Rumor: Leaked Design Doc Outs Next-Gen Xbox

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Jamash said:
Uber Waddles said:
Its a fake. They said they wanted Bluray technology. Which means with every disk and console release, Microsoft would have to pay royalties to Sony, its major competitor.

Thats good business right there.

Seriously. Sony owns BluRay. Why would Microsoft then impliment it if it requires them to pay extra? They already lose money on console sales...
Sony doesn't own Blu-ray, it's just one of the many companies that make up the Blu-ray Disc Association.
Sony does and Sony gets paid royalty for every BluRay disc.

Honestly, BluRay is shit. Any optical medium is shit. The way forward are HDDs and SDDs although this may compromise DRM.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
IT HAS BUTTONS!!!
probably

mad825 said:
Jamash said:
Uber Waddles said:
Its a fake. They said they wanted Bluray technology. Which means with every disk and console release, Microsoft would have to pay royalties to Sony, its major competitor.

Seriously. Sony owns BluRay. Why would Microsoft then impliment it if it requires them to pay extra? They already lose money on console sales...
Sony doesn't own Blu-ray, it's just one of the many companies that make up the Blu-ray Disc Association.
Sony does and Sony gets paid royalty for every BluRay disc.

Honestly, BluRay is shit. Any optical medium is shit. The way forward are HDDs and SDDs although this may compromise DRM.
So, let's resurrect HDDVD
Or even better- HHDDVVDDBVD
Or start using Red-ray disks :D

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Even the current Xbox makes ungodly noise, I wonder what this would be like.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
OniaPL said:
Even the current Xbox makes ungodly noise, I wonder what this would be like.
"Fuck, I hate living next to the airport!"

"Actually, that's my new xbox..."

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
An 8 core CPU, another 3 core CPU for backwards compatibility, 4 GB of RAM, and updated Kinect hardware, retailing for $299?

Yeah, colour me cynical. If Microsoft are going for a 2013 release date, why did they not mention anything about this at E3? According to this document, they've got a year to drum up hype for the new console, and they didn't show it off at the world's biggest gameshow?

I dunno, maybe it's legit. But it seems strange that they'd be going for a release date one year from now, yet release no information about the console to the public.
Well, as people have said, if it is legit, the document is from 2010, so they could have pushed it back.

But you might want to think before you say what you said. What I'm getting at is that 2013 release date doesn't meant that it has to release on the first day of 2013. At E3 2013, they could very well make the announcement, the new Xbox will be released holiday 2013. That gives people at least 5 months to prepare and save money. If that is the case, then developers are most likely already working on games for the new system as we speak, but of course that type of stuff would be kept hush hush.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
-the price is about right for what they want to sell the console for though it will probably be bumped up to 400
-just like xbox 360 they will probably attempt backwards compatibility for the first version then give up and just make cheaper ones that force you to buy digital copies that run on a virtual console
-6-8 core sounds about right
-4 gigs ram maybe a bit low

in conclusion though it may not be legit it will still probably be close to the real thing

btw anyone else wish they would sell a bare bones version for cheap that then you could upgrade to a tricked out version a little bit at a time? such as allow you to upgrade the ram

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Hmmm... $299... I'd be down for that.

Only wish they could improve the Kinect's range so I could use it in my apartment without clearing all my furniture out of the way and even then only having enough space for one player.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I don't believe it. Too much hardware for too low a cost unless they wish to hemorrhage money.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I hope you all do realize, that no where in this document, does it mention a hard drive. Not anywhere in it. So yea, they can sell it for 299 dollars, ut you won't be able to save any games, if you do you'll have about 6GB built in. If you want to actually save content, you'll need a hard drive to tack on or perhaps buy the one with a 320 GB package, which can cost an additonal 100-150 dollars at launch.

We must remember they have always offered Xboxes with minimal storage space before, and you're more then welcome to buy the cheap version. Anyone who plays a number of games, or loads a number of videos know how quickly you can go through built in.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I've seen recent documents to a studio where Microsoft was referring to it as Durango. I'm claiming fake.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Doesn't the 360 have 3 cores? It wouldn't be surprising to see a six core in the 720. And I doubt the Kinect upgrade will come for free either.

So I'm guessing it's simply out of date. All of those specs are probably preliminary, and we should simply wait and see what happens before calling bullshit/praising the gods.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Can't wait to see if this is legit but if they are going to use a disc drive for the next Xbox they'd better make damn sure it doesn't break down like the current Xboxes.

pyrokin

May 13, 2011
Hell, I'm just hoping for backwards compatibility and great games. It would be nice if it were that cheap as said in the article, but I don't think that's going to be possible.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
while the upgraded Kinect hardware will offer greater accuracy, better speech recognition and support for up to four players at once.
Is a gymnasium coming with it so I can fit all these fucking people? Most people barely have enough space to play single player Kinect comfortably. The ads right now are humorous in the endless expanse of living space that they play in.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
An 8 core CPU, another 3 core CPU for backwards compatibility, 4 GB of RAM, and updated Kinect hardware, retailing for $299?

Yeah, colour me cynical. If Microsoft are going for a 2013 release date, why did they not mention anything about this at E3? According to this document, they've got a year to drum up hype for the new console, and they didn't show it off at the world's biggest gameshow?

I dunno, maybe it's legit. But it seems strange that they'd be going for a release date one year from now, yet release no information about the console to the public.
I have to be sceptical, seeing as how that's my job, but my assumption would be that it either, isn't real or isn't going as they planned. Considering the article is from 2010, it's possible that they haven't been meeting schedule, which is why it hasn't been announced. My personal opinion though is that it's fake. There is no way in the world it would go to market at $299 (I assume US dollars). It's probably some nuts way of having fun.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Uber Waddles said:

It depends; they want it to be more than just a gaming device; they want the next console to be a home entertainment device. Home Entertainment also includes watching movies; Sony won that format war.

90% of the time I use my X-Box 360 is to watch DvD's and videos from my computer. Odds are, Microsoft found that most of their users are in the same position.