Rumor: Electronic Arts Is For Sale

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Akalabeth said:
The_Lost_King said:
Almost everyone agrees that the story of DA2 is crap. Yes novels have been written in less time than Bioware had to make DA2, but the making of a novel and Videogame story are completely different. So yes the beginning stages of a videogame story is similar to a novel. Then you have to worry about how you are going to keep your story engaging. Then you have to worry about coding. Then you have to worry about Voice Actors. Plus keeping a story engaging in videogames is a lot different from novels. I also don't see any pros about a short development time other than I can get the game faster and they can make games faster.
Listen to the lead writer on teh pros of a shorter development time:

What were your favorite and least favorite parts of writing [Dragon Age 2]?

"The answer to both of these is the shorter time line we had to work with, versus the first game. The negative side is obvious: you have less time to do everything, less time to iterate, less opportunity to do little extras or follow up on moments of inspiration. The positive side of that probably wouldn?t be obvious to anyone outside of game development: when you have lots of time to work on a project you can often use that time in a very nonconstructive way. You stop being objective about a part of the story because you?re spending so much time with it, and start second-guessing yourself. When that happens it is literally possible to spend years developing a game and yet never make any significant progress. And that?s not good, either. Somewhere in the middle would probably be ideal"

http://digitalhippos.com/gaming/spotlight/david-gaider-speaks-about-dragon-age-2

Like I said EA was good for them at the beginning but now... I was going to be done with Bioware after the ending of ME3(which I am lying most of the blame on Bioware) but I realized how good the rest of the game was. Bioware has made good games under EA but I am afraid that their next games are going to be more like Dragon Age 2(decent games by standard of the industry but terrible by Bioware's standard) Rather than Mass Effect 3's brilliant except for a few hiccups(I am discounting the ending here I don't think they can do that again). I sincerely hope Bioware can make more me3's but I am scarred because of EA's history.
Well statistically speaking, the number of "good games under EA" compared to "bad games" is what, 3 or 4:1? I don't exactly see any sort of trend.

Regardless of whatever people will say of Activision and EA, there's something to be said for publishers that give definite release cycles. Being able to deliver a game on time is a sign of professionalism is, it's a quality many artists lack quite frankly. I work in an artistic industry, and there's a reason why all the producers and managers are non-artists. Because without them things would probably not get done.

Valve conversely is praised by many people but they demonstrated an inability to deliver on a game (HL2Episode3) and for that I basically have little respect for them.

When it comes to production, there are more factors than simply budget and production time. You also need people within the production who have a solid grasp of what they can do within that time frame and with that amount of money. And equally important you need directors and leaders who have a definitive idea of what they want.

People complained about the dungeons or somesuch in DA2 as well, saying they were all the same. To me that doesn't say the game is rushed, that says they tried to do too much. They wanted a bunch of dungeons but didn't have the resources or the time to fully flesh them out. If they'd pulled some people off some other parts of the game, those areas might not have been as good as well but the dungeons could've been better and wouldn't have stood out so glaringly.

The end product should ideally be consistent.

And sometimes good studios simply put out bad products. You want an example go and watch Cars or Cars 2, two movies that are generally regarded as not very good from an animation studio that typically gets very high reviews.
Ok he never said there was anything good about small development time he said there were good things about a medium length thing. It would have been good for them to second guess Dragon Age 2's plot. It wasn't even 1 plot it was 3 and they don't even flow well, most people lost interest after the second act. The characters weren't as up to standard either. Plus Bioware was obvioulsy fine with the development time they had been given with DA:O or ME or KotOR or BG, or Jade Empire, or every game other than DA2 which had to copy paste environments because they didn't have enough time to design new ones.

When I said history I meant EA bought developer history not Bioware history. Pandemic was a great studio, but when EA bought them their games started to go down in quality. coincidence? I think not. This has happened to most of their developers and I have only heard that Bull frog's demise was not only EA's fault. Like I said I am willing to stick with Bioware but I would still prefer it if they were under the management of someone who cares about videogames as well as money, not just money or atleast someone who is not widely renowned as evil. I don't see why it is moronic to want to see Bioware under Zenimax rather than EA. One has a good(or atleast neutral) reputation one has a terrible reputation. Which would you rather have as the publisher of one of your favorite developers.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Metalrocks said:
if some one bought ?A, maybe the old companies like maxis or bullfrog will come back and make real games like a proper syndicate or sim city.
*wishful thinking*
Maybe they'll even bring back Westwood.. and make a proper Most Wanted instead of that burnout copy that's coming soon.. And even Underground 3 with customizable cars.. Ahhhhh... *Drifts off*

ShogunBarbarian

May 13, 2011
I dislike EA as much as the next guy buy KKR is like the worst person to buy them ( besides communists)

Imagine EA now but lots worse

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jove said:
That would be amazing. It would also mean Bioware (without EA) and Bethesda together...good god! 0_0
Hate to put a damper on that nice idea, but; All future Elder Scrolls games will require Origin to play.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
The Great JT said:
EA: So greedy we'll sell OURSELVES for a quick buck!

Wait, that came out wrong.
Sir, I am in genuine bouts of merriment upon my floor.

On the topic, I'd love to see GabeN buy EA, then set it up as an independent branch of Valve to work on worthwhile titles that don't merit the direct Valve association.
Just an idea...

Nov 28, 2007
In this topic: many people slamming EA, not even knowing whether it is, in fact, true that it is for sale. Not that I'm all that surprised.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Falseprophet said:
Sixcess said:
The only reason to buy EA now would be to cannibalise it for the parts that are still worth something and dump the rest. The name itself can't be worth a damn now.
I doubt that's entirely true. I'm sure the EA brand is still worth something with the people who buy every EA sports game every year and barely give the rest of the game industry any notice. It'd probably be a smart move to divorce the subsidiaries that were successful brands in their own rights (BioWare, Maxis, Visceral, Mythic, etc.) from the EA name though.
I can easily imagine that happening, those subsidiaries becoming privately owned companies again. On one hand I'd love that to happen. Just look at privately owned companies like Valve and CD Projekt. They're a lot more in touch with their target audiences, they don't have to listen to shareholders and investors who have zero interest in the actual product and just want to make money.

But on the other hand; it's pretty damn risky and it's possible that they've become way too dependent on EA to become independent businesses again. I sure don't hope so.

Also, is it a coincidence that their highest stock rating coincides with the time that they actually experimented with a lot more new IP's and interesting re-boots? I think not.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Vie said:
Hum... ..we get to see EA getting asset stripped?

Makes a change.
Sexy. Show us the goods EA!

Frostbite3789 said:
The naivety here is adorable. More like the safe bet, non-risk games are the focus of the company. And pretty much everyone on this site seems to hate those games.
People don't hate Bioware. Not really.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i also dont think its biowares fault for the ME3 ending. it was clear that it was ?A that pushed them to get the game out. im pretty sure bioware would have never done such a horrible thing.
thats why, after the huge outrage, ?A dint had a different choice but to accept the fact to tell bioware to make the ending dlc and bring out the EC dlc for free.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Despite EA's troubles and the predicted continuing decline of the conventional game industry, analyst Michael Pachter predicted that the company's share price would more than double over the next 12 months, but whether that climb would be driven by an acquisition or would happen regardless of EA's ownership situation wasn't made clear.
That hack still has a job? People still LISTEN to this guy? Every single 'prediction' that I have seen from that guy has always turned out to be laughably incorrect. In fact, I'd be more likely to trust the OPPOSITE of what he says because of this.

On topic, wouldn't it be cool of Google or some other benevolent mega-corporation bought out EA? Then we could see some real changes and some decent business practices, right?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jove said:
Um...why? With EA gone, Origin is toast.
Bethesda might end up thinking that their own digital distribution service might be a good idea, and as luck would have it, EA had origin. Which, as luck once again would have it, has measures built in to harvest people's info to be sold to third party advertisers allowing them to make more money.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jove said:
So Origin would be given to a publisher and/or developer that might actually know what their doing with a digital distribution service...

I fail to see how that's a bad thing.
You probably skipped over that whole involuntary data harvesting bit.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
A firm needs to buy EA and sell the IPs it owns to better homes where they can be nursed back to health. EA is like the animal hoarders I see on TV hoarding up every one they can find just to torture and starve them to death...now we just need Sarah McLachlan to do a song for it, lol

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Oh please god let this be the beginning of the end for EA. I cannot even fathom the amount of good it would do gaming to see this thing burn in a fire. Sadly, the damage they did will probably linger for several gens.