Rumor: Mortal Kombat Reboot Locking Multiplayer Behind Online Pass

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Scabadus said:
Hurray, an excuse not to buy the next Mortal Kombat game! I never liked them anywa- what's this? Batman: Arkham [I'm assuming this is meant to be 'city' here?]?

Aww shit, I wanted to buy that one. Damn you principles, why must you make everything complicated?! Ahh well, more money for me I guess. I'll just give it to Pringles and Monster instead while playing other games.
That's the spirit i will be doing to same.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Adzma said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Online Pass systems are a good thing. They mean that developers effectively make money from second hand sales, rather than everything going to the retailer. They deserve something for their hard work.
A-motherfucking-men.

Too many people ***** and complain about this sort of thing without thinking it through first.
I agree, though I do think 800 MS points is a bit much. I'd say 400 is just fine or 5$.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
9_6 said:
Can't wait until that trend spreads over to pc games.
How could this spread to PC games? You can't resell PC games, thus why would you bother to make a PC owner imput an extra code for online play?

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
spartan773 said:
Adzma said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Online Pass systems are a good thing. They mean that developers effectively make money from second hand sales, rather than everything going to the retailer. They deserve something for their hard work.
it's also, as i've said in a previous post, a way to recoup losses.
Are you sure? You sure it even goes to the developers? Or does it just go to the greedy publishers.

Think about it. These fuckers charge for content already on a disc through DLC, and now if you buy it pre-owned you have to buy more content on a disc.

You're owning less and less of the software you bought, even if you bought it new. How long does it take before a new game seriously becomes used? 6 months?

Gamestop, Best Buy sell used games.

Walmart/Online retailers (such as Xbox Live/PSN) do not.

Greedy fucks. They expect when some one buys a game a year or two later that their "online activation" bullshit is still going to be around? That crap costs money to maintain.

Now you tell me how much of that 10 dollars went towards the developers and not maintaining a shitty DRM system.**

** Note very rhetorical request that kind of data is hard to prove either way. I just don't believe that stuff is really out to "protect the developers".

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
The problem is what are they going to do when they scream "no one is buying our online passes; people are selling them to others". I know I don't care about multi-player so I am just as happy to sell my pass and get 10 bucks off the game for content I never use (of about 50 games I own I play 3 online). If gamestop (oh noes) is willing to buy my online pass and sell it will the game developers soon be bitching about the sale of unredeemed access codes? Just something to watch. I am all for developers getting their cut from used markets, however, I feel like they should be going after the used game stores, not the customer.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
The game was already paid for once. This is a bunch of crap. They are trying to double dip their profits while not selling anything new. This would be like buying a ratchet from a garage sale and come to find out Craftsman will only let you turn it left till you pay them something extra. Or perhaps a used car that won't go over 15 mph till you pay the maker another $1000.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
ZeppMan217 said:
Oh, Ok. I'll just pick it up a few months later AFTER the release when it won't cost 60$. No biggie.
Exactly what I was thinking unless it comes out 10$ cheaper than all the other games.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i have no problems with online passes but they probably have a bad reputation because the EA marketing department is made up of 13 year old monkeys who make horrible ad campaigns instead of putting a positive spin on project ten dollars

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
AndrewC said:
I see nothing wrong with these Online Pass schemes for playing online or whatever from buying a pre-owned game.

It's good that the developer gets some money out of it.
Let's say you want to buy a car from a used cars dealership, Mercedes for example. Do you have to give money to Mercedes in order to use the car or are you just gonna pay the dealership?

What these developers are doing is just greedy and it's theft. They already have the money from that copy and they demand more?! The nerve! People have the right to buy used goods and they shouldn't have to pay anything to anyone else except the store they're buying from. Why are they allowed to get away with this shit?
The games are too expensive as it is. If they want to increase profit all they have to do is lower the prices of the games. Lower the prices $10, there will be more demand for the game and people won't sell their games to buy other games as much as before.
Lower prices = more demand, high prices = less demand and more piracy. That's basic economy.

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
Se7enUpMustang said:
Well I was going to buy it.

I dont care how much I want the game, I dont care if it is the best game ever made, I dont care if you get 2 free strippers when you buy it. I will NOT buy any game that uses a sigle use code for access to online play. People who buy games legally are being punished for something that isnt our fault and there is no way we can fix it, so.....

FUCK THAT GAME
FUCK ANY OTHER GAME THAT DOES THIS
FUCK MP ACESS CODES
AND FUCK ANY DEVELOPER WHO USES THEM

We dont deserve this.
Entitlement much?

Developpers want to make money on the games they sell. Gamestop's used games give the developpers NO money. So this is a way to make their money back.

Makes perfect sense, really.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I've talked about this in the past with people, but I'll put it this way: If you agree with this, you and I are on opposite sides of the fence.

Do an online pass, or do paid DLC. Don't do both. No one can tell me that the company is losing money after they release 10+ characters as DLC and the grand total of the game ends up being £90.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Fawcks said:
Developpers want to make money on the games they sell. Gamestop's used games give the developpers NO money. So this is a way to make their money back.

Developers already made money on that copy. It's not their copy anymore. It was the copy of a person who bought the game and then that person sold the game to Gamestop. And now that copy belongs to Gamestop. Developers have no right to make any money out of it. There's an actual law against such behavior in my country that prevents bad greedy business deals and transactions and it protects the consumers. Consumers are the ones who should be protected, not the companies.

What is wrong with you people? You are siding with corporations! Do you realize that by doing this you give up your rights? Rights you had as consumers not 10 years ago! Little by little you're giving them a free pass to fuck you anyway they want too.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Fawcks said:
Se7enUpMustang said:
Well I was going to buy it.

I dont care how much I want the game, I dont care if it is the best game ever made, I dont care if you get 2 free strippers when you buy it. I will NOT buy any game that uses a sigle use code for access to online play. People who buy games legally are being punished for something that isnt our fault and there is no way we can fix it, so.....

FUCK THAT GAME
FUCK ANY OTHER GAME THAT DOES THIS
FUCK MP ACESS CODES
AND FUCK ANY DEVELOPER WHO USES THEM

We dont deserve this.
Entitlement much?

So we're going to ignore the millions they're going to make on DLC content, like any other company? As far as I'm concerned, as far as these big companies go:

And they didn't sell it, someone else did.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
My entitled prick aspect is making me go "WHAT?"

My rational thinking aspect is saying "well, fair enough I am buying their game and playing on the servers they rent from Microsoft.

Just wish it was someone other than the draconian people at WBIE that were implementing it and then I'd be able to fully get behind it.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Aww :( i intended to buy this cheap after the price droped! Oh well i guess i now have an excuse to get it at launch!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I could get behind it if they knocked down the price by half. 5 dollars seems way more reasonable then 10.

God feels like in the future we won't even own games anymore and they'll still cost the same amount.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
800 is a bit much, no? But still, it's good that the company actually gets some money out of used games. It's not fair to the developers that these retailers are buying back games and giving them at almost retail price again, but not giving any money back to the developers.

Anyway, waiting is another option. People can just wait a few more months and buy the game new, but at a lower price.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
Fawcks said:

Developers already made money on that copy. It's not their copy anymore. It was the copy of a person who bought the game and then that person sold the game to Gamestop. And now that copy belongs to Gamestop. Developers have no right to make any money out of it. There's an actual law against such behavior in my country that prevents bad greedy business deals and transactions and it protects the consumers. Consumers are the ones who should be protected, not the companies.

What is wrong with you people? You are siding with corporations! Do you realize that by doing this you give up your rights? Rights you had as consumers not 10 years ago! Little by little you're giving them a free pass to fuck you anyway they want too.
Giving up what again? Games are not a right nor a necessity, its a luxury..
So If you don't like it?.. Don't buy it. Its THAT simple!

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Fawcks said:
Gamestop's used games give the developpers NO money.
GS, as well as other retailers, also, supposedly, forces them dem publishers to sell digital copies for the same price as retail.
I see a solution here: F them dem retailers, go all digital.
Which leads us to an even superior solution: F them dem publishers (except Valve).