Rumor: Bethesda Teases Next Fallout With New Website - UPDATED

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
A-D. said:
-Are you trying to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian now?

-The Ghouls moved away, founding towns such as the ones you mentioned....

-Also yes Fallout 3 retcons the shit out of the lore. Here's what Fallout 1 says about ghoulification. A sudden, massive burst of radiation.

-The FEV which mixed with the radiation later added the feature about being essentially ageless and radiation healing them.

-Let me recap for a second. One, sudden, massive burst of radiation....

-But moving on. You are wrong again, The Master was originally from Vault 8. A Control Vault that opened 10 years after the bombs dropped....

-FEV therefore has to play a specific role for this to be valid....

-Camp Searchlight has too little information as to how it was done, all you see is the aftermath....
-Are you?

-And again, nothing stated in any Fallout game ever says or implies that the ghouls in the Midwest were from Bakersfield, they are ghouls who were created in that area the same way all other ghouls are.

-You are aware that nuclear Fallout IS radiation right? a high burst of radiation = a high burst of nuclear Fallout. Do you even understand the concepts you are talking about?

-FEV added nothing to making ghouls live long, ghouls live long due to a mutation caused by the radiation that causes certain cells to rapidly regenerate. As to what stopped them from dieing, it was the genetic x factor.

-and again, one can get that by stepping into a highly irradiated area, while the rest of the world s radiation levels have gone back to normal. and AGAIN, not everyone is a ghoul because of the genetic X factor
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ghoul
"Exposure to radiation typically results in sickness followed by death for the average human being; however, the genetic x-factor that will lead to mutation into a ghoul upon exposure, instead of the typical deadly outcome, remains unknown. "

-And you are wrong AGAIN, because anyone who goes outside is considered a mutant, the Lyons BoS are considered impure themselves for having spent so much time outside in the C.W., whereas the rest of the BoS in Lost Hills are pure because they stay inside all thge time. Being born in a vault does not make one immune to the radiation of the world. Both Harold and the Master had spent many years outside, and had stopped being pure humans long before they touched the FEV.

And no FEV does not decay, ever.

-You can when the devs have said it is just radiation. Also, the Enclave
A. DID just make a version that kills people
B. They needed test subjects so they could code the FEV to attack the "normal" mutant population
C. They did not do tests because they didn't think it would work since people where exposed to the airbone FEV, they did it to, as pointed out above, find the normal mutant genes most post-war people have, so they could tailor the FE to attack them.

-Camp Searchlight has notes o nthe dead Legion bodies that explain how it was done. And FEV is not the genetic X factor as the people in the bakersfield Vault were never exposed to FEV, yet also turned into ghouls, nor where most people in the CW exposed to FEV, and still turned into ghouls, and nor where most people in the midwest exposed to FEV, yet still turned into ghouls. FEV is NOT the X factor, ifit was, everyone would have become a ghoul.

-In short., you are majorly confused about pretty much every major plot point from Fallout 1-New Vegas, and are saying that the devs are wrong about their own game in the process.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
piinyouri said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
A next-gen Fallout title?

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

God knows that the graphics in the recent Fallout games are pretty low-end, a touch up would be nice, or alternatively, a huge expansion of the world, using the same graphics, but using the remaining processor power to deepen the game.
Or better than all that, a new engine to fix the root of all the problems.
They do have the id Tech 5, after all.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
SajuukKhar said:
Therumancer said:
My basic problem comes down to this, everyone wants to see the place where they happen to live be shown to have survived so they can put themselves and their mindset more directly into such a scenario. The problem with this is
that if you start developing one other area it becomes easier to justify doing another, and then after a while your pretty much looking at a non-apocalypse because it seems like people pretty much survived and flourished everywhere.
But Fallout isn't about the apocalypse, its about humanity rebuilding after it.

It shouldn't be an apocalypse, it should be a post-apocalypse.
The point being that there should be nobody left in most of those places due to the apocalypse to do any rebuilding. The idea being that any survivors scrabbling from the wreckage is supposed to be amazing in of itself, you start expanding to the rest of the world in reality (as opposed to insane people perhaps claiming they were there) and then you wind up with a situation where it couldn't have been all that much of an apocalypse, even if we're after it. Europe, Asia, etc... they should all be glass pretty much.

Besides, as I pointed out before, if Europe actually survived groups with high technology like The Enclave and Brotherhood of Steel would have had contact with them, and that would have changed the entire scenario and how things played out, given that these groups are operating entirely based on this being all that is left of the entire planet pretty much.... to do otherwise invokes the "RIFTS" factor I mentioned before, where their central remaining hotbed of human civilization was supposed to be ruin largely by geniuses with super science at their fingertips and tons of psychics and such in their military (although they hate magic). You move on and them come across as being idiots because nobody with their level of sophistication would have missed all these other civilizations out there, and they would not have developed the same way if they weren't the relative isolation, and surrounded by overwhelmingly hostile forces, the way the concept demanded.

Don't get me wrong, I have no real problem with a Post-apocalyptic Europe situation, but not in Fallout. A separate universe should be created for that, it's own game serious, standing on it's own. Sort of like how "Metro" has Russia as the big survivors (in their transit system). "Hellgate: London" was (or I guess I should say 'is' given it's relaunch as FTP) also a European post apocalyptic game, albeit with a supernatural as opposed to technological basis.

Of course what I think likely does not matter, Bethesda is going to do whatever they want and what they think they can make money at, the integrity of the product probably doesn't even fit into their thinking, since they figure once they hammer it into the ground it won't matter given all their piles of money made along the way. I mean after all, even if I don't think it fits, I'll likely play a European Fallout, I'll just insist that even if the game itself is good, it shouldn't have been given a "Fallout" name, and when the serious truly falls apart conceptually I'll be able to pretty much point a finger at that as being the point where Bethesda jumped the shark within it's own continuity.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
SajuukKhar said:
-You are aware that nuclear Fallout IS radiation right? a high burst of radiation = a high burst of nuclear Fallout. Do you even understand the concepts you are talking about?
Well clearly you don't understand the concepts you talking about if you think Nuclear Fallout and Nuclear Radiation are one and the same.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
-Are you?

-And again, nothing stated in any Fallout game ever says or implies that the ghouls in the Midwest were from Bakersfield, they are ghouls who were created in that area the same way all other ghouls are.

-FEV added nothing to making ghouls live long, ghouls live long due to a mutation caused by the radiation that causes certain cells to rapidly regenerate. As to what stopped them from dieing, it was the genetic x factor.

-and again, one can get that by stepping into a highly irradiated area, while the rest of the world s radiation levels have gone back to normal. and AGAIN, not everyone is a ghoul because of the genetic X factor
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ghoul
"Exposure to radiation typically results in sickness followed by death for the average human being; however, the genetic x-factor that will lead to mutation into a ghoul upon exposure, instead of the typical deadly outcome, remains unknown. "

-And you are wrong AGAIN, because anyone who goes outside is considered a mutant, the Lyons BoS are considered impure themselves for having spent so much time outside in the C.W., whereas the rest of the BoS in Lost Hills are pure because they stay inside all thge time. Being born in a vault does not make one immune to the radiation of the world. Both Harold and the Master had spent many years outside, and had stopped being pure humans long before they touched the FEV.

And no FEV does not decay, ever.

-You can when the devs have said it is just radiation. Also, the Enclave
A. DID just make a version that kills people
B. They needed test subjects so they could code the FEV to attack the "normal" mutant population
C. They did not do tests because they didn't think it would work since people where exposed to the airbone FEV, they did it to, as pointed out above, find the normal mutant genes most post-war people have, so they could tailor the FE to attack them.

-Camp Searchlight has notes o nthe dead Legion bodies that explain how it was done. And FEV is not the genetic X factor as the people in the bakersfield Vault were never exposed to FEV, yet also turned into ghouls, nor where most people in the CW exposed to FEV, and still turned into ghouls, and nor where most people in the midwest exposed to FEV, yet still turned into ghouls. FEV is NOT the X factor, ifit was, everyone would have become a ghoul.

-In short., you are majorly confused about pretty much every major plot point from Fallout 1-New Vegas, and are saying that the devs are wrong about their own game in the process.
Lets go over this one more time.

1: It does not state that anywhere, but logic dictates that the bulk to any ghoul population comes from very specific areas. Bakersfield would be one such a place. The creation of ghouls is very specific, and by specific i mean that it wouldnt happen that often by random chance. Consider for a second that the only source of Ghouls in the entire world of Fallout 1 is Bakersfield. We know for certain that people have survived by using the vaults and of course other self-built nuclear shelters. Bakersfield had a Vault which did NOT close completely, the door mechanism was faulty by design to simulate what would happen if humans were subjected to massive amounts of radiation all at once, like say...a space ship going too close to a star or sun for example. Ghouls are the result.

2: No it is not one and the same, any residual radiation is essentially "radiation over time". It doesnt matter how fast it builds up, it is still less than required for the instant ghoulification to occur, otherwise there would be massive amounts of ghouls, essentially the only humans left would be from vaults because the world was literally nuked to hell and back and they did not spend a couple hundred years in bunkers and vaults. Ghouls come from a spike in radiation, by that i mean to use fallout terms 1.000.000 rads in a millisecond (number made up), it is not radiation per second, it is not a 1000 rad threshold, it is literally a dosage that is enough to kill you 20 times over, in the blink of an eye.

3: FEV IS genetic mutation. FEV is the result of the Pan-Immunity Virion Project, which was made to find a cure or immunisation from any and all kinds of chemical and biological weapons prior to the great war. FEV essentially mutates you, very quickly in fact. The FEV which got spread around with the radiation after the bombs dropped is part of what makes ghouls possible. If we go by basic science, alot of radiation kills you, so lets assume it doesnt, it still would not make it possible to allow ghouls to live as long as they do, nor be healed by radiation. And that is not even going into glowing ones. Thats where FEV comes in, it mutates whatever it touches, but since only supermutants were actually subjected to pure FEV, it didnt have the same effect on the rest of the world, or the population. Radiation causes the mutation in the first place, FEV stabilizes it or there would be no Ghouls, or anything we already know at this point, at the very least they would be vastly different.

4: What is the highest radiated area you know from the games? The Glow? Vault 87? Compared to post-war radiation levels, that is low. Consider that by comparison, the Fallout Universe had ten times the amount of nukes we have, their lensman arms race never stopped, in fact it became worse. And on a single day, all of them were used, not just a few, all of them. Our current arsenal of nuclear weapons would be enough to turn our world uninhabitable already, so Fallout already uses some creative license there, cause technically it shouldnt be possible for anyone to be alive, or at least not outside. But consider that even 80 years after the war, the radiation in the Glow was still strong enough to kill you, rapidly. It didnt turn you into a ghoul or something, it just kills you.

5: Purity is a subject of debate, technically speaking most of the Enclave wasnt pure then either, the difference being on a biological level really. I mean you can be a human still, but be "mutated". The term pure and impure is simply whether the genome is still mostly pre-war or already post-war. Except for a very few Vaults, no human has a pre-war genome at this point, they have all mutated, either from necessity, surroundings, radiation or basicly anything. It is however Fact that FEV did mix with the radioactive fallout and became part of it, which means you can not blame any mutation solely on either radiation or FEV, except for the Supermutants, Floaters and Centaurs, which are essentially FEV-dipped. Also yes, FEV decays, everything decays. Entropy is a thing that exists and affects everything, which means eventually FEV would lose some of its properties, how long that is i dont know, but eventually it wouldnt even make you into a Supermutant anymore unless new FEV is produced, if all you have is the old pre-war stuff, its gonna lose its effects eventually.

6: As i pointed out, it cant be just radiation. That is simply false, unless they retcon that Radiation turns FEV off, it does not work that way. We can argue what caused a mutation, but FEV is part of that, the difference being how much was caused by it. Also, as i pointed out, they have done several test-runs, not all of which were effective. For Scientists who basicly should know how stuff works, given they are basicly the most advanced there are, it should not take them this long to figure out how to tune the FEV to kill people. Which means that something in impure humans made FEV less effective, if not ineffective as a weapon against them, hence why they had to spend as much time to try and find something that worked on everyone and everything.

7: If radiation causes everything, everyone would be a ghoul. I refer you to point 1,2 and 3. As well as another post i made before you quotes me. Its on page 5 as well.

8: If your version would be the Devs intent, then i have missed their massive retcon from 1 to 2, from 1 and 2 to 3 and from 3 to NV. Because i am going by what is shown in all 4 games. I aint pulling this out of my ass here. If the Devs say "X does Y" in one game, and then say "X does Z" in the next, its a retcon if they portray it as if "X does Z" was always the case. The lore is built over the games, but several parts are constant. Even if you quote me how Avellone was wrong somewhere, it doesnt mean squat when i am going by Fallout 1 to begin with. So if Fallout 1 is already incorrect, why is the rest correct? If the foundation is wrong, everything built upon it is wrong by default.

And you are trying to tell me Fallout 1 is wrong.

Feb 22, 2009
Yeeeeeeeeees!

But also noooooooooo! I want another Obsidian-made one really. Yes their games are always near-broken on release, but it's better than Bethesda's trademark brand of blandness. Obsidian has CHARACTER at least.

JonSherwell

Mar 21, 2013
Ok, so, ignoring all of the speculation (which I will be taking part in soon enough), isn't the idea that this may be the next installment in the Fallout series somewhat supported by the fact that Bethesda is declining to comment on it, since, were there no Fallout game in the making, it would only be reasonable to assume that they would deny the existence of a new game before December 11th, in order to avoid the angry cries of "Why didn't you tell us?"

Even if this isn't directly related to Fallout IV, or, whatever it may be called, it certainly seems to me like the people at Zenimax are sitting back and enjoying the possibly unexpected and unpaid for form of advertising.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
They built a vault in Canada I'm pretty sure according to lore. Correct my if I'm wrong. I hope they stick with North America. Given that Canada was annexed by the U.S and given they're connected I think it's reasonable to say that many U.S wasteland features such as Muties, Deathclaws etc could exist. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd rather it left to the imagination what happened elsewhere. When you leave the U.S (as said Canada works) you leave on of the two worlds superpowers, its fascinating culture, propaganda and bizarre pre war government strategies (Vaults and the Enclave). China is the other possibility but colour me uninterested in China as a setting.

ShadowHunter474

Jan 15, 2011
I for one am hoping we go to the American south for the next installment. For mainly 2 reasons

1. As far as I'm aware its never been touched upon in any of the lore, which is wired as the port of New Orleans was a huge asset for American trade at the time of fallout If I an wrong please let me know, I wanna see what happened to my home town in that universe.

2. Irradiated Alligators..... That is all

dikelley

Mar 10, 2010
Angst McMagnum said:
New morse code! Anyone gonna decode?
For what it's worth: CQ CQ CQ DE OZ PSE AS "Any station, any station, any station, from oscar zulu (station ID?), please await signal."

There's a message on the site now also:

zl qrne fvfgre. v'z urnqvat gb gur vafgvghgr. tbq xabjf jung unccrarq gb guvf cynpr abj. guvf byq onfgneq jvyy uryc hf. ur zhfg uryc hf --0321--

Substitution cipher, this looks like:

my dear sister. i'm heading to the institute. god knows what happened to this place now. this old bastard will help us. he must help us

Not sure about the 0321.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
again the message changed. seems to have a new message everyday.

now it said

VGNR [CAP] - ***? - LET- GRZ XJG XRS FWZZR GOS UIEG SII GZVZI || GRZ SAW XRS SAZZ XJG DZVB GRZ XUJIZ

i cannot resolve this one...

May 29, 2011
BFT [CAP] # 11/25+12/27 # CASE/SUPPR-LET - | IBFQ WLXE UHH KQV WJMT RAEE NURKV MSKKAELWH ZGMCAEP NBK

I think there's a new message everyday.