Rumor: Leaked Design Doc Outs Next-Gen Xbox

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I've never bought into it whenever someone unearths patents for new games/systems. They always fly by as one of those "what could be the next gen" but never truly deliver. Still, a 3D Xbox could be worse (as long as they don't have the type of glasses with their own battery that cost 200 quid).

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
An 8 core CPU, another 3 core CPU for backwards compatibility, 4 GB of RAM, and updated Kinect hardware, retailing for $299?

Yeah, colour me cynical. If Microsoft are going for a 2013 release date, why did they not mention anything about this at E3? According to this document, they've got a year to drum up hype for the new console, and they didn't show it off at the world's biggest gameshow?

I dunno, maybe it's legit. But it seems strange that they'd be going for a release date one year from now, yet release no information about the console to the public.
Well, as people have said, if it is legit, the document is from 2010, so they could have pushed it back.

But you might want to think before you say what you said. What I'm getting at is that 2013 release date doesn't meant that it has to release on the first day of 2013. At E3 2013, they could very well make the announcement, the new Xbox will be released holiday 2013. That gives people at least 5 months to prepare and save money. If that is the case, then developers are most likely already working on games for the new system as we speak, but of course that type of stuff would be kept hush hush.
well the developers showed off alot of very good looking demos at both MS and sony's press confresses so the systems most likely excist (it was suspected by most of the media there)

mad825 said:
Jamash said:
Uber Waddles said:
Its a fake. They said they wanted Bluray technology. Which means with every disk and console release, Microsoft would have to pay royalties to Sony, its major competitor.

Thats good business right there.

Seriously. Sony owns BluRay. Why would Microsoft then impliment it if it requires them to pay extra? They already lose money on console sales...
Sony doesn't own Blu-ray, it's just one of the many companies that make up the Blu-ray Disc Association.
Sony does and Sony gets paid royalty for every BluRay disc.

Honestly, BluRay is shit. Any optical medium is shit. The way forward are HDDs and SDDs although this may compromise DRM.
no sony own about 25% of all blueray prodution, and they do not own the rites to blueray as a format.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Scrustle said:
Seems like it's real to me. Maybe not everything in it will be in the final product but most of it seems very likely. But I really hope "720" is just a running title. Why can't they just call it the Xbox 3 or something that's at least less retarded than anything else that's been speculated so far?
Because it'll run at 720p now.

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
I think its real..but out of date with changed plans on microsofts part. If it was scheduled for 2013 they would NEVER skip out on E3 which is where they would most certainly announce it. If they waited until E3 next year they wouldn't have a decent amount of time to market it, produce them, and get peoples hype-juices raging before the end of the year.

My guess is that they'll announce it at the next E3 for release in 2014

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
All that for $300? Fuuuuu-

Colour me impressed if this is true and microsoft makes any net gain per console at all.

Also, what's this smart glass stuff?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
*yawn*

Even if this is true, this doesn't look, imo, all that impressive. I'm not a hardware nut, so I'm not sure if it's a substantial jump in hardware, but I don't exactly hear that many people clambering for 'cloud gaming' and 'streamed TV.'

agiganticpanda

Sep 10, 2008
To all the people talking about the price being too low, if Microsoft is looking to bundle it with a pay TV service, 299 sounds just right to me.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
If they're going to include the entire three-core Xeon from the 360 in it, why not design it to be able to use both CPUs at once to save money? I assume the new six-to-eight-core chip is also PowerPC-based, so there shouldn't be much of a hurdle to get them to run side-by-side, unless I radically misunderstand the PowerPC architecture.

agiganticpanda said:
To all the people talking about the price being too low, if Microsoft is looking to bundle it with a pay TV service, 299 sounds just right to me.
That's always a possibility. Microsoft could be planning to force people to buy some sort of contract in order to get it, like how most cell phones can't be purchased without a calling plan.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
So I've been scouring the web for a Microsoft response to the document from media organizations today. I finally found one:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-19-microsoft-comments-on-leaked-xbox-720-strategy-document

"We understand there is great interest and anticipation for what comes next for Xbox and we are lucky to have customers who are so passionate about the platform.

"Today, there has never been a better time to own an Xbox 360 console. We have found new ways to extend the console lifecycle by introducing controller-free experiences with Kinect and we've re-invented the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships.

"We are continually thinking about the future of the platform and when we have something to share, we will."

Looks like they are not exactly denying it is real.