Rumor: Alien: Isolation Will Feature Ripley's Daughter and Just One Alien

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Article said:
Alien: Isolation will star Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen, who was a child when her mother disappeared after the incident aboard the Nostromo and died three years before she was found.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128891-Rumor-Alien-Isolation-Will-Feature-Ripleys-Daughter-and-Just-One-Alien#qREUpOSADSRJDp24.99
Before she was FOUND???
I guess they mean "found" in the loosest sense of the word, because...
Ripley died "in labor" with an alien queen while plummeting to her death in an industrial incinerator full of molten slag.

Given that she would have been fucking vaporized on contact...

..."Finding" her would be purely heresay at that point, at least for Amanda.

Mahorfeus said:
I really hope that the Amanda Ripley stuff is just a rumor. The Ripley family bloodline doesn't need some contrived space destiny, and the series has already been retconned to hell. The idea that she died of old age without ever getting to see her mother again was a tragic touch that I think just needs to be left alone.
Oh just wait. They're probably going to roll out the usual bag of tropes, make Amanda a bipolar wreck where she transitions from abject fear in cutscenes into a badass ***** with a high tech machinegun in game. Or end it on a cliffhanger with something contrived and really, really stupid. Like Amanda being pregnant with an alien queen (or worse, turning into one; you know, for "synchronicity". Because it worked so fucking well for Alien: Resurrection, right?), or whatever other hackeyed ideas seemed cool and edgy 15+ years ago.

I can't even hope for any hilariously disastrous PR like with Aliens: Colonial Marines. Who the hell is going to blindly buy into another Aliens game after that?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm on the we-need-another-AvP boat. Criterion's was pretty good but lacked a couple key things and that made it stumble and they never picked it back up.

They're looking at where they went wrong with A:CM? EVERYTHING. I'm sure it would have been good if 3/4ths of the things they said were gonna be in there were, and in a finished state.

Seriously, that's all it would have taken. For the game to actually be, you know, complete instead of a half-assed mess. The concept was perfectly sound. They just didn't deliver on it.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
Article said:
Alien: Isolation will star Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen, who was a child when her mother disappeared after the incident aboard the Nostromo and died three years before she was found.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128891-Rumor-Alien-Isolation-Will-Feature-Ripleys-Daughter-and-Just-One-Alien#qREUpOSADSRJDp24.99
Before she was FOUND???
Ripley died "in labor" with an alien queen while plummeting to her death in an industrial incinerator full of molten slag.

[...]
Oh, what Andy means is that Amanda, [Ellen] Ripley's daughter, died three two years before Ellen was found after drifting in space for 57 years, which takes place at the beginning of the movie Aliens.
Convoluted Alien/Aliens Timeline.
Amanda was waiting on Earth during the course of the first movie, Alien, for Ellen's return for her eleventh birthday. It's revealed that Amanda Ripley McClaren died on Earth at the age of 66, so if Sega wants to retain the movie timeline, then it's clear that Amanda survives whatever game they have planned.

Unless you've seen the movie Aliens (and the director's cut at that), it's hard to understand. This alone is reason enough to drop any association with the movie timelines.

nomaner

May 9, 2012
Why do I have the feeling it should be advertised as "Alien: Isolation, now with 75% more Weyland-Yutani."

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
1.31 million copies sold as of the beginning of May, so ya, of course they're going to make another one. If they can get those sales off a shitty game, they might as well make more shitty games. Why change anything? It's obviously working!

I guarantee that they'll show an amazing beta of the game for PR purposes, a million people with very short-terms memories will pre-order it, and then a sub-par game will be delivered. Because fuck you, easily-duped consumer, this is the vidjyo games business!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
there will be only one xenomorph for most of it
Sounds good so far. One enemy would allow a tense, you-are-being-hunted scenario and it fits in with the title nicely.

clones and soldiers will comprise the bulk of the game's enemies.
Oh. Right... so not so much 'isolation' then? More 'Aliens: Clones and Marines Everywhere (plus that Alien we mentioned)'

Stealth and horror will both feature prominently in Isolation, which the source said will be "heavily inspired" by the original Alien.
I don't remember clones or marines in Alien. So I'm kind of getting mixed messages here regarding the 'heavily inspired' bit. And after A:CM I'm going to be ordering several sacks of salt before considering this game. Currently I'm expecting something like Dead Space but based on a movie license and possibly with boobs.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
Article said:
Before she was FOUND???

Mahorfeus said:
I really hope that the Amanda Ripley stuff is just a rumor. The Ripley family bloodline doesn't need some contrived space destiny, and the series has already been retconned to hell. The idea that she died of old age without ever getting to see her mother again was a tragic touch that I think just needs to be left alone.
Oh just wait. They're probably going to roll out the usual bag of tropes, make Amanda a bipolar wreck where she transitions from abject fear in cutscenes into a badass ***** with a high tech machinegun in game. Or end it on a cliffhanger with something contrived and really, really stupid. Like Amanda being pregnant with an alien queen (or worse, turning into one; you know, for "synchronicity". Because it worked so fucking well for Alien: Resurrection, right?), or whatever other hackeyed ideas seemed cool and edgy 15+ years ago.

I can't even hope for any hilariously disastrous PR like with Aliens: Colonial Marines. Who the hell is going to blindly buy into another Aliens game after that?
She grew to adulthood and died (somehow) between the 1st and 2nd Alien movies. Ripley herself didn't die until the end of Alien 3.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I'd be interested in an emergent style game. Theres an event when the contamination starts, and it gets out of hand. But various charachters and people are alive and in station. The number of aliens should directly correlate to your skill in rooting them out and keeping people safe in a dynamic and disaster-prone space station. A couple facehuggers were loose in the infirmary, found the bodies... but who is infected? Do you vent the section to space, or risk notoriously sneaky chestbursters?

Add in some reality for real horror. You gotta eat, sleep, maintain fresh water supplies. Keeping the bare essentials running during a quarantine until the marines arrive would make for a really cool game.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Silly Sega, there's already a better game that's about to release pretty soon.

I must say, good sir, that trailer scared the living bejeesus out of me. I hope the game does well, but its not getting a cent from this little scaredy cat. Scary games be my kryptonite.

Mar 26, 2008
Hang on, won't this just shit all over continuity with Alien: special edition? Ripley is shown information on her daughter Amanda by Burke while she is on the space station and is told she died at age 66 while Ripley was in hypersleep for 57 years. Now we know that Burke is a real company man but nowhere did he mention that Amanda had a run in with the xenomorph and you'd think that might be something you'd mention to motivate Ripley to go back after them (a family "curse" of sorts).

I can see it now, they're going to retcon Aliens so that Burke was handed a redacted file on Amanda and it turns out that she wasn't really dead but it was a convenient cover story to stop Ripley trying to locate her. Instead she is a one woman juggernaut of xenomorph destruction after having an early encounter with them when she was young.

Lord, give me strength!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Oh dear god........

Well, I believe this calls for an

It's Thematic! :D

Seriously....SERIOUSLY?! We just bombed out on ACM, and now they're lining up for ANOTHER ONE?! Good god, give us another AvP as a buffer or something!

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Mcoffey said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Mcoffey said:
EDIT: Why not just go back to Obsidian's Aliens RPG? It looked awesome.
I'm not sure Sega would want to work with Obsidian again after Alpha Protocol bombed
Such a shame. That game rocked my world. Still, Obsidian's done well with Dungeon Siege, Fallout, and (hopefully) South Park. Maybe after enough hits Sega will give em another shot. After all, Colonial Marines itself should show that even a studio with nothing but hits can make a gigantic dud too.
I know... I thought it was an awesome game too. Haven't played Dungeon Siege but I heard that was REALLY polished, New Vegas was AWESOME, and everything I've heard about South Park has been "They nailed it. They fucking nailed it." So hopefully, they do go back to Obsidian's idea but I'm not particularly optimistic

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
Oh, what Andy means is that Amanda, [Ellen] Ripley's daughter, died three two years before Ellen was found after drifting in space for 57 years, which takes place at the beginning of the movie Aliens.
Convoluted Alien/Aliens Timeline.
Amanda was waiting on Earth during the course of the first movie, Alien, for Ellen's return for her eleventh birthday. It's revealed that Amanda Ripley McClaren died on Earth at the age of 66, so if Sega wants to retain the movie timeline, then it's clear that Amanda survives whatever game they have planned.

Unless you've seen the movie Aliens (and the director's cut at that), it's hard to understand. This alone is reason enough to drop any association with the movie timelines.
Ahh. No wonder. I saw the original cut for Alien 3 on VHS ages ago. Didn't think it was that great, but not nearly as bad as most people made it out to be. So for Alien Isolation, I guess we're now looking at either Pointless Continuity or a Retcon.

Neither of which sound inviting.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That title made me think of slash fanfic.

Anyways, that actually sounds enticing. I'd be open to them trying to pull another Tomb Raider on us, that would be nice.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, just take space hulk, swap the marines for marines, the aliens for aliens and the derelict ships for one derelict ship. Et voila.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Well, the Alien franchise hasn't produced anything of value since 1986, but who knows, maybe this time...
Andy Chalk said:
Most or all of the game will be spent aboard a space station, and there will be only one xenomorph for most of it;
...okay, I'm with you so far...

Andy Chalk said:
clones and soldiers will comprise the bulk of the game's enemies.
...fuck. The one lesson they learned from Colonial Marines was "people love fighting humans in a game called Aliens, so let's definitely do that again."

Hey, you know what might be a better idea? A game starring Newt. She managed to survive on her own for weeks in a colony overrun with xenomorphs--why not make a game about that?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...why not another AvP game? Based on Requiem?

You play as a whiny teenager upset that a pretty girl likes someone who isn't you. Which is terrible.

Oh, and there are aliens and stuff that occasionally do things.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Why don't they make a prequel where Jones is fighting Aliens 2 years prior to the Nostromo incident... I hate when they do stuff like this, i don't really care about continuity, but still, it just seems pointless to tell the story about a character whose story we already know... It just seems very improbable that Ripleys daughter would run around doing the same as her mother.

Since i haven't played a decent Alien game since Alien Trilogy and Alien Resurrection, i don't really have that high hopes for this (I have heard very positive things off Alien Infestation though).

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Neta said:
Will she die at the end of the game to explain why she didn't live past 70 in a future where we have space travel but no geriatric care?

Perhaps in the future, 70 is the new 35 and she was in the prime of her alien-fighting life?
I was going to say this grr ... also what if her death at that age was a lie? its been a few years but wasn't it the same guy who tried to get her impregnated with an alien that told ripley?.

that said I'm with most people here it doesn't have to be ripleys daughter and in fact it really shouldn't be.