Rumor: Microsoft Killed PC/Xbox Cross Platform Play

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Elementlmage said:
I'm sorry, do you have a point?
It seems for the whole time I was playing that game, no one was at an advantage. I had no auto-aim bonus, so I stuck with using melee or a semi-auto rifle, so I didn't need to worry about any lack of aim-assist I did not need.
If the PC is at such an advantage in games, then how come I can aim properly on most console games (With no auto-aim), whereas if I pick up a copy of L4D2, it doesn't seem worth playing for the lack of ability to aim. Please, don't answer that, I have other things to do, and I doubt anyone could come up with a satisfactory answer. Only one person could, and she is a bit busy with more important things right now.

nmatters

Sep 8, 2009
Remember buying shadowrun for my computer to play with some friends who had it on xbox, the mouse sensitivity was just awful. No matter how much I tweaked it.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
arc1991 said:
I'd like this...Xbox and PS3 would work alot easier.
.I'm currently imagining how incredibly hard it would be to get the leaders of Microsoft and Sony to work together, let alone get them in the same room. Its a bit like trying to get Nintendo to put processing power into a console.

Ot: Woo! Pc gamers.

Sadly I've always dreamed about more games coming out with Xbox crossover since all my friends have Xbox's and I have a gaming pc.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
I'd love to be able to play 360 owners at MW2, it would be glorious carnage.

Spygon said:
But i could go into a list on why consoles players have the advanatage over pc players
Please do?

It's not like autoaim was the only boost console players had in shadowrun if you'd read the whole Wiki article.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
if they hate mouse vs controller so much you do they let people sell kits like these for xbox?

http://www.discoazul.pt/xscorch-xbox-360-pc.html

sorry for being in portuguese

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
jamesworkshop said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Elementlmage said:
Ironic Pirate said:
But in fast paced games, console gamers would have a mobility advantage, as WASD isn't all that great for movement...
time...
Remeber some pc gamers have been playing fps with a mouse and keyboard for 17 years straight

I have
I know, the only people I had ever seen were my friends, and I thought they were good.

So I'm sorry if I offended you.
Woah i'm not offended the Controller vs mouse and keyboard is irrelevant anyway since as a PC gamer I can pick whatever I want in any game I want, rather than the consoles controller only gameplay bar one exception (Unreal tournament 3)

It's a level of experince the mouse and keyboard has been the staple of PC fps since Quake (1996) but the dual analogue stick has only really been the staple of Console FPS since Halo (2001)

I find dual sticks quite awkward the sticky magnet feel of autoaim is annoying along with the acceleration, since the radius of movement is small thus requiring the game to make turns gradually become faster the longer you hold the stick in one direction rather than the mouse where if I need to move fast I simply move the mouse faster since it doesn't have an edge to restrict it.

The right stick is also a problem as it is impossible to use the XYBA face buttons at the same time and while the shoulder buttons do help you still have the problem of that your little finger and ring ringer are never in a place to press a button their only job is to help you not drop the controller, ultimatly the FPS design wastes fingers and wastes buttons

On PC my hands are always useful my mouse has enough buttons for every finger and fullfills the role of the right thumb stick but since the arm controls the movement not the thumb I can both aim and turn and still press the buttons rather than having to switch between R.stick and XYBA.

Mouse 5 button with scroll wheel

Thumb-Side Button:
Depending on the game it's useful for secondary melee attacks like knifes or rifle butts, the most common as it is not the most comfortable button is for non spamming tasks like reloading.

Index finger-Left Click:
Simple primary weapon fire/melee attack

Middle finger-Scroll Wheel:
Great for switching between weapons or controlling weapon scopes, especially good on weapons with variable zoom ranges or just plain scope on scope off depending on what the game uses also of lesser use it can be clicked like a button but rarely do i find a use for it, it does however make a good radial menu button in Crysis

Ring finger-Right Click:
Great for secondary fire or when not available makes a great Jump button since many FPS rely on fast jumping skills which is I find extremly comfortable to click repetedly and handy as most FPS movement/camera (linked due to FPS viewpoint) is controlled by the mouse.

Little finger-side button
Like the thumb the little finger is not a great clicking finger and thus takes on the same utility type actions rather than rapid actions so I like it for throwing grenades again depends on the game

Keyboard is the tricky one as buttons far outnumber the fingers unlike the mouse where fingers naturally rest over the buttons, ability and easy of use is linked heavily with experience

WASD is the common movement keys but at most only two will ever be pressed at any one time since you can't move in three directions at once.
In finger terms the ring finger can easily cover both Q/A while the middle takes W/S and index covers both E/D.
Most standard competive arcade style FPS do not have much of a use for Q/E but can be handy in single players games for picking up items or opening doors.
The thumb is really only suitably placed for the space bar often unused (most ingame actions are covered by this point) while the little finger swiches to either shift or ctrl, these tend to cover less rapid actions like a running or crouching button that are either held or toggled not needing to be rapidly pressed.

The 3 main fingers take up most of the work and generally worry only about movement so the left hand isn't as complicated as it sounds, quite a lot of the time the only key being pressed is W with A/D if strafing is needed.

Sometimes skill gets brought up but I believe that the heavy limitations of the controller make Console gamers more skilled FPS players since no matter what you are always fighting the controller for control, rarely are you ever given the option of deciding what button perform what action, even with a sensitvity slider you can only ever turn as fast as the acceleration curve.
PC makes controlling an FPS a breeze often leading to a much faster twitch style of aiming and even the characters move noticably faster to the point where dodging bullets actually works and doing rocket jumps and other tricks become integral skills when fighting or racing for weapons and other pickups.

The ultimate expression of FPS is "Boom Headshot" but the reality is clicking on your enemies head isn't anymore challenging than clicking on a desktop icon or any other part of their charater model even a missed headshot if aimed low can still hit them, it's this that leads to the trickshot style PC shooters have gained where multipul mid-air headshots are common and fights often happen 360 degrees as flanked or behind attacks are easily met.

Skill is probably a bad word as you still have to beat the other players but PC FPS control is soo damm easy that you cannot be anything other than lighning quick at all times and have little excuse not to be when the controls are far more fliud than say Halo where if they appear from behind you are finished provided they can hit people that can't even see them.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
tehroc said:
Double tapping the aim button to snap it in place on the target in modern console games like MW2 or BFBC2.
Hmm i've played a lot of Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox360 and have never been able to do that, must just be on the P.C. or something.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Phoenixlight said:
tehroc said:
Double tapping the aim button to snap it in place on the target in modern console games like MW2 or BFBC2.
Hmm i've played a lot of Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox360 and have never been able to do that, muct just be on the P.C. or something.
No, it's on all versions.
Not that you need it on the pc version

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Bigsmith said:
arc1991 said:
I'd like this...Xbox and PS3 would work alot easier.
.I'm currently imagining how incredibly hard it would be to get the leaders of Microsoft and Sony to work together, let alone get them in the same room. Its a bit like trying to get Nintendo to put processing power into a console.

Ot: Woo! Pc gamers.

Sadly I've always dreamed about more games coming out with Xbox crossover since all my friends have Xbox's and I have a gaming pc.
Nintendo at almost every generation have not been the least powerful console only the current that they have no power and woot pc gaming.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Greyfox105 said:
Hmm... funnily enough, when I played Shadowrun, I'm nowhere near the best 360 gamer... yet I could match the PC gamers move for move... I saw no advantage they had that I couldn't counter with ease.
But what do I know, I'm just a mediocre gamer, not one of the experts at Microsoft.
Still, could have been interesting to have more cross-platform play, even if it was just an added playlist option, so you can choose whether or not to play cross-platform...
Onyx Oblivion said:
Here's why:

The major push was that Shadowrun game mentioned in the article.

The game it was linked heavily to failed, therefore, cut yer losses and run.

And I killed dozen of PC gamers in my few weeks with Shadowrun. It's an advantage, but not an insurmountably massive one.
From wiki
"Differences between Windows and Xbox 360 versions
Wiki letter w.svg This section requires expansion.

Shadowrun is the flagship title for the Games for Windows - LIVE service that allows Windows Vista PC users to be fully integrated into Xbox Live. Due to this integration, FASA has decided to make several changes to try and create a more balanced competition between the Xbox 360 and PC versions.

* Because of the lack of 'pixel-accuracy' with the Xbox 360 analog thumbstick, the designers have included an aim-assisting technology, which basically interpolates the player's movement and causes the reticle to stay over an enemy player like a weak magnet. In addition, FASA has implemented a feature which causes the cross-hair to expand during quick movements, thus lowering the player's accuracy, making it impossible to quickly turn and maintain accuracy, reducing the potential advantage of playing with a mouse.[7][8] PC players, who have a more sensitive control scheme, are able to turn significantly faster than their controller-using counterparts and would have gained an unfair advantage."

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Mornelithe said:
murphy7801 said:
Mornelithe said:
Phoenixlight said:
tehroc said:
Hmm i've played a lot of Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox360 and have never been able to do that, muct just be on the P.C. or something.
No, it's on all versions.
Not that you need it on the pc version
Shouldn't need it at all.
that would be nice but consoles are pretty casual affairs everyone plus there dog plays my pet hate "COD MW 2"

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Mornelithe said:
murphy7801 said:
that would be nice but consoles are pretty casual affairs everyone plus there dog plays my pet hate "COD MW 2"
True, but it shouldn't mean all FPS' have to cater to the casual crowd.
Agreed but just look at way things are going sadly

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Late to the party as usual. I don't think gamepad for FPS supporters can say much until someone wins one of those computer olympic FPS competitions using one against people playing with mice. You can use gamepads in most FPS for the PC, so I think it strange that all those in competitions use mice and keyboards.

The point I actually wanted to make was that this is not a question about whether consoles or PC's are better. In fact the consoles have won out since everything is developed for them now and PC owners are luck to get ports of some of the games. What I find crazy is that console owners don't get the option to use a mouse. On the PC, I get the choice of using the right controller for the job, mouse for FPS, RPS; Joypad for games like Assassins Creed, Prototype; Steering Wheel for driving games; Joystick and throttle for flight sims.

Console owners do not get the same choice and that is why they suffer. I understand the reasoning. consoles are meant to be different to PC's, so if you allow mice there is not enough of a difference. But since consoles have now nicked everything else PC's can do, surfing the internet, looking at youtube videos, watching DVD's, why not nick being able to use whatever controller you want.

Oh and the mouse and keyboard combo is now old news. What people are starting to use now (me included) is a mouse game-board combo. Mouse for accurate aiming and game-board with analogue thumb stick for precise movement and lots of keys for everything else, best of both worlds.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Late to the party as usual. I don't think gamepad for FPS supporters can say much until someone wins one of those computer olympic FPS competitions using one against people playing with mice. You can use gamepads in most FPS for the PC, so I think it strange that all those in competitions use mice and keyboards.

The point I actually wanted to make was that this is not a question about whether consoles or PC's are better. In fact the consoles have won out since everything is developed for them now and PC owners are luck to get ports of some of the games. What I find crazy is that console owners don't get the option to use a mouse. On the PC, I get the choice of using the right controller for the job, mouse for FPS, RPS; Joypad for games like Assassins Creed, Prototype; Steering Wheel for driving games; Joystick and throttle for flight sims.

Console owners do not get the same choice and that is why they suffer. I understand the reasoning. consoles are meant to be different to PC's, so if you allow mice there is not enough of a difference. But since consoles have now nicked everything else PC's can do, surfing the internet, looking at youtube videos, watching DVD's, why not nick being able to use whatever controller you want.

Oh and the mouse and keyboard combo is now old news. What people are starting to use now (me included) is a mouse game-board combo. Mouse for accurate aiming and game-board with analogue thumb stick for precise movement and lots of keys for everything else, best of both worlds.