Rumor: Goldeneye 2010 Coming to the Wii

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I never really could get into Goldeneye. I did, however, develop an affinity for Perfect Dark, though I couldn't play it for that long, being that it was a rental, and I wasn't very good at it at that age.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Would the Wii really be the best place for GoldenEye 007 anyway, at least from an online multiplayer perspective?
I don't recall the original Goldeneye being online focused (or actually having any online multiplayer at all). Considering the Wii's focus on local multiplayer and the fact that Goldeneye was famous for its local multiplayer, I think it's a fine fit. Having said that, it might be a pain in the arse to play 4 player split-screen on a small screen. Personally, I'm not that excited about it. For all we know, it could be like Rogue Agent and this wasn't exactly stellar material.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I just suddenly realized something about "Goldeneye 007" that I never realized all these years since it came out: It was a movie tie-in game. o.o

Though considering that this was the "Halo" during the first 3D consoles, it is kind of surprising to see how popular it is and still memorable now. Sounds like something for the Wii owners to dance for glee.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I'd be excited, except I still own an N64, and both goldeneye AND perfect dark.

As such, if it's any kind of remake... Meh.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Yeah, I've seen nothing but glaring negativity across the webs for this rumour, actually. Not surprising though. Shit will hit the fan if this is true.
Definitely. I can imagine the internet overloading with "WTF y dos this hav to b on wii" posts if this rumor is confirmed.

And I'm not holding my breath for this. Like others have stated, there's a lot of things tying up the Goldeneye name (Activision's owning of the rights, Nintendo's refusal to have any of their games available on other systems, Rare being owned by Microsoft, etc.). Besides, if this does come out, it will likely be a mediocre shooter available for all systems, like Rogue Agent was.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Georgeman said:
Tom Goldman said:
Would the Wii really be the best place for GoldenEye 007 anyway, at least from an online multiplayer perspective?
I don't recall the original Goldeneye being online focused (or actually having any online multiplayer at all). Considering the Wii's focus on local multiplayer and the fact that Goldeneye was famous for its local multiplayer, I think it's a fine fit. Having said that, it might be a pain in the arse to play 4 player split-screen on a small screen. Personally, I'm not that excited about it. For all we know, it could be like Rogue Agent and this wasn't exactly stellar material.
What I meant was, if we actually want to play GoldenEye 007 online, it would be better on Live than on the Wii.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Maaaaan, that game was so awesome on N64.
I convinced a friend to lend me his N64 when he went on holiday for a week for this game ;-)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Or if you enjoyed Goldeneye you could play one of the three Timesplitters games since it was made by the same people

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Or if you enjoyed Goldeneye you could play one of the three Timesplitters games since it was made by the same people
They also made Haze.

Oh wait you probably didn't want that mentioned. Not to knock the Timesplitters games at all I just figured I'd take the piss out of something besides the Wii. Can we get some new joke material in here, folks?

Anyway having played GE: Source I have to say it is pretty awesome...but severly underplayed. Also they nerfed the DD44 and completely overpowered the PP7. And they got rid of my favorite sound, the Klobb's "typewriter" noise. I could make other complaints like the severly limited Character roster but really the thing is only in Beta version 3.1 and it's unfair for me to say it's technically unsound because gameplay wise it's great.

And seeing as how I own a Wii and a 360 I win no matter what comes out or doesn't.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
I don't think people should be too hyped for a Goldeneye remake.

Let's look at our long history of remakes and see how many of them were good. :(

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Flos said:

Let's look at our long history of remakes and see how many of them were good. :(
Starfox 64 (is totally a remake/reboot of the original)
Metal Gear Solid (is totally a remake of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake with a few boss battles changed and better puzzles)
Mario Bros. DX
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 3
Super Mario Advance 4
Many remakes of Tetris

Huh a lot of these are done by Nintendo...hmmmmmmmm

EDIT:
Georgeman said:
Who's to say you'll be playing it on a small screen though? In the past 12 years since the game came out TVs have gotten bigger and cheaper

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Flos said:

Metal Gear Solid (is totally a remake of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake with a few boss battles changed and better puzzles)
Mario Bros. DX
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 3
Super Mario Advance 4
Many remakes of Tetris

Metal Gear Solid wasn't a remake of SS. .-. And absolutely none of those games are shooters. It's fairly hard to bugger up a Mario remake. Or Tetris.

Does it even count as a remake if all you've done is reskin everything?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Flos said:
AceDiamond said:
Flos said:

Mario Bros. DX
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 3
Super Mario Advance 4
Many remakes of Tetris

Metal Gear Solid wasn't a remake of SS. .-. And absolutely none of those games are shooters. It's fairly hard to bugger up a Mario remake. Or Tetris.

Are you trying to say that Goldeneye being remade for the Wii won't be a reskin with motion controls added? Isn't that what many remakes end up being? And yes, Metal Gear Solid is a remake in the sense that 75% of the story elements are lifted from SS.

I mean come on they even copypasted the Ultrabox fight

As for shooter remakes hardly anybody redoes a shooter (except Doom 3) unless it's a mod. But you didn't specify

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I always preferred Perfect Dark to Goldeneye anyways, so lucky for me I own a 360, although any return of Goldeneye in any form would be welcomed even if it's on a system I don't own. Then at least other people will get the enjoyment out of it.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Flos said:
AceDiamond said:
Flos said:

Mario Bros. DX
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 3
Super Mario Advance 4
Many remakes of Tetris

Are you trying to say that Goldeneye being remade for the Wii won't be a reskin with motion controls added? Isn't that what many remakes end up being? And yes, Metal Gear Solid is a remake in the sense that 75% of the story elements are lifted from SS.

I mean come on they even copypasted the Ultrabox fight

As for shooter remakes hardly anybody redoes a shooter (except Doom 3) unless it's a mod. But you didn't specify
I'm saying that I doubt Goldeneye can hold up to the test of time. Yeah, it's a great game for nostalgia purposes, but this is 2009. What was good ten years ago might not be good today.

So, Metal Gear Solid isn't a remake in the sense that the game isn't made to follow SS line for line, and the location, bosses, and story changes. That's not a remake, it's a 'reimagining', which is different.