Rumor: Indiana Jones 5 Might Recast Indy, Ditch Harrison Ford

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Cerebrawl said:
It would be kind of amusing if they cast Sean Patrick Flanery for the role, since he's actually played Indy before.

From the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles:

But yeah at this point I'd rather the franchise was given the respect it deserves and let it rest.

Hey Hollywood, how about you make some new exciting adventure movie franchises instead of butchering old ones?
So. Much. Yes.
If they're not going to leave well enough alone, at least cast someone who has both played the character before (extremely well at that) and is the proper age. Actually, about the amount of time has passed since he portrayed young Henry Jones during WWI until now that he's the proper age for a 1930's Indiana Jones.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
The only reason I've ever dared to be optimistic about any upcoming fifth Indy movie is that the fourth one used up nearly every possible way to fuck up the franchise.

But come on - no Harrison Ford? If you don't have Harrison Ford, then you don't have an Indy movie!

Yeah, I still say the fourth wasn't an Indy movie either, but at least I had to WATCH that one in order to find out!

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
Harison Ford IS Indiana Jones for me. I will probably not watch new incarnations and just keep rewatching the "real" four movies. Before someone asks: I had a few really good laughs watching Indy 4 with one of my best friends in the cinema. It may not be the best of the series, but it was a lot of fun for us.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
Anachronism said:
Alex Co said:
should it be passed on to Indy's "son," Shia LeBouf?
No no no no no. He was bloody awful in Indy 4, and the thought of an Adventures of Mutt Williams movie still makes me wake up screaming on occasion.
What? No.

Mutt was easily the one thing that didn't suck about Indy 4. His character was original and creative, fit nicely into the whole 'daddy issues' theme in the series, and I liked the banter between him and Ford. Aside from the fact that they had to put him into a stupid action scene at the end of the movie, he was pretty much the only character I liked.

Besides, Shia is a good actor, he just doesn't have much range. He is great in Lawless and Disturbia, and he does the small character moments well, provided he has a good script to work with.

Anyways this is my defense of Shia 'cuz he don't deserve the sh*t he gets and that's all Im gonna say.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Or, here's an idea, we could make new movies. I don't think anything can recapture that old Indy magic guys.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I think the main problem in "Bonding" Indy is the stories are very much period pieces. You can update the Nazis/Russians/Chinese/Venture Capitalists/etc as easily as Bond, but the whole "wild west"-esque style of adventure seems really out of place in the modern world. There's probably a limit with how much you can do in the 30s/40s/50s period too before it becomes stale.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I actually like Bradley Cooper, but I don't think I could have an Indy that is a grown man, but not Harrison Ford. I would rather just have the franchise die even if the next film still had Ford.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Obviously I would prefer it if they left Indy alone and just did something new and original instead...

But you know what? I could live with Bradley Cooper as Indy. And I could also live with a James Bond style continuity. While Bond specifically more or less works in any time period and Indy only really works within that early 1900s-cold war era...with a Bond style continuity they can more or less keep him in that time period indefinitely. You don't have to worry about stuff like Indy's character getting old by showing the movies in a strictly linear fashion, one movie can be in the cold war, another during WW1, another just before WW2, etc. It gives the writers a bit more freedom with what they do and they don't have to force unnecessary changes to the character. Just like a comic book character...