Rumor: Mortal Kombat Reboot Locking Multiplayer Behind Online Pass

escapador

Mar 17, 2011
I'm not sure if I understand. I have to pay the usual 60? for the game plus 10? to unlock multiplayer? Or is the 10? unlock just for the people who buy it second hand? Does the 60? include multiplayer?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If my buddy sells me a used game for $40, he can no longer play it online, as he lost the online portion in the transaction along with the rest of the game. However, if I need to buy an online pass, then I didn't receive the online portion. Effectively, part of the game simply disappeared in the process of a used game sale. Or, more accurately, the publisher basically stole it back to resell it.

As I see it, it's highly dishonest and greedy to demand extra money if the game's already been paid for. They have already received their money for a single copy of the game; it's not like a used sale creates a second copy of the product. They have no right to demand payment for something that has already been paid for.

Imagine, as an example, if every television were uniquely identified in a way that every set top device could recognize. Imagine further that you have a DVD player and a movie. You decide to resell the movie because it was Disaster Movie, you regret purchasing it in the first place, and are hoping to cut your losses. Should the person who buys it after you be barred from watching the special features since he didn't buy new? Does the fact that the studio isn't seeing ADDITIONAL profits from an ALREADY-SOLD unit mean that he is not entitled to everything that normally comes with it?

What about physical products? If someone resells a bookcase, does Ikea have the right to take the shelves back and demand payment so that the customer can have what they already purchased? Ignoring the fact that such a scheme would obviously be unfeasible to implement and impossible to enforce, it would also be a slap in the face of consumers' rights, and in most places considered illegal.

If a person sells a game and the buyer doesn't receive all of it because it's used, the publisher or manufacturer is STEALING. THIS IS THEFT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. The entire game has already been paid for, and there are no additional copies in circulation as a result of this sale, so the publisher has no right to demand extra revenue from it.

P.S. Thanks

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I dont like it if for anything for the fact me and my friend like to go over to each others houses and play our games together and having to pay $10.00 to do that is sort of ridiculous. They are limiting playability and I will not buy this game or any like it because I do not like where this trend is going.

Reaperman64

Dec 16, 2008
thats the thing though ten dollars, is alot less than ten pounds, and 800 points cost ten pounds in Great britain

rwege

Nov 12, 2009
I feel this is just another cash-grab that will soon become the norm if this takes hold. Keep in mind the trend in gaming used to be that you would purchase a game for its full retail price and get THE FULL GAME.

Now you get whatever the developers managed to finish and test before the company big-wigs said "enough, ship it out" regardless of the stage it was at. You can release the biggest crapfest imaginable, as long as you made a trailer for the game showing an awesome cutscene without any actual gameplay.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I bought Mass Effect 2 second hand at about 35 euros. Would I pay 10 more? Yeah, for ME2. Depends wholly on the game. MK and Batman are also 2 games I wouldn't mind paying an extra 10. Besides, it would still be a minus 15 to 20 euros from every game, so...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Adzma said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Online Pass systems are a good thing. They mean that developers effectively make money from second hand sales, rather than everything going to the retailer. They deserve something for their hard work.
I just think it's too bad that they always do this by ripping off the consumer rather than the establishment that's causing their loss of revenue. Do you really think this is going to stop gamestop from selling the used copy for $57.99? Of course not. This will just lead to the consumers getting ripped off.

It's too bad because this looked like a game I would've bought new but this news inspires me to buy it used purely to make a statement. I wouldn't be playing this online anyway. Games like MK are meant to be played on the couch with friends. I'm not going to get so good at this game that I can go up against some 12 year old Korean kid who's been playing it 8 hrs a day since launch.

They can take their online and shove it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
You know what would be a hoot? the publishers charging retailers $10 for every used copy of their intellectual property and give the consumers everything inside the box. :O

must be a really silly concept to make royalties off someone else who is selling your IP for profit.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Great, the publishers want to be greedy so the consumer is the one to get shat on... AGAIN.

Why can't this "pre-owned is destroying games" bullshit just go away? Where do you think we'd be without pre-owned game sales? Fucking nowhere because I wouldn't be able to find 80% of the games I want. What happens when they stop producing copies of the game or you want to find something from a previous gen? Exactly.

Maybe you should start looking at why so many pre-owned copies are on the shelf within days after launch, instead of screwing everybody even more.

spartan773

Nov 18, 2009
Xersues said:
spartan773 said:
Adzma said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Online Pass systems are a good thing. They mean that developers effectively make money from second hand sales, rather than everything going to the retailer. They deserve something for their hard work.
it's also, as i've said in a previous post, a way to recoup losses.
Are you sure? You sure it even goes to the developers? Or does it just go to the greedy publishers.

Think about it. These fuckers charge for content already on a disc through DLC, and now if you buy it pre-owned you have to buy more content on a disc.

You're owning less and less of the software you bought, even if you bought it new. How long does it take before a new game seriously becomes used? 6 months?

Gamestop, Best Buy sell used games.

Walmart/Online retailers (such as Xbox Live/PSN) do not.

Greedy fucks. They expect when some one buys a game a year or two later that their "online activation" bullshit is still going to be around? That crap costs money to maintain.

Now you tell me how much of that 10 dollars went towards the developers and not maintaining a shitty DRM system.**

** Note very rhetorical request that kind of data is hard to prove either way. I just don't believe that stuff is really out to "protect the developers".
listen, why else would there NOW be development of these paid online passes, DLC and the like?
This didn't exist during the ps2-xbox reign.
It's all because of the massive budget and shorter deadlines of today's games. They need a way to recoup losses based on the game. sure those prices are split umong sony/microsoft and their respective studios, but the fact still stands...
DLC and paid online passes are here to thrive. and, they said PRE-OWNED games, these passes are more than likely to be included in new copies. Example of this is Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition or new copies... it came with an online pass code... most likely this implementation will exist in 2 ways, a limited-time, one-use code included in new games and paid passes for pre-owned games...

They're finally realizing that pre-owned games exist and that they see it as a loss since none of the money goes to them,
may sound greedy but that's a bare necessity. that money's crucial... without money, coders, modelers, actors, studios would be out of jobs. no money = no more future games.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
I've talked about this in the past with people, but I'll put it this way: If you agree with this, you and I are on opposite sides of the fence.

Do an online pass, or do paid DLC. Don't do both. No one can tell me that the company is losing money after they release 10+ characters as DLC and the grand total of the game ends up being £90.
I completely agree with that statement. It's just greedy otherwise.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
This is so much crap. I rented Homefront only to find out I was locked at Level 5 online unless I paid up for a code. This idiotic plan absolutely kills rentals for everyone.

And $10 to rank past Level 5 Homefront with it's horrendous party system and constant disconnections? No thanks. Fix your fucking game before you even think about charging extra for online play.

Now Mortal Kombat will have no online at all unless you buy new? Bullshit.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
ryo02 said:
well I wasnt going to buy this game anyway so meh (or pirate it I just dont want it)

Mod Edit: Piracy is illegal
AHH bad wording on my part I meant I wasnt going to buy it or pirate it SORRY thats why I said "I just dont want it" (I dont pirate ever)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Shy_Guy said:
This is so much crap. I rented Homefront only to find out I was locked at Level 5 online unless I paid up for a code. This idiotic plan absolutely kills rentals for everyone.

And $10 to rank past Level 5 Homefront with it's horrendous party system and constant disconnections? No thanks. Fix your fucking game before you even think about charging extra for online play.

Now Mortal Kombat will have no online at all unless you buy new? Bullshit.
But you didn't buy the game, and even though rental copies cost much more than retail copies, neither you nor anyone else who rented the game have the right to enjoy the online features. I mean that makes sense, right? T_T

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I can understand shipping the game with a DLC code, bonus content not needed for the game. These day online multiplayer is expected, so I'm calling BS on this. It's like MW or CoD not coming with it, it's why people buy the game in the first place. 1st day DLC is fine, reduced functionality is not.

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
I have no problem throwing a little extra money the developers way; HOWEVER, I do have a problem with the way they're doing it. I feel like I'm having a finger pointed a me saying I'm the problem. I do buy games used, but the 2 biggest reasons I do that is 1: I wasn't interested in the game at launch and now have to buy used if at all or 2: I didn't feel like paying the $60 at launch and decided to wait for a price drop. Again, no problem with the idea of DLC or the like, just a problem with the fact I'm being pointed at as though I was a pirate.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
AndrewC said:
I see nothing wrong with these Online Pass schemes for playing online or whatever from buying a pre-owned game.

It's good that the developer gets some money out of it.
Let's say you want to buy a car from a used cars dealership, Mercedes for example. Do you have to give money to Mercedes in order to use the car or are you just gonna pay the dealership?
No, but the dealership has to pay Mercedes if they want to keep their dealer license and continue to sell said vehicles.