Rumor: BioWare Mystery Project is Call of Duty: Mass Effect

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I for one would be interested to see the Bioware take on modern FPS games.

Bioware are awesome, they focus on story and character development. Frankly speaking, FPS games dont cater to character development enough.

I look forward to this.

Bubbay

Mar 12, 2010
OH NO! A well-respected developer is branching out into new areas? THE HORROR! This is going to definitely end in disaster, just like when Blizzard branched out into MMOs. Everyone knows they're just known for their first-rate RTS games and shouldn't use their talents anywhere else!

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to what they're going to do. Personally, I'm thinking prequel based on the First Contact War. It allows them to explore a relatively undefined section of lore as well as having two clearly defined sides for objective-based maps. They *could* use the Rachni Wars as a base, but that wouldn't allow them to have humans involved.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Kulingile said:
I thought they were popular because the majority believe they know how to make a good story. Aside from that, most would say the gameplay in Bioware games is nothing special.
Well, I would concede that the stories are often the best parts of the games, but I think you're wrong about the gameplay. The only BioWare game whose gameplay I didn't enjoy (at least to an extent) was Jade Empire. I felt that all the others had really solid gameplay. Perhaps the combat in things like KOTOR and Dragon Age isn't for everyone, but I think it's erroneous to claim that most dislike (or at least feel ambivalent to) it.

Flig

Nov 24, 2009
Anyone ever play that Shadowrun FPS? That's what I'm thinking this might turn out to be close to. Pick your race, pick your side, invest creds in tech/biotics/weapons.

Otogi

Dec 7, 2008
I hope not to troll, but does anyone else sense that people are feeling personally betrayed by this? And not only this, but the fact that its a rumor?

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
I think if they do this right, they could make a very good game. Doing it right means including all the playable classes, and adding in all the species as playable (Who would NOT want to play as a krogan?) and make all the biotic and tech abilities useful, it should end up being a fun game. If they are going to make it multiplayer only, they should probably release it for a reduced price.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Sounds likely; I remember that news story about Bioware posting job offerings specifically in regard to multiplayer support for Mass Effect.

Honestly, I say go for it. The Mass Effect universe could always use more screen-time, and ME3 isn't going to get here anytime soon anyway. Just so long as they don't expect to corner the shooter market, because that's not their place; but a comfortable niche for Mass Effect nerds, maybe.

And maybe once they've gotten all this shooter stuff out of their system, they can make ME3 an actual rpg.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
BioWare know how to make great games, but those games happen to be RPGs. It will be very..... interesting to see how they handle a shooter.

My bet is that it'll be like the First Mass Effect - mostly brilliant, with some deep flaws that turn off some people, but that the sequel to "Mass Effect Wars: More Mass, More Effect" will probably be better.

Or this entire rumour could be completely wrong! Kinda hoping it will be. The shooting in Mass Effect 2 was fine, I didn't have a problem with it. Still would NOT want to design a game around it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I could see them doing this with the First Contact War, but if they're going to do that they should have us play BOTH sides.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I'd like to but I'd still remember. They wouldn't give up the chance to cash in by calling it Call of Duty: Mass Effect. Such a game would inevitably spawn sequels as well which would be increasingly appalling.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Called it!
I really think this is true, and I will probably love this game! Looking forward to the VGAs for comfirmation and more news!

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
sir.rutthed said:
Whoa guys, let's all take a deep breath here. I'm pretty certain they're still working on ME3, there's no way they're gonna stop development on it now. I think Bioware could do a lot for the shooter genre with this, like actually introducing a good story. ME2 showed they obviously have a good grasp on the mechanics of a shooter, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Take a deep breath? Benefit of the doubt? Rational thinking?!!? THIS IS THE INTERNET. What is it BUT a place for over-reaction, premature speculation and random cries of doom! Without random cries of doom, what do we have? As an internet user, I say we should keep the random doom and gloom crying to it's ultimate maximum!

It WILL suck, because 5 seconds of "out-of-context" video and unfounded, baseless rumour give me that impression! If that's not solid enough grounds to go on, haha, I don't know WHAT is. I also judge the worth of a person immediately by what they say in the first three seconds I meet them. I also judge a film by the first 5 seconds of it, and when I invest money, I look at the market movement for the first hour of the day and immediately assume that it will continue along that path for the rest of the day. Funnily enough, I haven't made any money yet.

And of course, BioWare couldn't possibly work on more than one game. That's totally impossible and has never been done before in the history of humanity. It just.... IS impossible. My gut says so, and my GUT knows what's best for all of us. It knows when I should eat a sandwich, why shouldn't I trust it to evaluate games that haven't come out yet!?! Any bodily organ that knows when I'm hungry and then knows WHEN I'M FULL, is obviously an intellectual force to contend with.

I'm still going to say that not only will this game - WHICH IS TOTALLY A MASS EFFECT MULTIPLAYER SHOOTER, BECAUSE THE INTERNET TOLD ME AND THE INTERNET IS NEVER WRONG, DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE, WAKE UP SHEEPLE! - RUIN Mass Effect 3, it will ALSO go BACK IN TIME to ruin Mass Effect 2 and the original, and possible Jade Empire! It's so rational and totally plausible!

Bubbay

Mar 12, 2010
Korolev said:
sir.rutthed said:
Whoa guys, let's all take a deep breath here. I'm pretty certain they're still working on ME3, there's no way they're gonna stop development on it now. I think Bioware could do a lot for the shooter genre with this, like actually introducing a good story. ME2 showed they obviously have a good grasp on the mechanics of a shooter, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Take a deep breath? Benefit of the doubt? Rational thinking?!!? THIS IS THE INTERNET. What is it BUT a place for over-reaction, premature speculation and random cries of doom! Without random cries of doom, what do we have? As an internet user, I say we should keep the random doom and gloom crying to it's ultimate maximum!

It WILL suck, because 5 seconds of "out-of-context" video and unfounded. baseless rumour give me that impression! If that's not solid enough grounds to go on, haha, I don't know WHAT is. I also judge the worth of a person immediately by what they say in the first three seconds I meet them. I also judge a film by the first 5 seconds of it, and when I invest money, I look at the market movement for the first hour of the day and immediately assume that it will continue along that path for the rest of the day. Funnily enough, I haven't made any money yet.

And of course, BioWare couldn't possibly work on more than one game. That's totally impossible and has never been done before in the history of humanity. It just.... IS impossible. My gut says so, and while my gut is frequently wrong, I will never admit it to myself. Except I just did.

I'm still going to say that not only will this game - WHICH IS TOTALLY A MASS EFFECT MULTIPLAYER SHOOTER, BECAUSE THE INTERNET TOLD ME AND THE INTERNET IS NEVER WRONG, DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE, WAKE UP SHEEPLE! - RUIN Mass Effect 3, it will ALSO go BACK IN TIME to ruin Mass Effect 2 and the original, and possible Jade Empire! It's so rational and totally plausible!
WHY DO YOU TALK SUCH CRAZY TALK? The internet is always right. Period.

I read on the internet once that people like you are secret communists who are trying to undermine all that is America and I should shout at you and bang pots and pans until you go away.

Or that might have been bears, but they are basically the same thing, so whatever.

Camoman

Feb 12, 2009
This is Bioware we are talking about. I can't think of any game they've made with bad single player or story. I will be very surprised if they get that wrong in whatever this new title is. And if they are stepping into the world of online multiplayer shooters, good for them. If it does fail, I don't think it would break them, and it would be nice to see a game company make a multiplayer game that earns them money instead of just a money making machine (because that sentence totaly made sense). And I for one would totaly play a Mass Effect based FPS.

in other news...

Korolev said:
sir.rutthed said:
snip
LOL

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
I'm betting, right now, it's gonna be the First Contact War/Relay 314 Incident, battlefront style, with players picking either the Turian armed forces or the human resistance.

Sure, the whole fight was over pretty quick and ended diplomatically, but there was some exciting battles in there.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Otogi said:
I hope not to troll, but does anyone else sense that people are feeling personally betrayed by this? And not only this, but the fact that its a rumor?
I DO FEEL BETRAYED!

I grew up with BioWare. We went to school together, played card-games together, saw films together and even set up a little dinky lemonade stand with which to....sell..... drinks! Oh I'm sorry, I can't GO ON!

BIOWARE! You were my LIFE! I literally have nothing else in my shallow, wretched existence! When we last met, you promised me ME3, but Johnson, you know, JOHNSON, down the street said you were making an FPS, which could be, NO, might be, NO, possibly could be, NO, no, DEFINITELY IS, a Mass Effect Shooter.

I'm leaving you BioWare, if that really IS YOUR REAL NAME. The good Lord knows how many different GENRES YOU'VE BEEN WITH! Well no more! If you won't cater to my every whim and stick to making games that stoke my nostalgia... then... I guess..... WE'RE THROUGH!

(Pause for dramatic effect)

I gave 100-200 dollars of my money, and about 3 weeks collective game time of my life to you! This BETRAYL, this SHOCKING STAB IN THE BACK which is totally what is happening because THE INTERNET TOLD ME IT WAS, because someone on the internet SAID IT WAS (and someone on the internet is never wrong. I think we all know someone and we can all say that someone's credibility should never be questioned). Et tu BioWare!?!

Ohohohoh, oh boo hoo. I will never recover from this. This shocking day shall live on in my heart for alllllllll eternity!

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
Oh and one more thing (cant find my post to edit it)

Another BIG reason why I am against a game in the Mass Effect universe going multiplayer, is, well, because I am not a big multiplayer person (I like going at my own pace and on my own). The great thing about Mass Effect is that you can experience ALL of what the game has to offer without feeling that you are missing out on any of the good bits. If a Mass Effect game comes out I won't get to experience the full feeling of the game, and it will seem as if I missed out on a big part of the ME story/experience. It will be like the class goes to a field trip to an amusement park and my mom didn't feel like signing the permission slip for this one.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
All aboard the band wagon!

yes satan why i would like to orally please you in exchange for money, yes i will sign this ambiguous contract

EA CEOs have clearly been taking the bioware staff to all the richy clubs :/

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Oh thank god, we really needed more FPS games on the market. They're seriously underrepresented you know.