Rumor: Lindsay Lohan To Sue Rocktstar Over GTA V

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Lindsay Lohan To Sue Rocktstar Over GTA V

Lindsay Lohan is reportedly preparing to launch a lawsuit against Rockstar Games for using her likeness in Grand Theft Auto V without permission.

Gossip site TMZ is reporting that Lindsay Lohan, a one-time child star who in recent years has become better known for criminal behavior, repeated trips to rehab and presumably-satirical appearances as herself in television shows and low-budget movies, is planning to file a lawsuit against Rockstar Games for misappropriating her likeness for Grand Theft Auto V. According to the site, Lohan's lawyers are currently putting together a suit "demanding Rockstar Games pay some serious money for using Lindsay's image in the game."

GTA V features a couple of missions involving a Lohan "look-alike," one in which she seeks help eluding the paparazzi and returning home, and another where she appears at a hotel resembling the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood, a real-life Lohan hangout. The bikini model on the cover also looks "Linday-ish," although it was reported by Shelby Welinder [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1692068/gta_5_shelby_welinder_confirms_shes_blonde_girl_in_artwork.html].

It's all just a rumor at this point, but it's hard to deny that Rockstar's use of her likeness is overt.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/407541769174151169]

Am I right, or am I right?

Source: TMZ [http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/01/lindsay-lohan-grand-theft-auto-v-gtav-video-game-image-lawsuit/]

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
My thought's before clicking: Well I mean they don't mention her directly, I mean there were a lot of different female actors in that game getting into trouble with the law or otherwise.

(Click)

AW THAT'S JUST WRONG! Funny, BUT WRONG!

Yeah, I'm posting this on Facebook.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
That tweet... oh god... so much... so much win...

OT: Ugh. I wouldn't put it past Lohan or her lawyers for doing something like this, but come the fuck on! As someone who has lived in Southern California pretty much all of his life [small](a place that GTA V does a fantastic job of satirizing)[/small], there are MILLIONS of women that look just like that. I don't think they have a case here.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I never even considered she looked like Lindsey. Now that she mentions it... I can see the resemblance to her past self (she didn't have that tall/slender body though). She certainly doesn't look like that character now.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Is that really what she looks like now? She looks like a 50 year old with a cheap plastic surgeon. If Rockstar did use her likeness then she should surely have to pay THEM for making her look better than reality does.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I think she's trying to cash in on the same thunder Ellen Page had for complaining for likeness issues with The Last of Us. Honestly, I don't think her case will hold water.

OT: I thought the woman in GTA5 looked like Elizabeth Banks to me. Jeez, I hope Elizabeth Banks doesn't think she needs to sue.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Oooh, burnt like an ant under a magnifying glass!
Also very silly. Firstly, let's ignore the uselessness that is TMZ.
Secondly, even if this is true, Loki_The_Good made a good point about satirical portrayals of public figures: This wouldn't work, even if it were to happen. Believe it or not, Lohan is not the sole example of a female, spoilt, drug-addled, celebrity-idiot. How is this specific to Lohan? And even if it were, how would a satirical depiction require Rockstar to pay anything?

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Satire is protected, so the case will be dismissed.

She would only have a case if the material was published with "actual malice". In other words, if they were deliberately trying to make people believe falsehoods that were damaging to her. Parody of events already in the news and thus public domain would not qualify no matter how insulting the depiction.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
If this turns out to be true (And it may very well not be) then we also need to sue Jeff Dunham <youtube=mcpBnL8Oir0>

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The character doesn't really look like her? I mean wasn't she primarily known as a redhead? The game art looks more like a generic 80's Playmate. Heck I think Marvel comics has a better case claiming that Rockstar borrowed their Carol Danvers Ms. marvel art than Lohan does. Or is Lohans claim that Rockstar is using images of strung out California crack heads without license from her?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rasputin0009 said:
A rumour of a lawsuit? Why is this "news"? Go find some tweets to claim as "news" while you're at it.
better question is why does anyone care what she says anymore?

Anyway, it's just a cry for attention from a has-been, best thing to do is just ignore it,

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Well let's see... the 2D bikini gal is based on another very real model, and the gal in that mission looks and acts far more like Amanda Bynes than Lindsay Lohan. I'm sorry, but I don't see a case here.

P.S. Thanks

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
She's totally right.

Yep, a red haired drug addict with nothing going for her. Totally stole her likeness.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Remember when she was hot?
Before she looked like one of those 'faces of meth'?

I don't think Rockstar is a risk for anything, it's just free publicity for them.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
On the subject of these sort of things (suits that are unlikely to go anywhere) what happened to the author going after Ubisoft for them stealing his idea for accessing ancestors memories for Assassins Creed? Rhetorical question, of course, I'll probably google it, if I can be bothered.

Really though Lindsay, what have you done to yourself? A pure waste... Guess you got turned down for Scary Movie 7, if these are the lengths you are having to go to for some attention.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
trty00 said:
Honestly, I desperately hope this is just a rumour. With how rabid and vicious fans of this game have gotten... I find myself a bit fearful for her mental well-being. Of course, people have probably already started to attack her because of mere possibility of this being true, but I think it would get infinitely worse if this became official. In short, fuck you TMZ. Fuck. You.
Wait, you're saying she isn't already mentally unstable? Or are you implying this will send her further down the batshit crazy road? Either way she isn't far off from there... I mean there's Charlie Sheen nuts (which I still think was a self-marketing ploy that was well executed) and Tom Cruise nuts (which is a whole other realm of batshit crazy) and then there's Lindsay Lohan nuts. But any way you put it, she's not mentally well already and I doubt this is nothing more than an extension of the attention-seeking crap she's been pulling since the news stories of her started. TMz isn't necessarily to blame for her actions, I'd say her parents are a big part of her lack of maturity and mental well-being more than a paparazzi site.