Rumor: Bethesda to buy Valve?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Bethesda to buy Valve?

There's a rumor on the ol' interweb that Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax are looking to buy a certain FPS developer.

If rumors are to be believed, Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax isn't happy with just owning the Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein franchises, it wants to get its hands on possibly the most highly regarded first-person shooter in the world, Half-Life.

Valve, like id Software, has remained independent since its inception in 1996 and has partnered up with larger companies to handle distribution, first with Sierra, and then later with EA. The purchase of Valve would be a significant boost for ZeniMax, given how beloved the developer is and the acquisition of Steam isn't something to be sneezed at either.

On Valve's part, the move might be a smart one, giving it access to funds and a relatively hands-off publisher, which is something that it seems to like. We've contacted both Valve and Zenimax for comment and will keep you updated.

Source: GayGamer [http://gaygamer.net/2009/10/rumor_zenimaxbethesda_looking.html]

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Holy buckets filled with VATS. I wonder what Valve will say about this. Seeing that they are launching the new L4D, I doubt they will be easy to buy. Another EA buys Rockstar scenario.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Well, it'll be another Great to add to the collection. I don't mind what happens, as Valve will continue as normal, and Zenimax will support them, but not overly.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
If Bethesda's TES:V schedule and VALV[sup]E[/sup]'s HL2:Ep3 schedule are in any way allowed to mingle...

My calculations show that no new games will come out of either of those companies for eight and a half eons.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
so maybe they'll actually develop for more than just m$ systems and give up excuses of "not having the man power" or something equally as bad

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
A-hahahahaa, no. Valve are rich - even without Left 4 Dead, Portal, Half-Life 1/2/Episodes, etc, etc, they also own the Steam service, so are probably worth MORE than ZeniMax.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
so maybe they'll actually develop for more than just m$ systems and give up excuses of "not having the man power" or something equally as bad
I like your thinking, but Bethesda was a little Harry on the Fallout 3 DLC.... that is if you're pointing toward the PS3.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
The thought of something like Fallout 3 with Valve's character animation and humour is..Wait. I'm getting ahead of myself.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
So...they just want it for Half-Life? That's just like eating only the syrup from ice blocks, you aren't getting the WHOLE experience.