Rumor: Is Jared Leto The Joker in Suicide Squad Movie?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rumor: Is Jared Leto The Joker in Suicide Squad Movie?

Academy Award winner reportedly eyeing key role in DC Supervillain actioner

Warner Bros. feature-film incarnation of Fury [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137552-Warner-Bros-and-DC-Comics-Eyes-David-Ayer-for-Suicide-Squad] director David Ayer. Now, last year's Best Supporting Actor winner may be climbing aboard - as the most iconic DC Villain of all.

The Wrap reports [http://www.thewrap.com/jared-leto-eyed-to-play-the-joker-in-wbs-suicide-squad-exclusive/] that actor Jared Leto is circling the role of The Joker in the ensemble action film, which has yet to officially confirm which villains would appear as characters. If he takes up the role, Leto would become only the fourth actor to portray The Joker in a live-action film, following turns by Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger.

The reports do not specify whether The Joker would appear as a member of the Squad or in some other capacity. Traditionally, the Suicide Squad (of which there have been multiple variations) is comprised of lower-tier villains like Gone Girl's [http://www.comicvine.com/captain-boomerang/4005-29992/] Emily Ratajkowski and the aforementioned Robbie have all been rumored for the role of Harley Quinn; while Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor from Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice is also rumored to appear in order to tie the film more directly to the new DC cinematic continuity.

Source: The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/jared-leto-eyed-to-play-the-joker-in-wbs-suicide-squad-exclusive/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Been a while since my head turned so much. Jared Leto's a decent actor in the sole film I've seen him in and I love his music, but I would never mark him as the joker. Who knows, maybe he might surprise us all.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Booooo!! I was so hoping for Mark Hammil to pick it up again with Tara Strong as Harley Quin for the new DCU movies. :(

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I'm okay with Leto as Joker, but I think the Joker's too big to just dump into a Suicide Squad movie. He has too much baggage (both on and off the screen) to be included in an ensemble film like this. It'd be like introducing the new Batman in a Birds of Prey movie.

They should really hold his introduction into the DCCU off until a solo Batman movie (and maybe not even the first one). Honestly, the message this is sending out to me right now is "we have zero faith that this movie can stand up on its own two feet, so here's Batman nemesis!"

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
If its based on the animated movie, it MIGHT be good.

Even though it WILL piss off the 90s kids who adamantly want Harley Quinn to stay with the Joker instead of Deadshot. And who think Amanda Waller was a good person.

If these people don't deliver on the "US doesn't actually care about justice" angle, it wont be the suicide squad. It will be another straight faced propaganda movie meant to not ruffle feathers.

There are only so many ways you can portray hiring the world's best killers and sending them after third world countries who never stood a chance in the first place.

The cartoony "neo communists" they fight in the comics will be too dated to do a movie on. Not to mention its too "light" for a DC movie based on being grimdark.

But the real question is: Is joker's daughter in there or are we dealing with yet another movie who can't make up its mind what lore it follows?

If the suicide Squad gets the back seat in its own movie because of the Joker, I am officially done. The live action movie division has no hope of turn around.
The important thing is that The Wall thinks she is right. Good or bad doesn't come into it. As long as The Wall is fat, fifty, and black, Lawton has a moustache, and Harkness is both deadly and craven, then they are taking steps in the right direction.

If it isn't based on Ostrander's work it is going to suck.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I'm sorry, but No. Joker in Suicide Squad? 10 minutes in and Waller would be begging to be Joker's new best friend. Keep the Squad stocked with the lower tier villains.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
How about, stay with me here; Sharlto Copley as the Joker?

He can pull it off if you ask me.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
That... is actually not a bad choice at all. Don't know anything about the comic they are adapting, and I have almost no interest whatsoever in the DC movies at the moment, but Jared Leto as the Joker? I'd be excited to see that.

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Leto isn't a bad choice but It's going to be really similar to Heath Legder, which could be great or still too soon. I'd rather see a different type of Joker, who is more colourful and not proving DC is making their universe stay dark and realistic. The whole point of the Joker was to contrast the Dark Knight being evil, merciless, hysterical, and colourful to the dark, serious, hero of Batman. Leto is just too serious an actor for this not to be Nolanverse.

Paradox SuXcess said:
How about, stay with me here; Sharlto Copley as the Joker?.
I like him better than Leto but my main problem with him is that he still has his South African accent in most of his movies. I haven't seen Maleficent but going off of the Powers trailer, Europa Report, and the A-Team he still needs to work on his accent. Just like Australian Legder it shouldn't matter but its the Joker. Also he's already busy with a comic book character on Powers.

I'm going to say Idris Alba for Joker just because he's being picked for everything these days.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Well he is the exact same age as Afleck so that is something. When I saw his picture I thought there would be a massive age gap which would be weird to have an old Batman fighting a young Joker. I realize that this is for the Suicide Squad not Bats vs Supes or a solo Batman film but if they were to ever be on screen together in the future they would need to be close in age. Mainly just because of the whole dual identity concept, don't think it would work so well if there was an age gap.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Ukomba said:
Booooo!! I was so hoping for Mark Hammil to pick it up again with Tara Strong as Harley Quin for the new DCU movies. :(
As much as that would be awesome, I really think Mark is a bit too old for a live-action Joker role. He's the best Joker of the bunch (even if it's just voice acting) but unless it's animated, I'd rather not see him at this point. A few years ago, maybe. Nothing against Tara Strong though (however, never seen her do live action, so I don't know if she would make that transition as well as we'd like).

OT: I'm all for new blood trying to put a smile on my face. A lot of hate has already been brewing on the internet that he won't live up to Ledger. I like Ledger, but he isn't the definitive Joker (at least not to me). And even if he was the current best (which he isn't) that doesn't mean we shouldn't put an effort to find better and improve. The only casting DC has done that has made me raise an eyebrow is Jesse Eisenburg and that's only because I wanted Bryan Crantson. Aside from that, I haven't hated anything they announced actor-wise yet.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Kmadden2004 said:
I'm okay with Leto as Joker, but I think the Joker's too big to just dump into a Suicide Squad movie. He has too much baggage (both on and off the screen) to be included in an ensemble film like this. It'd be like introducing the new Batman in a Birds of Prey movie.

They should really hold his introduction into the DCCU off until a solo Batman movie (and maybe not even the first one). Honestly, the message this is sending out to me right now is "we have zero faith that this movie can stand up on its own two feet, so here's Batman nemesis!"
The thing is in this DC movie universe Batman has supposedly already been around for over 20 years or so. Chances are he has already battled the Joker, he not going to be a new villain to this Batman.

And we are just introduced to them mid story, without knowing the beginning or end, so throwing the Joker in anywhere is fine in that case.

It seems they are kind of doing Batman and co more like the comics, they are just going to throw them in and do a story, expecting everyone to already know who they are.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I'd accept that! I hope he isn't a squad member though, but I doubt thats the case.

Also Will Smith in the suicide squad...Black Manta?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I'm not sure I'd like to see Joker in the movie, I do think Leto is a good choice for the role. If you've seen him on stage fronting 30 Seconds to Mars at all, you'd know he's not afraid to be a little goofy and out there. I think he could be a nice middle ground between the abject silliness of the character as seen in his earlier live action appearances and the twisted nut job of Ledger's Joker.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, anything to keep him from spewing out 30 Seconds To Mars material for a while. I don't really think putting the Joker in the film is a good idea at all, but he's probably a pretty decent choice. He can do the crazy. David Ayer might do a good job, but I still think the entire DC movieverse is just going to end up totally lacklustre.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
While I'm not sure I'd like to see Joker in the movie, I do think Leto is a good choice for the role. If you've seen him on stage fronting 30 Seconds to Mars at all, you'd know he's not afraid to be a little goofy and out there. I think he could be a nice middle ground between the abject silliness of the character as seen in his earlier live action appearances and the twisted nut job of Ledger's Joker.
Knowing DC films it won't be silly. It'll be darker than dark and grimer than grim because dark and grim= maturity according to them.

God forbid a comic book movie is actually fun.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I know next to nothing about Suicide Squad, but as for the Joker I think Bryan Cranston would be interesting. Or Adrien Brody, if anyone remembers him lol.

It would be pretty hard for them to end up with a worse choice than the one they already made for Lex Luthor in most people's opinion anyway.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I love Jared Leto as an actor, so I'm in for this. For all the people saying they can't see it, I'm relatively sure that was the entire world view about Heath Ledger before Dark Knight. And I'm not afraid to say Jared Leto is a better actor than Heath was. Now, ask me if I have any faith at all in the idea of a successfully pulled of DCCU (cinematic universe), I don't. WB is damaged goods and have no idea what would make a good movie from a comic book universe (like not fearing the idea that the origin idea of the movies are comic books).