Rumor: Next Xbox Could Run Windows

smartengine

Mar 23, 2010
Maybe they finally get this one right! It would be nice to be able to plug in a controller and be able to play 360 games... sure would ruin PS3! Why would anyone buy a console when you can buy a PC with all the console goodness. And the Xbox would then become a pre-built PC. Sounds good to me.

Kuckles

As good as the next man.
Aug 15, 2010
If this is true, then brace yourselves third-party developers. Cause Piracy is going to fuck you up, if you choose Microsoft. I mean seriously, Windows is not really known for it's good protection against piracy, and pretty much the only thing stopping this for the Xbox is that you have to hack the console itself to play pirated copies. Now they're just going to put Windows on the Xbox, and everyone can just start up a hacked copy of the game. And 'god' knows DRM won't help!

Sure the idea sounds cool, and practical of course, probably saves some money too. But I am wondering what they're going to do about the piracy. And then there's the viruses. Imagine your PC infecting your Xbox and pretty much bricking it via your home network. Also what's the point of even having a Xbox anyway, what will be the extra value over a PC, Right now its pretty much the XBLA and the games, but then it will maybe be the controller? (which can be used on a PC anyway.) I just don't really see this working, but go ahead Microsoft, prove me wrong.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
JET1971 said:
If you think RAM is a cost issue then you really dont have a clue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104166
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148346
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178265
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233132

want more in the under $25-50 range?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%204025&IsNodeId=1&name=%2425%20-%20%2450

Thats in retail prices, easily twice as much as what they would pay for in a bulk contract directly with the manufacturer. $12.5 to $25 and they would be about what it would cost them for 4GB per XBox today. the biggest cost in the console is the CPU and GPU not memory.

OT:

Why dont they just sell the Xbox as a program for PC like steam is but much more built into the OS and let people use a laptop or desktop of choice? it would be the same selling model as the windows OS as in you pick your own hardware. hardware incompatibility wouldnt be an issue with the games themselves because the program that runs them could be easily set for exhisting hardware and when new hardware comes out they wont need to do anything because its all backwards compatible as is until major advancements come into play.

Manufacturers of laptops could add in the Xbox program and controler/TV hookup kit and you could have an ultra portable Xbox play your games while traveling and hook it up to the TV when you get there.

Right so where is my PS4/XBOX with 8Gbyte of memory... I don't see it yet.

Seriously it is true that RAM is cheaper then the GPU and the CPU but you still get less then a contemporary pc. What will the next consoles get .. 1Gbyte.. maybe. Seriously I don't see the next upcoming consoles coming out with 8Gbyte of memory or 16Gbyte. Something like that would be very nice though if you want to raise teh possible image quality.

And that is the problem seriously both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 have about 512Mbyte that is it. A strong limitation in what it can offer.. the next consoles will have the same problem.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
well, as long as they didn't sacrifice functionality, kept a decent amount of backwards compatibility and kept the OS size way down, I think i might be able to get on board.
it IS a tall order though.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
The only major difference I see coming from this is console owners having to pay more for their OS, and having to buy multiple versions of what's essentially the same product. Still, it'd be nice for Windows to die with some dignity (read: asap)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Somehow, I still have my doubts that I'll be sticking XBox games into my PC to play them. In which case, I'm bored by this news.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'm still going to use both worlds as long as each of them don't have an arm or leg ripped off to garner more profit for less of my enjoyment.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
If they're going to all this trouble to change the name and make everything work together, why the hell wouldn't they get rid of Internet Exploder?

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Wait, didn't Sony try this with the Linux for a while, but then changed their minds, causing the whole Geohotz, Anonymous, Lulsec mess? Hopefully Microsoft won't make the same mistake...

Captcha: condemns hilincu

Hmm... Was this Hilincu guy the one who recommended taking the Linux out of the PS3 in the first place?

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
But we already have a tablet, phone and console all in one. Its called a PC and its been working for a long time.

Will Holmes

Mar 11, 2011
This hinges on one question from me, will Microsoft take the closed model of Windows Phone 7, or the open 'install whatever the hell you want' model of Windows (the big PC one). If it's the former, Microsoft would effectively become a less classy Apple and would fail.

If it's the latter, I am extremely exited for the whole project. On that condition, great idea, Microsoft.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
My first question is, would it be able to work the other way? I'd actually get an an xbox if I could install it on my PC.

My concern is here that i'd be forced to use a pre-built machine that I can't alter/update. But if the technology is there to bring windows to the xbox, I don't see why it shouldn't work the other way too!

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Feel like I'm missing something here, if my PC has the same OS and software as the console, why the hell would I want a console? Everything running on the PC seems to make much more sense. o_O

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So my whole argument of why the PC and Console war should and will end will be starting. Huzzah.