Rumor: Next Xbox Will Feature Blu-ray, Anti-Used Games System

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Bloody hell that "anti-used games" thing better not be true. The thing is, like a lot of the other pretty ominous rumours about the next Xbox, I can see it actually happening. If these all turn out to be true there's no way I'm going to buy the thing.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm....

Interesting rumors. Especially if they're true.

And six times as powerful as the 360? My, that's impressive! It's like we're in the far-flung future of 2009!

Wait...what's that? Could it be? Might I actually care about this new console gener...

Nope. Still don't give a damn. I own a 360 and a Wii. They are likely the very LAST consoles I ever buy. Console gaming literally offers me nothing I can't get on my PC. And what it does offer, I often don't care about.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Well, technically an anti-used game system already exists on the PC--but this just shows how stupid of an idea this is (if true). I bought "Skyrim" for the PC but had it connected to my account on Steam, so my brother can only play it while logged in on my account. He had to buy the same game, which is installed on the same machine, in order to play the game at his leisure.

I know these consoles are becoming more like PCs with every generation, but we don't need the *down-sides* of playing PC games being part of consoles. Please let this be just a rumor and not something to piss gamers off for X years...

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Iirc, didn't Microsoft lose money on each console sold, but earn money for each game sold (through the developer having to pay money to microsoft in order to develop for their console)? If so, Microsoft has just as much to lose on people buying used games instead of new games. In fact, if someone would theoretically only buy used games, and never buy a single new game, wouldn't microsoft directly lose cash? In those cases, it would actually be better for microsoft if you chose to not buy their console (if you ignore the whole idea of "everyone has an xbox, so i will buy one too", which is just way too unpredictable).

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
Might as well make it bloody download only if you're gonna make it "anti-used". If this is the case when the new one comes out, hopefully the general opposition of the public and meagre sales will mean they'll remove it.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
And Sony and Nintendo are cracking bottles of champagne if this turns out to be true. It must be fun seeing one of your rivals piss off and alienate their consumers.

Toeys

Mar 30, 2010
Microsoft sold the world the idea of paying for multiplayer, and alot of us bought it.

Apple managed to sell IPOD and IPHONE as if they were the very first to actually think of that kind of products.

Activision sell MAP PACKS(!!!!) for the price of 1/4 of what the full game cost in the first place.

Ubisoft, Electronic Arts and Activision all manage to sell a yearly updates of their biggest franchises for full price

So why not. Why not sell us another product that further limits our freedom to use them how we like? we will just buy it anyway like any other product thats flashy and fresh

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I don't get how these rumours work. I mean, what makes this guys unverified claims more important than any other unverified claims? How do you pick what to report on?

If I tell you I'm working on the next x-box and that it will initially only be available in hot pink, will you report on that?

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Anti-used game system?

If true, then why don't Microsoft just hire someone to throw cow-shit at you every time you enter a Gamestop?

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Six times more powerfull then a 360 ? Now thats great ! Now lets factor in that the 360 has had quite some time on the market and that you can get a PC with the same performance for just the same prize - No, this will not fly.

Built in DRM and Subscription based online through live ? Why not include a small claymore into the case that shreds you, your family and your pets at some random point during your playtime ?
I can't think of any other way to better market your way OUT of the console business.
The only reason I own a 360 next to my PC IS the used game market. I can get a cheap game from several years back and see if I get a kick out of it. Otherwise, just pop in a controler with the PC and voila - just the same experience. We even got some of those annoying 14 year olds yelling over their stupidity !

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
they could include a small burner that would tag new disks for your system id number only.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF it had some kind anti-used game 'protection' I wouldn't get the system, ever.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Igen said:
they could include a small burner that would tag new disks for your system id number only.
If your console RROD's, then it's a GIGANTIC 'fuck you'.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
And Sony and Nintendo are cracking bottles of champagne if this turns out to be true. It must be fun seeing one of your rivals piss off and alienate their consumers.
Pretty much this if it turns out to be true. Unless that new Xbox can also beam in hookers and blackjack to make up for the fact you can't play used games on it I highly doubt many people will want it. If it turns out to be true well I'm not buying the damn system and I always wanted to try out a Xbox system.

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
Wildly speculative is right. An anti-used game component? Huh.

On the other hand, I would love to have a blu-ray player packed inside my new Xbox.

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
I don't think this is true. They can't be that stupid... right? Remember the PSP Go? The PSP that was digital download only. Many retailers refused to stock it, and the system bombed pretty hard. Doing this is suicidal.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Igen said:
If your console RROD's, then it's a GIGANTIC 'fuck you'.
Yea... pretty much, hasnt stopped them before though.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Yeah, if this turns out to be true then Microsoft would really have shot themselves in the foot. Like others have stated before me: retailers would drop them faster then the U.S stocks dropped a few years back. That and retailers such as GameFly would lose much business and lose profits. Plus, if this turns out to be true then Sony and Nintendo would gain greatly from this and would eventually push Microsoft out of the console business. Congratulations Microsoft, if this rumor turns out to be true then you shall be remembered as a textbook example on how to kill your consumer support.