Rumor: Next Xbox Will Feature Blu-ray, Anti-Used Games System

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Plus I dont give a shit about the specs and stats of a new console launch, MORE IMPORT GAMES PLEASE!

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
And Sony and Nintendo are cracking bottles of champagne if this turns out to be true. It must be fun seeing one of your rivals piss off and alienate their consumers.
If Microsoft is doing it, it's because they are all doing it. No corporation would be silly enough to be the only one doing this.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Domehammer said:
I will not buy one if it EVER has anti-used game system. Lending and borrowing games between friends is part of console gaming culture. It's obvious though that it can't be true as it would suicide for next xbox to alienate core demographic people who buy consoles.
Yea. I and many other people grew up playing borrowed/rented games.

I also hate the idea that I have to be online. Currently, I favour console gaming because it isn't necessary to be online. PC gaming is already online all the time. If I'm going to be playing digital stuff, I think I'll stick to PC and avoid buying an inferior computer for gaming.

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
Here is an idea for the anti used game feature. All X-box 720 or whatever they end up calling the darned thing comes with a decent sized hard drive when you put the disk in it has to install an executable to the hard disk in order for the game to run then you limit the amount of times you can install the executable. Basicly the game first looks for the executable on the hard disk and if it's there runs normally if it's not there it downloads it and subtracts 1 from the installs left number. When installs left number equals zero no more installs second hand buying becomes more risky. As soon as thats discovered boom very limited second hand market.

apeninja

May 28, 2011
Usually I would be loath to stand on the fluffy dreams of the idealistic consumer, but the fact is: Toeys is completely correct.

They already introduce measures to encourage you to buy the game initially, with extra content editions, special editions, & single use codes that give a free download of exclusive content such as special armors or weapons, exclusive maps, or 'easter egg'-style goodies... Microsoft & the game publishers don't make money on used games. Microsoft & the game publishers don't want to make something which they don't profit from. Logic therefore dictates that Microsoft & the game publishers will try to prevent used game sales. I agree it would shoot companies that mainly made their profits from used game sales in the foot, but there will be ways to circumvent that. Knowing that games will not be bought second hand will up original copy sales, perhaps allowing publishers to sell the games to companies for less, allowing better profit margins.

There is no way that people will stop buying the xbox 3 because of these measures. People didn't stop buying games from Steam when their copyright procedure became cumbersome and ridiculous. People didn't stop buying films when they made unskippable "Piracy is theft" adverts- only viewable to people who have not pirated the dvd. People didn't stop buying games to protest the fact that after a hefty initial purchase you frequently pay between a 1/3 and the whole RRP on new maps, custom content, & extra quests. In fact, there was uproar about the fact that in some games you couldn't get all the achievements that were available with the original base game without buying DLC - now it's essentially standard. You pay to play online even though with PS3 it's free. You pay to dress your avatar in fancy outfits. You pay to get the game earlier with statues of the characters. Let's face it, there is nothing you will not pay out of the arse for, providing you can't pirate it. This is an ultimately excellent way to help prevent piracy & increase profit, and they will be all over it like flies to shit.

Tl;dr - Yes, I can see this happening. Microsoft would stand to make greater profits. You already pay to take shit from big companies. They see this, they laugh, they repeat etc etc. But it is unconfirmed, so you never know. It's just fun to speculate over baseless conjecture. Wheeeee!

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
So the new xbox will have a feature that Sony did years ago, and another feature that will make the console worse for a significant margin of their market?

I think i'll pass and just get a Wii-U. Because that is clearly going to be better. And you know what else? That wasn't even sarcasm.

They really have pushed their console out of business before putting it on sale with this DRM plan... The hollow promises of it's high specs will be small comfort.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
"boast" an anti used game systm?

why would you "boast" about that? it its true then thats fucking terrible..I would really hope people wouldnt get it..but *sigh* there are those still blinded by the shiny green logo..unofrtunatly

Jun 11, 2008
As long as Sony aren't thick fuckers they will make their next system if they decided to replace PS 3 allow used games which will then effectively rape MS next gen. If this rumour is true they have effectively 100% killed my interest in the console and I will happily go back to buy Playstations or a Wii-U.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
The problem with the argument against used sales, that the game companies lose money, is false. If one person has a game and sells it because they don't like it, then they no longer have the game. Only one copy of the game still exists, which was bought and paid for.

What the companies that are against used sales want is basically to force people to keep what they buy, forever. It also sort assumes that the person is only ever going to play the game once and that it's no good to the person afterwards.
Here's a hint, maybe make games that are fun to play more than once? You know, make the person WANT to keep the game? If someone wants to sell their game because they don't like it, maybe you should make a game they want to keep?

I kind of hope they implement this anti-used games feature. Mainly to watch and laugh as crash and burn. They'll be destroying their own product because few people will buy it. Expect a rise in piracy too, especially from legit customers who like to borrow/lend their games.

Person 1: Can I borrow your game?
Person 2: You can't use other people's games, it won't let you.
Person 1: Oh well, I'll just download it then since there are no demos and I can't borrow the games. And I'll save money too!

And then the companies will say say "see? This is why we need to stop piracy, it's destroying the industry!"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
FelixG said:
Wonderful news. it is about time they put a stop to other people profiting off of developers hard work without those devs seeing a penny of it.
replace developers with publishers

greedy stupid publishers

ogrebushi

Jun 7, 2010
I was thinking the same thing a few others did about the burn the consoles serial onto the end of the disc. A way to fix the "bring a game to the friends" or the more common "Red rings" would be a usb software dongle type system serial num on the machine comes as a little plug in. Bring it to a friends to play that game, swap it into your new system when your old one inevitably (at least it seems that way with current generation) red rings. Universal copies for rental chains, or even easier dongles that come with those so plug that in its the serial for that game. (hmm i remember hearing somewhere SGI was doing something like this but that was secondhand so i dont know)

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Yeah, introducing an anti-used system really would be like kicking a huge proportion of consumers in the balls and saying:

"Tough luck, we want more games on our system for you, even if this does NOT benefit you more than it should. Those AAA titles publishers need to hit $10,000,000 revenue per game more frequently or else they won't make a single cent in wages!"

Which seems counter-productive as "the new Loop console will be smaller and cheaper than the existing Xbox 360 console out at the moment. [http://720site.com/xbox-720-console-to-be-named-loop/]" so I really don't see why MS would want more money when they're saving more money in development as it is. Not like they're Nintendo or anything [http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88317/nintendo-loses-924m-in-apr-sept-2011-now-expects-full-year-loss/].

warhammerfrog

Feb 7, 2011
Well i would much prefer the devs get the money rather than gamestop. Plus i doubt this is
Real. I think the way to go about it is slowly phasing out discs as much as possible then industry middle men like gamestop will stop taking their big cuts

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seriously people (and maybe this has already been brought up, I'll admit I didn't wade through 4 pages of comments to make sure), if they did come out with some kinda "no used games" policy that would quite literally destroy the entire game rental market (at least as far as their own games are concerned). They would be pulling such a dick-move that they would literally be saying "Sony, please, we're tired of this race. Will you kindly take all of our customers off our hands?" It would be business suicide for them to add such a feature into their platform.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Sparrow said:
I highly bloody doubt this is true. Rumours are often bullshit. Remember half the stuff we heard about the 360? How much of that was nonsense?

Vigormortis said:
Nope. Still don't give a damn. I own a 360 and a Wii. They are likely the very LAST consoles I ever buy. Console gaming literally offers me nothing I can't get on my PC. And what it does offer, I often don't care about.
ALL HAIL THE PC MASTER RACE.
Yeah. Because that's exactly what I said.

Why is it the only time that stupid fucking term comes up it's from a console fan trying to demean a PC player?

Oh yeah, now I remember, it's because it's the only thing they can use to insult the PC gamers.

Can't say our hardware's worse then yours. Can't say our games are more expensive. Can't say our exclusives are crap. Can't say our controller sucks, since we can use anything. Can't say you don't have to deal with installs or DRM like we do, at least, not any more.

So what's left? Implying that all PC gamers are elitist pricks. It's kinda sad really. I mean, come on. At least TRY to think of something new. It's getting old. :/

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
Kwil said:
Anti-Used Game System Idea: Instead of BD drive, make it a BD-Burner. Those aren't a hell of a lot more expensive these days anyway.

Then jig your publishing requirements to be on WORM (Write once, read many) Bluray discs, and require a small bit of the disc to remain unwritten.

First time you shove the disc in your Xbox it looks for the code of another Xbox. If it finds it, it drops out with a message of, "The person who sold you this game violated the licence agreements on it when they did. Please contact them for an immediate refund." If it doesn't find any code, it writes the code of your Xbox on it, and throws up a EULA requiring you to click-through and agree that you'll only play the game on this Xbox. If it finds your code already on it, it proceeds as normal.

Thus, no online connection required, no having to thumb in some sort of code (which is generally one of the easiest security methods to bypass) and used game sales basically wiped out for any new game.
And then, when my Xbox fries itself and makes me buy all my games over again, in addition to replacing the system, I burn their factory down.

Good plan. :p

Edit: Seriously though, it's a good way of accomplishing the goal. I commend you for it.

It's just that the goal is horrible, which isn't your fault.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sparrow said:
I highly bloody doubt this is true. Rumours are often bullshit. Remember half the stuff we heard about the 360? How much of that was nonsense?
For that matter, remember how this EXACT rumour (The anti-used game one, I mean) was rampant before the launch of the Playstation 3.