Rumor: Electronic Arts Is For Sale

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
At least it's not Activision. I would hate to give money to Electractivision Blizzarts.

P.S. Thanks

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
FelixG said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Someone Call Warren Buffet!

...And ask him to give Gabe Newell a loan!
man if Valve bought EA...

..that would be pure awesome.
But then it would take them foreveerrrr to make Dragon Age 3.
After Dragon Age 2, is that really a bad thing?

And EA's stocks have been on the rise?
For the love of...how in the hell is that happening? I thought everyone kind of agreed EA was shit. I've seriously never been so confused in my life.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
What they need to do, is buy EA then sell off it's pieces. The Monster that is EA turning into 10 to 20 independent studios or those properties being bought up by different developers could be good. Could be bad too.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Quiotu said:
snagli said:
Quiotu said:
If it makes the acquisition any more sense, Providence Equity Partners is invested in ZeniMax Media... the parent company of Bethesda, id, and Arkane amongst others.
Though Gabe would probably convert all titles with 3's in them to stuff like Battlefield 2: Episode 2.

Oh, and Origin will probably be eaten by Steam, which is good I guess.
ZeniMax doesn't own Valve... not sure where you're getting that from.
I think he just quoted wrong person :p

Not sure what to make of this, this whole business isn't quite my thing.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
This could be an amazing opportunity. Smart money bets on this equity firm selling off ever IP EA owns. Every game franchise EA has been whoring to death could become the property of a publisher or developer that might actually do something of value with it. Most of them will go to Konami, Activision, Ubisoft, etc, which is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, but a few will get spread around.

...could it be?

...could it finally happen?

...System Shock 3...

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
The most likely outcome of this would probably be the firm cutting some of the less profitable/more risky/troublesome ventures go... ie Bioware along with probably a few different divisions. Or they could just point out the obvious and tell them to do what they did with their earlier games again so they can make more money. I can't really see the overall direction of EA making a big change. But it is just a rumor and it's impossible to tell the exact ramifications of it.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Entertaining the thought of Activision Blizzard buying EA - the ultimate Game Corporation Evil is born.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Ghonzor said:
For the love of...how in the hell is that happening? I thought everyone kind of agreed EA was shit. I've seriously never been so confused in my life.
Stock prices are linked to investor confidence, not consumer opinion. In this case, acquisition rumours usually raise a stock a few points.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
Despite how much people dislike ea I doubt this will happen, maybe eventually but I think ea will still be around for a few more years. hopefully this is a wake up call for them to listen to the customer ideas more often rather than making assumptions on what we want

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Sixcess said:
The only reason to buy EA now would be to cannibalise it for the parts that are still worth something and dump the rest. The name itself can't be worth a damn now.
I doubt that's entirely true. I'm sure the EA brand is still worth something with the people who buy every EA sports game every year and barely give the rest of the game industry any notice. It'd probably be a smart move to divorce the subsidiaries that were successful brands in their own rights (BioWare, Maxis, Visceral, Mythic, etc.) from the EA name though.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Falseprophet said:
Ghonzor said:
Stock prices are linked to investor confidence, not consumer opinion. In this case, acquisition rumours usually raise a stock a few points.
No, I realize that.
My point was that I thought EA hatred was a universal thing. It surprises me that anyone, especially investors, still has faith in EA.

Swader

Mar 1, 2011
It would be awesome if Zynga bought them. It would be like two black holes consuming each other.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ghonzor said:
My point was that I thought EA hatred was a universal thing. It surprises me that anyone, especially investors, still has faith in EA.
Universal among gamers != universal. People who hate Windows still buy Microsoft stock. Hell, if there was a company called BabyGrinders, Inc. I'm sure investors would still jump at it so long as it had a great valuation.

Swader said:
It would be awesome if Zynga bought them. It would be like two black holes consuming each other.
Right now I doubt Zynga can afford to buy a bag of potato chips, much less EA.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, if true, i think i will dance in public :p
these greedy money suckers should go. but then i ask my self, what happens to the games that require origin to play? will they keep it? what kind of changes will come if a new company will buy them?
i also hope it will be valve. then i will ask a hacker so i can send gabe a personal message what a good choice he has made :p

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
Hmmm, interesting. If this goes through, it will be interesting to see what the firm does with the bloated EA monstrosity. I envision them selling off the less profitable IP's in a fire sale and running a leaner, streamlined EA with the remaining successful (read money making, not commenting on critical success or gamer opinion) franchisees.

I just hope that not to many jobs get cut. That would be unfortunate.