Rumor: Next Xbox Uses Touchscreen Controller

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
Its funny.

Video games are supposed to be the most progressive, revolutionary, up to date medium of the 21st century.

And yet the gamers at the forefront of the gaming community are the most outspokenly conservative, reactionary, resistant to change consumers I've ever seen in any category.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
VMK said:
Oh those rumors.
In a week, there will be information about X-box 720's "shoot lazers and make sandwiches" function.
>.>

i donno about you, but if it can make a sandwich, it might almost be worth getting one

almost

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
mad825 said:
Ha! I would now like to see people throw their controllers in a fit of rage.
Well, seeing as it would be "too bulky", I suppose it would snap their slender wrists like twigs when they tried.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
All this means to me is that I will only be able to afford one "possibly" two controllers ever. Also cant wait to see how impact resistant these things are as many a gamer has given into the rage.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Gxas said:
Gahhh...

Stick with the controller we have that works. Why does everything need a gimmick?
Because that's how we get new and better products, it's called innovation.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
lord.jeff said:
Gxas said:
Gahhh...

Stick with the controller we have that works. Why does everything need a gimmick?
Innovation. Yeah. Ok. So now I'll be playing my games without buttons? How will I know where I'm pressing without looking down at the controller?

What has made touchscreen games work, thus far, is that you're touching the screen. So, will the new Xbox not require a television then? Because then they're selling a handheld that cannot be played without an attached console.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I do see how a touchscreen controller could be awesome, but not in the current form every company keeps talking about. Maybe if the controller was just one full touchscreen in the shape of something that fit into hands like a standard controller? So maybe if we're playing a game, the developers can actually have their own control scheme mapped onto the touchscreen controller? Maybe even with their own graphics? A flight simulator could have switches and buttons projected on screen, while a shooter could have it's own analog stick and button combo. If any company where to do anything like that, I'd definitely be interested. But if all the consoles feature the controller with buttons already made onto the sides of it, I don't think it forces that innovation that a full-on touchscreen controller could provide. Plus, buttons to the sides means it's a bit of stretch to get your thumb to the touchscreen.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
If it's something like Project Fiona's control pad/touchscreen hybrid... then I'm alright with that. having the buttons for the simple stuff, and the context sensitive stuff like typing etc. on the touchpad adds some interesting ideas for control schemes into the mix, and that's not a bad thing. I remember a lot of people hating on the DS when it first came out for its "Arbitrary" second screen, but when used well, that second screen is a welcome addition. There will always be devs who just don't get it, and muck up the system by over complicating things that don't need to be complicated (I'm looking at you, Amy) But all in all I don't see this being nearly as bad and gimmicky as motion controls. I just really -really- REALLY hope they all decide to drop the motion control gimmick already, or if they have to keep it, use it for whatever "Aimed at Six Year Old Pet Simulator" they release with the system.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Once again nintendo sticks its neck out to push the industry forwards. Microsoft didnt want to get stuck making another kinect 3 years in again.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Gxas said:
lord.jeff said:
Gxas said:
Gahhh...

Innovation. Yeah. Ok. So now I'll be playing my games without buttons? How will I know where I'm pressing without looking down at the controller?

What has made touchscreen games work, thus far, is that you're touching the screen. So, will the new Xbox not require a television then? Because then they're selling a handheld that cannot be played without an attached console.
The WiiU still has buttons, and it is possible to use a touch screen without looking, a tablet mouse for example. Speaking of mice that's one of the reasons I'm for the touch screen it would allow for mouse aiming and menu selection but I'd still have an analog stick.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Touchscreens are a joke. Even if they made a floating hologram controller I would still be using a regular one because "looks cool" does not equal "intuitive".

And the worst part is how much money they burn on this. Something like 6 million dollars spent in R&D to make a shitty gimmick controller no one ever uses after a week's time, yet when their bottom line starts to dive all you hear is "Waaaaaah!!! Daddy Government, save us from the pirates!!!"

You want to make Xbox more popular? Add support for a mouse so people don't have to manage it through expensive third-party hardware [http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS%203.0%20Sniper-1.jpg], instead of trying to sell $160 movement sensors that don't do anything faster or better than something with actual buttons [http://www.spectrasymbol.com/tactile-response].

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Dammit. I didn't buy a nice giant TV only to have all the things I care to do on it make me stare at a handheld screen less than a quarter of the size. Fucking hell, put things back on the screen, where I love them. I don't want to be moving my gaze between my lap and my game unless a nice lady is playing with one, then the other.

Well, shit. Maybe I should just invest in a better gaming rig, and join the ranks of those snobbish PC Gaming Master Race tools...nah. Nothing's worth that. :p

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Sandytimeman said:
you know what would be cool? If sony and xbox didn't just rip off everything nintendo does. Seriously...first motion controls and now tablet controllers >.>

I don't know about this seriously it makes me just shake my head in disappointment.
You realize this is a rumor and should be treated as such, correct?
There's rumors swirling about the new xbox and new playstation, but there has been no confirmation from Microsoft or Sony that any of this business is true.
I'd take the information with a grain of salt.

beniki

May 28, 2009
I wish these kinds of decisions were based on genuine desire to innovate... but I can just see the board room meeting that decided this now:

"Our market data clearly shows that touch screen devices have significant growth potential in the current market. I mean look, everyone plays on the iPad now."

"Do we have any games in development that require a touch screen and high definition output on a different screen?"

"No, but why does that matter."

"So no one really knows how to use the new technology yet?"

*sigh*"Just look at this bar chart showing sales growth for touch screen devices. We can cash in on that too!"

I imagine the it was exactly the same kind of board meeting that brought in motion controls. I really wish games companies had a Tom Hanks in every meeting saying 'I don't get it.' Might make people actually think about what they're spending their money developing.