Rumor: Indiana Jones 5 Might Recast Indy, Ditch Harrison Ford

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
marioandsonic said:
Mahorfeus said:
I pretty much agree with you with everything you said...except Shia. I'm sorry, but I just can't stand him is 90% of the movies he's in, and Crystal Skull was no exception.
I thought he was ok in Transformers, although I realise this is a minority view. And Holes was awesome. Other than those two and Indy IV the only things I've seen him in are A Guide To Recognising Your Saints, which I remember being a good movie but I can't say he was particularly on my radar at the time, and Even Stevens, where he was pretty funny for a kid. Not a bad strike rate.

Indy IV was a pile of shit, but that wasn't Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf's fault. Cate Blanchett's character was crap too, and she's a great actor.

Captcha: turkey sandwich. No argument there.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Flatfrog said:
STENDEC1 said:
There's also that part of me that says "Can't you just leave well enough alone?" Do we really need to be constantly reinventing/reviving old franchises from 20+ years ago? Can't we come up with some new ones? Imagine where we'd be now if back in the 70s and 80s they were just remaking/reimaging films from the 40s and 50s, just like what modern filmmakers are doing now.
Well, to a large extent that was what they were doing. Indiana Jones was a direct homage to action adventure serials of that era, while Star Wars was a rip-off of Flash Gordon.
True, but at least they were re-imagining the core concepts to create something that, to the audiences of the day, FELT fresh and new, rather than shamelessly mining the earlier franchises by rebooting old action-adventure serials or Flash Gordon with the same name, characters, etc.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
The problem with going the 007 route is that James Bond could change with the times, particularly since for most of his existence he had the consistent backdrop of the Cold War. Indiana Jones doesn't have this luxury, he works well in a particular historical time period, the 1930s and 40s, and not so much anywhere else.

That's one of the (many) reasons Indy 4 fell flat. Since we're no longer in the cold war, Russian communists aren't nearly as stylish or compelling villains as the Nazis. And as RedLetterMedia pointed out, since Indiana is supposed to be a wish-fulfillment audience avatar an older Indy doesn't work, because no one really wants to be old. In the original trilogy and time period Jones is just the right age to be both a genius Professor and a sexy whip swinging adventurer without it seeming too silly.

But there's only so many globe trotting adventures you can squeeze into the 1930s and 40s before it starts to feel ridiculous. Especially if you're having to call audience attention to the passage of time by occasionally recasting the character.

I don't think Disney can get around this problem, but it might be interesting to see them try.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Honestly I'd have been happier if 4 had bombed horribly so that studios didn't want to make another, because I don't dislike bradly cooper he seems like a pretty cool guy and stuff but it's indiana jones and to me there's really only harrison ford. Any other actor would be trying to live up to his character and probably just come off as not that good.

I'd have actually been really angry if they wanted to reboot the series because those original 3 are perfect you can't remake them and not have it seem like a failure.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
It would be kind of amusing if they cast Sean Patrick Flanery for the role, since he's actually played Indy before.

From the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles:

But yeah at this point I'd rather the franchise was given the respect it deserves and let it rest.

Hey Hollywood, how about you make some new exciting adventure movie franchises instead of butchering old ones?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
008Zulu said:
Given Shia's recent bouts of plagiarism, I think he has become somewhat untouchable. In that his career prospects took a 90 degree downward arc off a cliff.

Given how "well received" Crystal Skull was, kill the franchise. Kill it with fire.
Yes... well Crystal Skull spent too much time trying to be an episode of Stargate and not enough Indy. But I agree. Sometimes franchises should be put to rest.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Indy was my boyhood hero. As much as I'd love those movies. Please just let it go. Bradley Cooper isn't a good choice because can you honestly see him as someone with a PHD?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Bradley Cooper playing Indy during his World War 2 OSS adventures would be pretty cool. Plus it means we get to bring back the crazy Nazis and deadly artifacts.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Let it retire with Ford is my opinion.

Bond switching every few years was normal for Bond, it was established and accepted.

However in my mind Indy is Ford, Ford is Indy.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
FoolKiller said:
008Zulu said:
Given Shia's recent bouts of plagiarism, I think he has become somewhat untouchable. In that his career prospects took a 90 degree downward arc off a cliff.

Given how "well received" Crystal Skull was, kill the franchise. Kill it with fire.
Yes... well Crystal Skull spent too much time trying to be an episode of Stargate and not enough Indy. But I agree. Sometimes franchises should be put to rest.
You know what's really sad? I like Indy 4 as a movie on its own. Sure a lot of the practical effects were taken out in favor of CGI but I feel the CGI they used, especially for the vehicle chase scene in the forest, was a good style that fit the tone of the film. I think a lot of people's problem with Indy 4 is that perhaps it went a bit too over the top even though the original trilogy had some pretty silly over the top moments, like the entire Temple of Doom movie. Me and my circle I think enjoy that film a bit more than most people because of Roswell. I live in Texas now but I grew up not 30 minutes from Roswell and I had family there. So yeah the alien stuff got a smile from us and made the film enjoyable to our little corner of the world. You would not believe how much that town milks it. They remodeled their McDonalds to look like a UFO.

OT: If Indy goes the route of Jame Bond so be it. I actually think it would be refreshing. We'd have a spy franchise and an action adventure franchise that go on as long as someone wants. Sure Ford will always be Indy to most but should they go this route I'd have no complaints even if it just another sequel machine. Even if there are too many its not like they are or have to be bad, Skyfall anyone? Disney also has the golden touch these days. Between Marvel and the spectacular come back of their animation studio Disney is on top of the world right now. Also they've been handling The Muppets pretty good as well.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Bradeck said:
I really don't want to see prissy sexy man boys cast as one of the all time most badassed characters of all time.
Are we talking about the same character? 'Cause the Indy I remember was constantly getting his ass kicked, cheap shot-ing folks, getting outsmarted by the bad guys, and basically by sheer luck coming out of scrapes alive.

If anyone can pull that off I think it's Cooper.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Can you just NOT make more Indiana Jones movies? Can't we retire a series with a little dignity? The studios are gonna make their money anyway.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I was going to say that Bradley Cooper was too old at 39 to start a series as Indy. But then I see that Harrison was 39 for Raiders, so oh well.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I doubt there's any real danger of Shia LeBouf taking over the franchise. Between the displeasure his portrayal of "Mutt" engendered and his recent efforts to torpedo his public image, I can't imagine anyone's in a hurry to return him to the role.

Still, I think there is a huge amount of untapped potential for the untold adventures of Indiana Jones. (I was going to say "continuing adventures", but I think that vein has been pretty well tapped out.) And while Harrison Ford is an amazing actor, his days as action hero are pretty much done and I think passing the role to a younger actor is a good idea. It's worked pretty well for James Bond, after all.

I don't have a real sense of Bradley Cooper's acting chops; he's not an actor that's made a strong impression on me. Ford brought a great sensibility to the character, but I'm sure there are other actors that could so the same.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
They can re cast Indy as who ever, but I think using the Bond method would have worked better if there was not that large gap between The Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. All though, I still think its hard to follow the Bond method when you had the first Bond in the third movie...

Who's for Roger Moore in this possible 5th movie?

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I'm not opposed to casting a new Indy, as long as it's not Shia laDouche.
As others have brought up the TV series already had different actors portraying him so it's not a huge leap to have e.g. Cooper as Indiana Jones.

They just need to completely disavow Crystal Skull first. That movie should be hidden in the vault that also stores Highlander 2 and the Matrix sequels, never to be brought up again.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Hey why not recast it with a black guy, just to piss more people off. I mean a sequel these days just isn't enough to anger the indy purists (its ok I know there is no 4th movie). Its not like they could do any worse to anger fans, right?