Rumor: Del Toro Directing Cthulhu Film With Tom Cruise

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Del Toro Directing Cthulhu Film With Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise is definitely going to star in the upcoming Guillermo del Toro-directed Cthulhu movie. Actually, replace "definitely" with "maybe."

H.P. Lovecraft's Great Old Ones have appeared in independent movies, tabletop RPGs, board games, and videogames, but it's been a while since they've appeared in a major Hollywood picture. Until now, that is. Guillermo del Toro's been attached to a film adaptation of <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness>At the Mountains of Madness for a while. Now, it sounds like the movie is definitely going to be made, with filming supposedly starting this June.

io9 spoke with the movie's producer Don Murphy (James Cameron is also a producer on the project), who confirmed the movie's start date and also revealed who its star is going to be. Murphy explained that the film is "supposed to shoot in June" and that Tom Cruise will be starring in it, which confirmed recent rumors. Ron Perlman also confirmed his presence in the film to io9, which -let's be honest about this- is surprising to no one since it's a Guillermo del Toro film.

While this is really exciting news, insiders spoke to io9 shortly after the original story ran and said that neither the start date nor Cruise's presence have yet to be confirmed. Shortly after that, Murphy retracted his statements.

If you haven't read At the Mountains of Madness, here's a quick summary:

A complete short novel, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS is a tale of terror unilke any other. The Barren, windswept interior of the Antarctic plateau was lifeless-or so the expedition from Miskatonic University thought. Then they found the strange fossils of unheard-of creatures...and the carved stones tens of millions of years old...and, finally, the mind-blasting terror of the City of the Old Ones.

If there's a director who seems capable of putting H.P. Lovecraft's eldritch horror into movie theaters, it's definitely del Toro. The first Hellboy film does a nice job of showing what things might be like, thanks to the on-screen appearance of the Ogdru Jahad, and Pan's Labyrynth showcased how well the man can blend everyday settings with horror sequences that are simultaneously beautiful and terrifying. Hopefully, the rumors come true.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/#!5778135/del-toros-at-the-mountains-of-madness-starts-filming-in-june>io9

<a href=http://shirt.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=8943>Image Source

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Cthulu movie?! My god, yes! Touch me with your appendages of Eldritch horror!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
So long as Tom Cruise gets eaten by Cthulhu then I'm all for this film!

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
If the movie is anywhere near as boring as the Cthulhu mythos, I will be skipping it for certain. Might be nice to see a movie that possibly redeems Tom Cruise to the modern public though, he's too good of an actor to lose work just because people think he's crazy.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Hmm... sounds interesting. And I like Cruise, so this might be a comeback for him.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Guillermo seems like a fantastic choice of director for a movie like this. And Tom Cruise is probably one of the 11,000 best actors working today (if we're generous). This could be good.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I've been following this for a long time, and I am really excited. Cruise, for all his public annoyance factor can be a very good actor, and I have complete faith in whatever del toro wants for the film.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I'm torn. I love HP Lovecraft, and I like Del Toro a lot. But... Cruise? Sorry, Del Toro, but my boycott stands stronger than my appreciation for your films. I will not be seeing this.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
I was liking this until i saw that tom cruise was going to be involved, i just can't stand that man

Edit:
standokan said:
I DETEST Tom Cruise, especially since of the whole scientology thing.
You and me both dude

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
He might be a borderline (or maybe just full-blown, it's hard to say sometimes) crazy person, but Tom Cruise can act. On his best days he's brilliant. So if Del Toro is behind it, plus Tom Cruise in need of a good comeback movie, I'll be there.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Aren't you supposed to go batshit insane after beholding Cthulhu? If that's the case, I'm not sure they could have found a better actor for the part.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Wolfenbarg said:
If the movie is anywhere near as boring as the Cthulhu mythos, I will be skipping it for certain. Might be nice to see a movie that possibly redeems Tom Cruise to the modern public though, he's too good of an actor to lose work just because people think he's crazy.
*hit*

OMFG CUTHULHU; with Del Toro? And James Cameron? Yay!

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Wait a minute I'm not... Oh, Guillermo Del Toro.

I didn't know there was a C'thulu movie coming out, this should be cool. Unless they ham it up as hollywood is wont to do.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Moutains Of Madness is such an epic story. I hope cruise is the one who goes mad. But I bet he is the guy who goes there to set up a resivoir.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Everyone, grab your spoons, it's time to take down some Shoggoths.

I want to see this.