Rumor: Iran Responding to Battlefield 3 with Anti-Israel Game

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
How dare they! My righteous Zionist rage will destroy all of them and eat their babies. I will have to make sacrifice to Satan so that I am protected as I slowly take over the world economy with my fellow Zionists.

Watch this get quoted as an actual response.

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009
Anyone remember the Cola Wars? It was Coke vs Pepsi every night on TV, and it was downright entertaining! I switched every time one team came up with a better commercial.

I wonder if it will come to that.

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
Much of Call of Duty took place in America. If we're akin to "hurt"-ing our own selves, why would we care if another country did it?

Besides, it's not like the white house called up DICE and said, "yeah, now we'll show those Iranians."

Lighten up, guys. If everyone was this sensitive Russia would've reenacted the events of MW3 by now.

Chemical Horse said:
I guess they never heard of

Splinter Cell: Conviction [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2MXOH7REo8]
Cloverfield [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RkFcHUvyJ-k#t=53s]
Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Nqfnngxm0]
Crysis 2 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laIghwTFdqg]
Independence Day [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3qu-sCei3U]

What I'm trying to say is Americans couldn't give less of a shit if their country gets torn to hell in media. I don't, and I saw both planes hit the twin towers and knew some firemen who were killed.

... Or 2012 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjc2Rw6fKsw]
Really would've liked if Kojima kept the Arsenal Gear crashing through New York scene in MGS2. It really wouldn't have been in bad taste, Kojima. It was like a 20 second scene and it would've done much to clear up at least one of MGS2's plot-holes.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
"o noes! our glorious revolutionary capital was portrayed badly! what a terrible provocation!"

Apparently the fact that half of MW2 is set in wrecked D.C. crawling with Russians escapes these people.
Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised though.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Solution to all this nonsense:

Put all futuree games in the nation of Uzbeki beki beki stan stan.

Though it does raise issues of violating a Herman Cain trademark.
Well if it was in the US depicting the US army as monsters then I'm pretty sure they'd get peeved too.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Norix596 said:
I see no reason for anyone to get offended about this. They are simply doing what American game studios do all the time - setting a power fantasy about beating up a country they don't like. And of course, it's just a game as always.
No one is really offended (or atleast they shouldn't be), everyone just find the whole thing laughable. I've found Ahmadinejad's comments on the Holocaust more offensive.

It's the whole: "The United States is governed by the Zionist Regime so Attack on Tel Aviv would make Americans angrier than a game about an attack on Washington."

The logic doesn't make sense. Americans are just going to see this as more anger and silliness regardless of what happens, they'll care if something HAPPENS to Israel, but considering that countries (Iran included) already make propaganda concerning Israel. It won't matter.

If he said "The United States is governed by the heavy supporters of the Zionist Regime" it would make more sense. But nope, the Jewish conspiracy is EVERYWHERE apparently.

I desperately want to be proven wrong that Iran is not run by a bunch of anti-Semitic wackjobs. I can understand the hatred of Israel as much as I dislike it, but making statements like that doesn't help things.

EDIT: That said, if this is a mis-translation, there's nothing wrong with it. Just the same old Iranian bigotry.

Diplian

Sep 6, 2009
bificommander said:
The scary part: If the Iranians just rip off the Battlefield 3 code, don't bundle their Attack On Tel Aviv with origin, and put some effort into the single player story, they could end up with the superior game.
this would be so awesome.
If there would be a multiplayer and expansion packs like 'back to Jerusalem' (or something).
I would so buy that.

but yes this is mostly a political problem, the citizens themselves dont really care, I think.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I'd probably play it.

It'll be shit though, if it's even made. Getting upset over the fact a game is set in your capital is sortof understandable, but they've made this political, and that's just ludicrous.

Say what you will and the US and Israel, but I doubt their agenda to dismantle the Iranian regime involves setting a triple A game in Tehran...

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
I'd play it.

shit, I'd play anything which is directed to specifically piss off extreme nationalists

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Callate said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
Callate said:
The head of the Iranian National Foundation for Computer Games claims a game called Attack on Tel Aviv will hurt America in the way Battlefield 3 hurt Iran.
...It will be a mild annoyance quickly forgotten by anyone who isn't a fanatic ready to blow a gasket anyway?

Oh, Iran. Why you so crazy?

More troubling, I keep hearing that the people of Iran, by and large, are incredibly warm and generous. They just have a top-down ruling class that brings teh crazi.
They are not crazy, they are just old people who know nothing at all about games or American culture and sentiments, all they know about America is how it treats them and their country, try looking at things from their perspective.
At least they aren't like some of the people appearing on Fox who would blame all the world's evils on games. At least they look at games as a way of story telling and by extension, their statements prove that Iran officially considers games as art and their ruling class is admitting this despite not playing any games at all and all of you ignore this fact.
Oh, believe me, I understand that Iran has good reason to distrust the U.S.. I'm aware of the history of the CIA overthrow of a democratically elected leader to install the Shah, and the kind of regime that followed. I actually had a class with a professor who served in a government position under the Shah.

On the other hand, on what planet is making a game about attacking a city in Israel a reasoned response to a game viewed as offensive by an American game-maker? And does seeing games as potentially having a negative influence on their people, either through creating anti-establishment feelings within Iran or anti-Iranian feelings outside of it, really put them in that different a boat from Fox News? Fox is perfectly willing to suggest that games are corrupting our children with sexually explicit images and pushing political messages, but to the best of my awareness even they haven't gone as far as suggesting that they be banned. Barring further information, I'm don't find myself willing to make the leap that their examination of games runs all that deep.
I already said they know nothing about American culture, they have no idea weather or not attacking Tel Aviv in a game is actually offensive to any segment of American society, they just something to take out their frustration at being used as a punching bag in Battlefield 3.

And about games as art, they don't even need to examine them, their statements prove that they already accept games as being equal to TV or movies which Fox has yet to do. Fox still thinks of all games as being toys for children.

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Macgyvercas said:
Hevva said:
"Their reaction was that it is only a game and we should take it easy, but with the game set in Tehran, it is simply not acceptable," he said.
Hey, Hevva, regarding this part, when do you think people will finally get it that if you live on this planet, you're fair game to be the bad guy?

And do they seriously think a game about about attacking Israel will make me madder than a game about attacking Washington? They've got to be stupid. Unlike the censorship board in Iran, I know that games ARE JUST GAMES.

/rant.

(Oh, and Hevaa, that wasn't aimed at you. Well, the question was, but the rest of it wasn't. Just clearing that up pre-emptively).

It's sad, really. When we're talking Iran and America (which by extension always involves Israel) nothing can be taken lightly. Also it's probably worth noting that bashing the Israelis and by extension the Americans is pretty fashionable for Iranian public speakers. Reminding everyone in the Arab world that Israel's still there and also still expanding in any way is common chat.

I'd LOVE to see them be cool with being the bad guy though, since the ME situation would need to have moved much, much closer to resolution in order for that to be the case. So! In order to get people to be alright with being the bad guy sometimes, all we need is world peace. Man I could do with some world peace. Let's make world peace, Escapist! Boo-rah!

The Cheshire

May 10, 2011
Well, I'd like a military game where you shoot white non-Russian people instead of the usual "commies" or "brown people, presumably terrorists or cartel dealers, cause they're brown".

Really, these games are always racist-y deep down, let's have another sort of racism for a change. I want to shoot some Johns and Jacks for a change! I'm bored of killing Dimitri and Mohammed! I want WASP blood on my hands!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA, RACISM, HURRAY HURRAY! CHEERS!

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
The Cheshire said:
Well, I'd like a military game where you shoot white non-Russian people instead of the usual "commies" or "brown people, presumably terrorists or cartel dealers, cause they're brown".

Really, these games are always racist-y deep down, let's have another sort of racism for a change. I want to shoot some Johns and Jacks for a change! I'm bored of killing Dimitri and Mohammed! I want WASP blood on my hands!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA, RACISM, HURRAY HURRAY! CHEERS!
:mad: You damn dirty Islamofascist Communist hippy!

Seriously though we are in dire need of games where the West is the enemy-what a twist!

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
ThatDarnCoyote said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
At least they aren't like some of the people appearing on Fox who would blame all the world's evils on games. At least they look at games as a way of story telling and by extension, their statements prove that Iran officially considers games as art and their ruling class is admitting this despite not playing any games at all and all of you ignore this fact.
They don't consider games "art", they see them as a means of propaganda, which is not the same thing. Battlefield 3, whatever you may think of it, was not produced by an arm of the American government.

As for them not being like Fox News who "blame all the world's evil on games", the Iranians take a much more old-fashioned approach by blaming all the world's evil on the Jews. [http://www.debka.com/article/21536/]
Art has always been used as propaganda, just look at the Great Pyramid, it was propaganda for the ruler of that time.
The site you quoted with a strange propaganda like banner on the top asking "Who are the real Jews?" in Farsi(yes, I can read a bit of Farsi as it is similar to Urdu), doesn't exactly seem unbiased. Iran actually has reserved seats for Jews in their Parliament, as it does for every other religious minority. They are against Israel and the US for killing Mossadeq and supporting the tyrannical Shah and continuously trying to challenge their government and portraying them as villains and not allowing them the same right and technology to defend themselves against any attack from Israel, which has constantly been threatening to attack it.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Yes, Israel is the home of all evil and is also the headquarters of the Illuminati. ... Does Iran choose its leaders based on who the most insane foaming-at-the-mouth hater of Israel is?

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Arif_Sohaib said:
ThatDarnCoyote said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
They don't consider games "art", they see them as a means of propaganda, which is not the same thing. Battlefield 3, whatever you may think of it, was not produced by an arm of the American government.

As for them not being like Fox News who "blame all the world's evil on games", the Iranians take a much more old-fashioned approach by blaming all the world's evil on the Jews. [http://www.debka.com/article/21536/]
Art has always been used as propaganda, just look at the Great Pyramid, it was propaganda for the ruler of that time.
The site you quoted with a strange propaganda like banner on the top asking "Who are the real Jews?" in Farsi(yes, I can read a bit of Farsi as it is similar to Urdu), doesn't exactly seem unbiased. Iran actually has reserved seats for Jews in their Parliament, as it does for every other religious minority. They are against Israel and the US for killing Mossadeq and supporting the tyrannical Shah and continuously trying to challenge their government and portraying them as villains and not allowing them the same right and technology to defend themselves against any attack from Israel, which has constantly been threatening to attack it.
Yeah, all the posts in this thread are so funny. Nobody knows shit about Iran, or any other country besides their good ol' US of A. Just what they heard others say on the tv or... in a videogame.

And then when Iran fears a videogame for the perception it brings to these sheeple who have no idea of their own... WELL THEN IRAN IS STUPID HARHARHAR!

Please. If CAnada and Mexico were occupied by China, and if they had established several hundreds of military bases around the US, and had a reputation for warmongering and invading countries because they had "WMDS" but then couldn't find them...
And then suddenly China starts pumping out games to depict the US as villains and about destroying and invading major US cities...
You would not be alarmed?

Rofl. Stop fooling yourselves.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Hum... ..am I the only one picturing a HL2 mod with this name coming out in a couple of years time?

And being so ungodly crap even the Spike VGA's won't be able to give it an award?