Rumor: Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Raven Team Up For Modern Warfare 3

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
I will laugh maniacally as the Madden of FPS burns a very slow and painful death this year. There is no game I have hated more than the Cash-in of the Douchebags franchise. Oh sure, I accept that there is a minuscule amount of decent respectable players, but I've never met them. CoD3 will be the one I watch turn a quick buck then be immolated with an even larger hacking force, even greater raging every match, and I will sit by and raise a glass of iced tea to Infinity Ward, because they're keeping the noobs off of Brink, one grenade launcher and bunnyhop at a time.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Here's hoping we can finally finish with Captain Price, Soap, Nikoli and whichever-new-Gaz-or-Ghost-character in this game and then move on into SPACE!

Apr 29, 2010
I don't find this newsworthy. We already know it's going to sell a bajillion more copies than the Bible, and that almost every gaming publication out there will be all "Holy hell it is fucking awesome! BUY IT NOW!!!"

But will I buy it? Maybe, maybe not.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
This time I refuse to buy it at all..

well, I might have a quick peak at it..

and I am getting a new computer..

ah hell, looks like I'm gonna end up buying it anyway.. and I tried so hard..

OT: Seriously 3 major studios on one game, either this is their climax (un-bloody-likely) to the COD series or they just can't get them out fast enough these days.. this is going to be one cobbled together mess for PC considering they couldn't even get BO right..

Hopefully Skyrim will avert me from this heretical madness, its a shame I'll probably be bored of games by the time Skyrim comes out.. damn you Fallout series..

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Ok uhm didn't Black Ops come out not too long ago? Why are they trying to rush the game creation process? A great game takes time, and for the love of god if you release a game with multiplayer give the players time to play it don't say here's a game play it for three months then move on to our next game!

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 3, eh? It appears that Actionvision is trying to compete with Final Fantasy. I would hope that it exceeds the perfunctory mess[footnote]Single Player portion is only being judged as I have not played the online portion.[/footnote] that was Action Film: Modern Warfare 2. If it were released to coincide with the A-Team remake, it could have almost passed for a movie-inspired video game (although considering the A-Team, I suppose it could have passed for a movie based on this game).

This does not sound like the most comforting scenario given several other the other variables in play as Treblaine has kindly pointed out:
Treblaine said:
Ok to summarise:

This games has:
-a fixed November release date
-Started later than every other project
-THREE different studios having to work together for the first time
-First studio, IW, is utterly gutted and filled in with newly recruited people
-Sledgehammer is such a brand new studio that has NEVER made a game before as this team, especially not a First person shooter
-Raven on multiplayer has never done a good multiplayer before
-Highest demand of the year
The Infintey Ward debacle was bad enough, but Activision's impetuous rationale that a Call of Duty must be pushed out for their yearly quota is particularly disconcerting. The first Modern Warfare[footnote]Simply known as "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare," just to keep track.[/footnote] felt like a truly memorable and quality title that had the gameplay to draw in a massive audience. I would never otherwise want to touch a "modern warfare" game until CoD4.

Now I get the unshakable feeling that the series is devolving into noisome annual spam akin to EA sports games. At the going rate they will only detriment the series by making it a yearly $60 update with a tacked on 3 1/2 hour "training" mode. As a past Xbox Live subscriber is especially grating because that is one corner of the market who already has to pay to play online for a year.I will not even get into how much of a farce this makes the DLC map packs as they become worthless once the new "popular" game comes out in another several months.

vallorn said:
Isaac The Grape said:
Yeah! RAVEN. Please attempt to hijack the development process and turn the game into Modern Warfare 6: Rouge Spear.
i think im one of about three people on earth that wants some more Singularity... i loved that game in the absence of any HL2:EP3 it was an... interesting and unique use of Time based mechanics that attempted to move away from TimePowahs=BulletTime.
You can add another person to the list of people who enjoy Singularity. I bought a new copy 30-40% off in a closeout and was so glad that I did afterward. As you stated, the time powers were well conceived as they did not revolve around slow motion and emulating The Maaaaaaaatrix!!! I found it to be a rather entertaining diversion that at least took a more Bioshock approach rather than a standard shooter with no useful item collection or sense of exploration and interactivity.

I've been quite busy so have been unable to complete it, but my primary complaints would the terrible weapon selection (e.g. Centurion revolver becomes virtually useless), the linearity in contrast to Bioshock, and the insistence to include the overly used and abused "swarm monsters" that explode upon impact. Guess which of the three is keeping me stuck...

I bring those points up because I hope that Raven has grown in experience and, if Call of Duty Modern Warfare: 3 does well, perhaps they will have more opportunities in the future for a sequel to Singularity!

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Can't wait to hear my roommate rant while playing this. I get the feeling it's going to be epic and hilarious.

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
While I am well more than a bit on the funky/"um.......sooo this interesting" side about this I am sort of interested in Raven being involved (they made a few of my faves in early 2000's)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 3, eh? It appears that Actionvision is trying to compete with Final Fantasy. I would hope that it exceeds the perfunctory mess[footnote]Single Player portion is only being judged as I have not played the online portion.[/footnote] that was Action Film: Modern Warfare 2. If it were released to coincide with the A-Team remake, it could have almost passed for a movie-inspired video game (although considering the A-Team, I suppose it could have passed for a movie based on this game).

This does not sound like the most comforting scenario given several other the other variables in play as Treblaine has kindly pointed out:
Treblaine said:
Ok to summarise:

This games has:
-a fixed November release date
-Started later than every other project
-THREE different studios having to work together for the first time
-First studio, IW, is utterly gutted and filled in with newly recruited people
-Sledgehammer is such a brand new studio that has NEVER made a game before as this team, especially not a First person shooter
-Raven on multiplayer has never done a good multiplayer before
-Highest demand of the year
The Infintey Ward debacle was bad enough, but Activision's impetuous rationale that a Call of Duty must be pushed out for their yearly quota is particularly disconcerting. The first Modern Warfare[footnote]Simply known as "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare," just to keep track.[/footnote] felt like a truly memorable and quality title that had the gameplay to draw in a massive audience. I would never otherwise want to touch a "modern warfare" game until CoD4.

Now I get the unshakable feeling that the series is devolving into noisome annual spam akin to EA sports games. At the going rate they will only detriment the series by making it a yearly $60 update with a tacked on 3 1/2 hour "training" mode. As a past Xbox Live subscriber is especially grating because that is one corner of the market who already has to pay to play online for a year.I will not even get into how much of a farce this makes the DLC map packs as they become worthless once the new "popular" game comes out in another several months.
Well all bad things must come to an end, Modern Warfare 3 may be just that much of a fuckup that it completely implodes and by 2012 Respawn will probably have major competitor to Treyarch's next obligatory CoD iteration that could be the final nail in CoD's Coffin.

Of course Activision still has Blizzard but I have the feeling WoW can't go on much longer and when it does I don't think Blizzard will be able to conjure up the magic again. Maybe then Activision will sell off their share and try to buy up another rising talent.

Ridgemo

Feb 2, 2010
Nannernade said:
Ok uhm didn't Black Ops come out not too long ago? Why are they trying to rush the game creation process? A great game takes time, and for the love of god if you release a game with multiplayer give the players time to play it don't say here's a game play it for three months then move on to our next game!
Have you not noticed the cookie-cutter CoD's being released every year without fail? It's been happening since CoD4 at least.

It hardly matters, Activision could release a game with 2 multiplayer maps and a 1 hour campaign and it'd be bought in the billions if they put the CoD name on it.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Ridgemo said:
Nannernade said:
Have you not noticed the cookie-cutter CoD's being released every year without fail? It's been happening since CoD4 at least.

It hardly matters, Activision could release a game with 2 multiplayer maps and a 1 hour campaign and it'd be bought in the billions if they put the CoD name on it.
yeah, It's like they're trying to be like nintendo but without the quality GAME part of the F#####G GAME! to quote yahtzee on this 'and these guys seem to be one of the only publishers that we allow to get away with this sort of thing, ok, imagine if Valve released Half Life, then released Half Life again a year later only with a different gametype, better graphics and maybe, one new gun that shoots watermelons, we'd think they're insane, Gabe Newell would be in the loony bin before watermelon launchers could hit the shelves'

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Wow, 3 studios teaming up to make a game that if logic follows should only last 3 hours.
I guess it'll feel 3 times as disjointed and schizophrenic as the first 2.
But with Raven in charge of the multyplayer hopefully no one will buy it for fear of being reminded of Singularity or Wolfenstein and this will finally be the death blow and Call of Duty will die out so gaming can once and for all get over the first person shooter cancer and move on to something worth while.

But this is all just wishful thinking, people with the limited mental capacity required to play COD games can't tell quality from a hole in the ground so the game will probably make a killing anyway.

OR
or...it might just be the first decent Call of Duty game since the first one.
you never know.
that too is wishful thinking, but it was worth mentioning

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Three studios?! are they kidding? I know the Modern Warefare series likes to be big and all but Jesus, is IW really in such a place that it can't manage to make a big game or do they simply want to get it out as fast as possible. This just sounds like a recipie for both an epicly infated budget and a really muddled and commitee designed game. This does raise a load of questions, not least about the churn-out shedual the MW games seem to be on and the degree to which IW has been effected by recent events.

If true, this is a really weird move on Activison's part and one which shows of they really don't want to make anything except CoD.
I'm hoping that the two extra studios are there for maybe a huge content boost. I'm thinking that if they got two extra studios to help, we'll have more than just spec ops, campaign, and online. That, or Infinity Ward can no longer function as well as they used to and to simply finish the game on time, the two extra teams have to help them. I'm hoping for the former, but it could very well be the latter,

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I don't care who the hell makes it, I just want the MW series to be concluded. After that CoD needs to be killed.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah let's just cancel everything else and stop any chance of one of these studios making something new and just churn out more COD. Yeah. awesome.