Rumor: Mortal Kombat Movie Being Remade

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Mortal Kombat Movie Being Remade

Whispers have come through the rumor mill that Warner Bros. is looking to remake the 1995 movie adaptation of Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Christopher-Lambert/dp/0790729997/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1280256031&sr=1-2], sometimes called the only decent videogame movie ever made.

Time and time again, I have heard gamers label the film adaptation of Mortal Kombat as the only good movie ever based off of a videogame. Unfortunately, here's the sad truth: Mortal Kombat (the movie) was never actually good. It was, however, remarkably self-aware and incredibly cheesy, which is why it somehow managed to be genuinely entertaining - you know, given that it was a cheesy kung-fu movie adaptation of a game that was originally intended to capture the spirit of cheesy kung-fu movies.

Horror movie site Bloody Disgusting [http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18833] reports that rumor has it that Warner Bros. is quietly looking to remake the 1995 action flick about fighters summoned to a remote island to battle for the fate of humanity and Earth. The rumored remake will supposedly have its screenplay penned by Oren Uziel, who apparently does in fact possess some modicum of talent - his Shimmer Lake made 2009's "black list," a list of the year's best unproduced screenplays in Hollywood.

And that's all we know. It might be true, it might not be - it's a rumor, so take it as such. I have to admit that I'm skeptical: While Warner Bros. does own the rights to the Mortal Kombat franchise after purchasing them from the imploding Midway last year, Mortal Kombat is much less relevant today than it was in 1995. The bloody, over-the-top fighting game caused one of gaming's earliest moral panics when it was released in 1992 (with one of the most memorable videogame commercials ever made [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyKqe33NLjI]), and was a huge hit in all senses of the word.

Now, though? It still has its fans, but it's hardly the household name it once was.

Oh well - if Warner Bros. does remake the movie, maybe they can get Christopher Lambert back to reprise his role as Raiden. That would be pretty cool.

(Via Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/mortal_kombat_movie_reboot_rumoured.html])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
This cana only end in one of two ways...Really bad or really, really bad.

The first film was cheesy as it was, god knows how much more cheese can be added with technology!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
No! No, no no no no no.....

[HEADING=1]NOOOOO![/HEADING]

You're right, it is the only decent vidjamagame movie ever made. And now that's going to shit as well.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
I really don't care, as long as its good i mean seriously how the hell do you get a plot out of a fighting game where the objective is to beat the ever loving crap out of people.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Theres been rumours of this spining for some time now.

It even has its own Wikipedia page.

I honestly hope it does happen. YEA I SAID IT.

Im a huge Mortal Kombat fan. I dont like the games and movies for the same reason tho.

P.S Ignor that pile of piss that was MK:Annihilation.

Go Watch Mortal Kombat: Conquest.

It was much better.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
WTB: John Woo-style flick.

Not the US bastardizations of it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
<spoiler=Only Darth Vader can voice my opinion adequately>

Even Chris Lambert won't be able to save this one. Although it could fall down the so bad it's good hole, which would be alright I suppose.

ChromeAlchemist said:
Curse you Ninjas...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
John Funk said:
Horror movie site Bloody Disgusting [http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18833] reports that rumor has it that Warner Bros. is quietly looking to remake the 1995 action flick about fighters summoned to a remote island to battle for the fate of humanity and Earth
I thought they were doing that already? Oh wait, that's right...

If you know your KOF at all, I dare you to find a trailer and tell me which one of the countless black clad fighters are who. Jesus it's a design wash if I ever did see one.

And the most irritating thing? This is basically the story to SvC Chaos (SNK vs Capcom) so why the hell didn't they just do that? I don't know who owns the movie rights to Capcom characters, but still.

God sometimes I wonder why I aim to get into this industry...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
And one more thing, squire:

John Funk said:
Time and time again, I have heard gamers label the film adaptation of Mortal Kombat as the only good movie ever based off of a videogame. Unfortunately, here's the sad truth: Mortal Kombat (the movie) was never actually good. It was, however, remarkably self-aware and incredibly cheesy, which is why it somehow managed to be genuinely entertaining.
That's what made it good! I mean bear in mind this is 1994, and the people who would have been watching this film were kids, teens and young adults. It was fanservice pretty much, as whatever was in the film was in the game, and isn't that how a videogame movie should be?

fix-the-spade said:
<spoiler=Only Darth Vader can voice my opinion adequately>

Even Chris Lambert won't be able to save this one. Although it could fall down the so bad it's good hole, which would be alright I suppose.

ChromeAlchemist said:
Curse you Ninjas...
Hey hey hey now, let's not get Crazy. If Chris Lambert was in this, he damn well could save it! I mean christ it's Christopher Lambert! *rambles on*

As for your second part, it's like I said above, so bad it's good is kinda how it should be in a sense, especially fighting games since they don't have the most captivating stories to begin with.

And hell I've just had a brainstorm of how to make this good. Don't remake it, instead kill Liu Kang like they did in Deadly Alliance and work off of that story.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
What do you mean that the first movie was never good? As a game based movie, it's quite average.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Ya know, I actually don't mind if this happens. Look at it this way: it might bring about a resurgence of interest in the video games.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I don't mind it being cheesy. I love Mortal Kombat, and I'll watch whatever movie about it--remake or not.
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was horrible, though... that one doesn't count.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
it was a good movie and it was rather cheesy but that made it better

a remake wouldn't be bad, i just hope it doesn't take itself overly serious and then it would be ok

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Of course the first Mortal Kombat movie was cheesy but that's what made it good..that and it an okay job of following the MK canon.

I just pray to the Elder Gods that Warner doesn't try and salvage the horrible abomination that was Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Unfortunately, here's the sad truth: Mortal Kombat (the movie) was never actually good. It was, however, remarkably self-aware and incredibly cheesy, which is why it somehow managed to be genuinely entertaining.
Susan Arendt said:
I loved Mortal Kombat. Cheesy, yes, but delightfully self-aware.
If we're knocking cheesy movies then we lose MST:3K, Flash Gordon, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Gremlins...

Is that the world you want, John?

Can you live, as a geek, knowing that you cast them aside as "not good movies"?

I turn my back on you, sir. (while wearing the Razorback)

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
If they re-make it then the only thing that will save it in my opinion is the techno theme song. That was so cheesy that it was epic.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
A remake of a movie that itself was a ripoff of a Bruce Lee movie? Eh, why not. It was entertaining enough.

Guestowel

Oct 9, 2008
I really liked it for the soundtrack. I am willing to wager that the soundtrack made more money than the movie, I am also willing to place the same bet with Spawn The Movie soundtrack.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
it was the best videogame movie ever; unfortunately it was awful. Which says a lot about other videogame movies.