom line they need MASSIVE sex appeal for them to work. (All the more reason y Tomb Raider became what it is probably in no small part because of this box art.)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
jamesworkshop said:
You know, i'd rather do the reverse - blame the developers for not being original.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Regardless of whether or not this rumour is true, I am going to say this. I, personally, would love to see a female character have a leading role in a GTA type game. I think it would bring some really valuable variety to the many types of males that have already been used by now. Plus, I think a female perspective on the world of crime would be a very compelling experience.

That said, I think the character would have to be more "down-to-earth" than most female characters tend to be, which might be what puts developers off from using them.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Blurg.

And people wonder why so many female characters either being flagrant eyecandy or completely [a href= "http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6662-Extra-Punctuation-Wet"] unlikeable bitches[/a]. Depictions of guys aren't tremendously better.

Just once, I wish these companies had the foresight to record their conversations with Activision. Whenever someone cries foul, Activision always pulls the "plausible deniability: just look at our official MO" out of they're ass to justify they are not jerks willing to ruin games for a buck.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII had a female lead? I can never tell genders in that series.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Eruanno said:
Uuuuhhhm, what about the coolest villain in very recent memory, Sarah Louise Kerrigan, otherwise known as the Queen of Blades? One of my favorite most badass anti-heroes ever?
Her name was Louise? That from the books or something? Anyway, anti-hero?? That's being a bit generous :p the only heroic thing she ever did was destroying the second overmind and that was totally for her own ends...

Anyway just having a female lead doesn't sell a game (unless she shows her boobs, then it might..) but having one doesn't hurt a game. Metroid is my favourite Nintendo thing by miles.

ENKC said:
Final Fantasy XIII had a female lead? I can never tell genders in that series.
Tell by the voice acting ;) she was Liara from Mass Effect.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
jamesworkshop said:

There are women capable of passing the training for the SAS. Having women in the SAS would be far less fanciful than most of the things we are supposed to accept in near future games like Modern Warfare.
wether they are capable is irrelevant the SAS still can't legally put women on the frontline.
and so no game about the SAS can't realistically have female operatives

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
jamesworkshop said:
wether they are capable is irrelevant the SAS still can't legally put women on the frontline.
The point is that many of these games take place in the future and play fast and loose with realism. Lots of things in the games do not reflect reality. There are several major roadblocks that keep women out of these roles but this is something that is speculated about in reality and so is perfectly acceptable for use in a fictional future setting. Not to mention any roles that women had in historical conflicts that are not always represented in games.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
jamesworkshop said:
The point is that many of these games take place in the future and play fast and loose with realism. Lots of things in the games do not reflect reality. There are several major roadblocks that keep women out of these roles but this is something that is speculated about in reality and so is perfectly acceptable for use in a fictional future setting. Not to mention any roles that women had in historical conflicts that are not always represented in games.
what part of the name "modern warfare" suggests future space combat to you

Halo and Gears of War are future space shooters and yet Halo had female spartans/ODST, Anya will only be a playable character in number 3 but has always been a COG tropper in the story of Gears of war.

Even mass effect had Ashley Williams in the Systems Alliance as a gunnery chief.

Samaus Aran is a bounty hunter in metroid

Isabelle DuFontaine was a French resistance fighter featured in Call of Duty 3.

Lieutenant Tanya Pavelovna (Russian: Òàíÿ Ïàâëîâíà) was a female soldier who fought for the Russians during World War II. Tanya is only seen in the game Call of Duty: Finest Hour. She is also the only playable female character thus far in the series.

Sergeant Anna Posadskaya was a female Red Army soldier who fought in the Battle of Stalingrad during World War II, as seen in Call of Duty: Finest Hour.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
jamesworkshop said:
what part of the name "modern warfare" suggests future space combat to you
Modern Warfare is a near future game. It does not cover historical events. I am not talking about space combat at all.

I also said that you don't always get the impression that women are well enough represented not that they never have any roles.