Rumor: Next Xbox Will Feature Blu-ray, Anti-Used Games System

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Not a chance in hell Microsoft will drop used game support. Whatever profits would be gained from additional sales of consumers who primarily bought used in the past would be lost multiple times over from the numerous downsides. Gamestop and other similar stores would likely refuse to carry either the system or games. Rental outlets would no longer be buying games for obvious reasons. On top of all that there would be a grossly large number of people who wouldn't buy it strictly because of the lack of used game support.

Beyond the lost sales logistically it's also a nightmare. If you bind the games to particular machine then you have your customers losing their entire game library if their hardware gets broken, lost, or stolen. If you bind the games to an account you alienate a large chunk of your would be customers without an internet connection. There is simply no good way to incorporate it that's viable.

Furthermore, if you want to see what happens when used games are removed from the picture you need only look at the sad state of PC gaming. When people are stuck with what they buy they often times either buy only titles they are 100% sure of. PC gaming is a shell of what the console market currently is because the PC gamer avoids full price titles at all costs and relies heavily on sales. Then add to all that the increased rate of piracy. That would be the road ahead if used game sales were taken away.

The bottom line is that implementing a means of removing used game support is a horrible move and not a move we are likely to see anytime soon, if at all. This type of move would be the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face. While I don't think it would kill the market outright I do think it would be a plainly massive step backwards for the gaming industry and one where any gains would be deeply overshadowed by massive losses.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
You know.. If this "anti used games"-feature is true, combined with the PSN passes, that could really be something Nintendo can play to their advantage in the next console generation. Provided they are able to get their online service right.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Vigormortis said:
So...yeah. SIGN ME UP! Especially given that I would still have to pay monthly fees to play online. I just LOVE that! Paying a company to not support it's system and to gain the "privilege" of playing along side annoying, childish, racist, sexist twits. Because, you know, it's amazing to pay $60+ a year to be called a "******" and a "noob" all the time.
(I mean seriously Microsoft, it's been 7 years. FIX YOUR DAMN PARTY SYSTEM ALREADY!)

Okay. Rant over. Move along people.
But that's the best part of XBL! Seeing mister XxXSm0kew33d4L1f3xXx or ninjaassassin4829 or something of equal "originality" see a girl online of goes ape shit. It was probably the funniest thing when I was in a party with my female cusion, and one maybe... 11 year old boy just couldn't contain him self. Literally the first words out of his mouth were "are you hawt?"

It's a troller's paradise.

OT: As I said in another thread, no used games, no new Xbox for me.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Next Xbox Will Feature Blu-ray
In my opinion then, Sony won the console war between the PS3 and Xbox 360.
As Sony was a lead developer of the Blu Ray standard and Patten Holder for BluRay technology.

Yes I know the Blu Ray association made up from all the companies and organizations that help to contribute to it develop the tech handles licensing, but last I check Patten Rights can only belong to 1 individual (not a company or Organization) and that person is a Sony Employee.

I only purchase a Xbox 360 for Exclusives any ways, none of them being Halo.
Half of those games are Dreamcast ports.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I'm filing that under 'bullshit.' I mean really, if that were true then a game could only be played once then by any definition it becomes "used," doesn't it?

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Next gen kind of worries me.

I would like to think the whole anti used game thing was rubbish, but it is how steam gets stuff done. However I highly doubt Xbox will price their games to reflect that. What are they going to do sell all the games at 39.99 so people don't rage when they buy a crap game.

For me at least the used game was a price appropriate offering that let me pay what I wanted to get a game and then its DLC for a reasonable price, Which is not the fresh, plastic wrapped new game on the shelf price.

And as an off topic note, with the norm going up to blu ray we as gamers might need to look into dealing with cable companies stuck in the early 2000's who thinks 60 gbs is the mid high usage cable package for a month *cough* Rogers *cough*. Or else what you download the content maxing game of 2014 and go now everyone don't use the internet for a month

setting_son

Apr 14, 2009
My main concern isn't that Microsoft might introduce some used-game-protection (UGP) into the system - it's that if they do, Sony and Nintendo are likely to see it and think "I want a piece of that" and implement their own.

You could argue that Sony and Nintendo wouldn't implement UGP as they recognise that NOT having it makes sales of their own consoles more likely amongst second-hand gamers and that they would just look on as customers deserted the Xbox 720 platform.

And they might hold back, for a while. They might wait just long enough for the Xbox 720 to be dead in the water but sooner or later the idea will catch on. Nintendo and Sony despise used-game sales and they're just as keen as Microsoft to stamp them out - if that requires shafting the consumer again, so be it. What are we going to do - Stop playing games?

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
The only result of an anti-used game system being included that I can see is a mod chip t defeat that system hitting the market a week before the console.

Then when Microsoft comes up with a mod chip detection system to keep hacked consoles offline getting massive false positives resulting in a PR nightmare and little to no efficacy.

Mar 30, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
More interesting, and far less obvious, is word that Microsoft is looking to incorporate an anti-used game system into the new box. How, or even if, it will work isn't clear; a mandatory online component for the hardware that links each game to a specific console or user account might get the job done, but it would limit sales of the console to people both able and willing to take part in the scheme. And while publishers might dig the idea, it would almost certainly alienate the great hordes of consumers who enjoy the benefits of the preowned market.
So no more grabbing some brews and my copy of Reach and heading around to a mate's house for a beer and game night because my game is locked to my console/profile? This is either incredibly poorly thought out by Microsoft or total myth.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I don't know how they plan to make the "Anti-Used games" system, but I have an idea that could work.

When they burn the games, the disk will not be finalized. It will be possible to burn some more data on it. When you put the game the first time in a console, the console will burn the serial number of the console and finalize the disk. Once it's done, the console will not be able to start the game unless the serial of the console equals to the one on the game.

This would obviously create many new problems. One of the most obvious would be that you wouldn't be able to just take your game, go to a friends house and play it with him. You would need to carry your whole system without. This is a deal breaker for me.

But I hate the whole idea behind preventing the second hand market. Every industry has it's second hand market, who are they to prevent something like this?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
I don't have anything against anti used games. I mean, that's essentially a given if you play things on the PC. But like the PC, this had better drop the initial price of the games or shit should fly. The reason PC games are cheaper is because there's no resale value. So if Micro$oft think they can get away with removing that resale value but still selling their games at £40 a pop, well I might just mail my own faeces to the Xbox head quarters in protest.

Also why not just use a serial key like PC games, no need for anything fancy. That would kill the legal used games trade like it did for the PC.
A PC game comes out, it's 60$, a console game comes out, it's 60$.
How are the PC games cheaper again? They took our used game market, but they didn't give us anything back. Do you really think that they will lower the price of the game just because you can't sell it later?

The same problem happened with the introduction of DLC's. People though "cool, now that they have new ways to get income from the same game, they will probably lower the price of the game to make it more accessible! I love the idea behind DLC's!!!"
But what happened? Take parts of the game and sell them separated, which in turn make the whole game more expensive. Parts that should be in the game in the first place are sold as DLC's most of the time.

Same will happen here. If they don't have to think about the used market, they won't have anyone to compete with. They will increase their prices and you will have no other choice but to buy it. Well, there is another choice, but people will not like it. Don't but the game.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Heres what I'm calling right now.
The PlayStation Infinity, is going to be questionably as powerful, if not more powerful as the Wii U, which 'might' be twice as powerful as the xbox 360.

I'm betting, the Ps4/Infinity (I'm calling that name now to! :p) is going to use anywhere between 16 to 32 Core CPU using a 64bit/cpu/OS. (so they can actually have more than 2-4GBs of useable memory)

Anoni Mus said:
BiH-Kira said:
Abandon4093 said:
I don't have anything against anti used games. I mean, that's essentially a given if you play things on the PC. But like the PC, this had better drop the initial price of the games or shit should fly. The reason PC games are cheaper is because there's no resale value. So if Micro$oft think they can get away with removing that resale value but still selling their games at £40 a pop, well I might just mail my own faeces to the Xbox head quarters in protest.

Also why not just use a serial key like PC games, no need for anything fancy. That would kill the legal used games trade like it did for the PC.
A PC game comes out, it's 60$, a console game comes out, it's 60$.
How are the PC games cheaper again? They took our used game market, but they didn't give us anything back. Do you really think that they will lower the price of the game just because you can't sell it later?

The same problem happened with the introduction of DLC's. People though "cool, now that they have new ways to get income from the same game, they will probably lower the price of the game to make it more accessible! I love the idea behind DLC's!!!"
But what happened? Take parts of the game and sell them separated, which in turn make the whole game more expensive. Parts that should be in the game in the first place are sold as DLC's most of the time.

Same will happen here. If they don't have to think about the used market, they won't have anyone to compete with. They will increase their prices and you will have no other choice but to buy it. Well, there is another choice, but people will not like it. Don't but the game.
In Europe PC and Wii games are cheaper than PS3 and 360 games.
Until this year, and it seems only Ubisoft, EA, and Bethsoft, are doing it. PC games have been between $39.99 USD, and $49.99 USD. Though, anno 2070 was $50 this year.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
About damn time they got their shit together and added some blu-ray support. Although... as much as it saddens me, I'll have even less reason to use my PS3. >.<

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
JPArbiter said:
I for one would welcome the anti used game system, if only to watch video games undergo a massive crash in the market.
A crash is needed. Games are getting too expensive and taking too long to develop. Publishers are getting very anti-consumer. Things need to change but they won't without something drastic happening.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Oh look, another console I might pick up second hand for a fraction of the release price....whoops guess MS don't get any money then either...Quick call the police!

If they did ever succeed in killing of the used games market...how are they planning on actually selling their games when most of the retailers go tits up?

Actually...how are they planning on selling their consoles to gamers when they kill off the primary outlets they use?

Christ knows I don't think I saw an actual store carrying the PSP go (that was the online/download only model, ya?) since y'know...no one makes any profit on the console, its all in the games and peripherals.