Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So Microsoft literally wants you to pay to have an always online camera in your living room. Okay, I'll get right on that.

For the record, my 360 hasn't had internet connectivity in like 2 years.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
So... always online DRM (which will be all fine and dandy until the servers crash), forced use of the Kinect, games required to be installed thereby taking up a ton of space (seriously I've tried installing games on the 360 they take up a HUGE amount of space) all of which will probably jack the price up to PS3 levels...

Did John Riccitiello take over Microsoft or something?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Isn't it grand that I never liked Xbox to begin with? It'll be great when they only get Halo as an exclusive the next console generation. That third party and indie support is going to crash if all this is true.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Both Sony and Microsoft had such a stranglehold on the last-gen that they will be hugely successful on launch, no matter what they churn out. At the moment I'm waiting for details of online. For example I'm not paying for Xbox live again, that was ridiculous. I'm also not paying for always on DRM, my internet really isn't very good and I do not benefit from this. Why should a companies neglagance mean I get a shitty console..

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Didn't read anything other than OP's post. Just gettin' that out of the way since I'm sure to retread someone else's statements.

I don't think this will be as bad as doomsayers are saying. Microsoft has been dealing with the masses for decades, almost 30 years since the release of the very first MS Windows. They might make mistakes and missteps every now and again, but they're not idiots. I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would make a series of decisions that would so thoroughly antagonize gamers, like these.

Oh, and that shtick about Kinect being required to operate the system? That's a little vague, I think. That may very well just be the receiver for wireless controllers, for all we know.

Call me a filthy apologist - I've done that more than once, IRL - but I want to stay optimistic about this. We know so little, still, that it would be utterly insane to make judgements now.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
hmm I'll wait till the official release before i give my opinion on this since its a waste of time to condemn them now

Edgeless

Jul 27, 2011
Could anyone please explain the reasoning behind Always-Online and DRM?

I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm not quite sure what all the hoopla is about and why it's so bad.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I hope the nextbox fails badly, they need to learn that DRM isn't acceptable especially at that level.
I'm glad the PC is my main system of choice with the PS4 filling the console role. Thankyou Sony!

Edgeless said:
Could anyone please explain the reasoning behind Always-Online and DRM?

I've been out of the loop for a while and I'm not quite sure what all the hoopla is about and why it's so bad.
It's treating all customers like criminals, and forces you to be online at all times. And while personally that isn't an issue with 100mb/sec internet, alot of people aren't so lucky. For alot it literally kills the ability for them to play the game they pay for. Also as Simcity and Diablo 3 have shown, even with the best net around it's no good if the companies can't/wont bother to supply the required servers to support the players, thus once again ruining the ability to play the game we've paid for. Oh and also, it means they can turn the system off at any time and you can kiss your game goodbye. Some of us like to be able to play our games whenever we want, I still have my first game V-Rally on PSX which I could play right now on my PSX/PS2/PS3 with no issue. Can't say that about Diablo 3 in 20 years time.

Brad Calkins

May 21, 2011
Producers really don't understand piracy, it won't be long after launch that someone will find a way to jailbreak the durango.

They're challenging the internet to a programming war here, that's like challenging the states to an eating contest, you are not going to win.

It's like Jim Sterling said, all they're doing is making the platform less convienent, which makes a pirate's job all the easier.

This always-online crap and that system that makes it so you can only play a game on one console is just going to be cracked anyway, and once it is, the whole thing's gonna come toppling down, as no one's gonna want to buy them legally, because the official products' are crap, so they will just go for the superior knock-offs.

Also that kinect thing doesn't even have anything to do with security, it's just a blatant attempt to sell more kinects.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Roxor said:
Always online DRM in the next console from Microsoft?

Methinks Microsoft is looking for an excuse to get out of the games business.
Microsoft makes more money from MS Office in a Month than they do all of Xbox 360 in a year.
Hell Microsoft makes more money off Internet Explorer than they do Xbox 360.

Microsoft just disband your gaming division, let the next Xbox go to vaporware, let the Xbox 360 get majorly hacked and go back to selling office products and business applications.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
If this is true then I probably am not going to participate in this console generation at all. I'll just stick to pc thank you.

deadpoolhulk

Dec 22, 2010
sooo what happens if my internet connection is turned off? which i often do to save mony on power bills. is my new console going to just be a very pretty paper weight until i turn the internet back on or what?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
So I?m a disabled person with absolutely no need for a kinect bar (don?t tell me I can wave my arms around to change the dashboard, I don?t need to look anymore of an idiot than I already do!)
Also I live in England we have largest amount of CCTV in the world anyway, Big Brother is already watching me, I don't need Microsoft peeking at me too!

I also live in an area with terrible internet access that can and will disconnect at will, so what'll happen? the machine will switch itself off? my game progress will be lost?

And these are mandatory?
Sorry Microsoft, you?ll be losing a customer.
[sub] and I know they don?t care, but it makes me feel better![/sub]

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Good.

If any of that were the case, I like when a company makes my purchase decision for me. It takes away some of the pressure.
Costia said:
I don't think MS will force developers to use an always online DRM. Not because its anti-consumer but because such DRM requires time and money to develop/integrate into a game, and not all studios would want to invest the required resources for that.
It doesn't need to be a developers/publisher's responsibility... It could be integrated inside the OS of the durango, the same way cross-chat is integrated into the 360 platform, or be a primitive in the new XDK.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I hate to admit it, but I think my morals might get a bit flexible on this one. As much as I want to say that I won't buy it no matter what... I have to admit that it'll probably depend on their implementation. Just like Steam undermined my "I hate all DRM" stance, the Durango has the potential to do the same to Always-Online connections.

Sim City 2013 wasn't just an always-online fiasco, it was a bad freaking game, and thus was easy to pass on. But imagine if their servers hadn't taken a huge dump, and the game hadn't sucked? Would that have looked more tempting? I know I'd have been considering it.

I know I'm not alone here. The truth is, the companies know that they'll take a short-term loss in customers, while they wear people down, but they're gambling on long-term benefits of always-online being accepted. And at this point... I can't help but wonder if they're right.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The other key unasked question will be what will this "always on" Internet be doing to a users monthly services bill. mS is not exactly noted for lean or lowest common denominator coding? How often is this thing going to clog my bandwidth pulling in marketing crap that it thinks I might like? What if my Internet has a bandwidth cap? How badly will this automated spy to trash that?

Also, bets on how long it will be before a court challenge forces them to disable at least one of the always on kin next or always on Internet, as a gross and illegal privacy violation (that users are obviously to stupid to recognize or agree to in an informed manner.)

Valdrrak Draconis

Jun 12, 2012
Wow its a dam shame, I used to be an Xbox Fanboy (back in the day) till I got my first Gaming PC and after reading this, I'm glad I never looked back. As well as the other oblivious reasons =P

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strazdas said:
Or maybe people with bad itnernet connections will finally wake up and start demanding their ISP to stop charging them a fortune for some crap connection that became obsolete 20 years ago....
Yes, making demands of monopolies generally gets things done.

Look, you're expecting people to make a big fuss to companies known for terminating service for people who make a big fuss. Doesn't that seem...You know, unrealistic?
I know the gaming community has a hard on for getting screwed over by publishers/companies, but there has to be a limit. There has to be an act that finally gets the community to rebel.There has to be....right?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I know the gaming community has a hard on for getting screwed over by publishers/companies, but there has to be a limit. There has to be an act that finally gets the community to rebel.There has to be....right?
I would hope so, but in this case I doubt it's the limit. I mean, we're not just talking gamers who have a history of being screwed over by ISPs. Even worse, gamers tend to be what are called "power users," and power users are generally among the first to be cut.

ISPs are kind of like insurance companies: they tend to want to take your money, but tend to not want to do anything for it. When you start using resources or demanding changes, they are more prone to look for a reason to terminate you. Which, thankfully, is not literally in the case of internet service.

Besides, these are the same consumers that bought a product that said "no refunds" with a known online-only service and demanded refunds when they couldn't play their game because of the online-only service. I don't think gamers are going to buck up here, period.