Rumor: Nintendo's Project Cafe to Cost $400

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Nintendo's Project Cafe to Cost $400

Sources are claiming specific new information on Project Cafe's price, tech specs, and controllers.

Rumors saying that Nintendo will be announcing a new console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109268-New-Nintendo-Console-Confirmed-for-E3] at E3 2011 are barely more than a week old, but alleged details on the system are already pouring in. The latest anonymous information on the device dubbed "Project Cafe" says that it'll start out at a price around $400 and won't necessarily stick with a single, primary controller type.

IGN reports that "sources with knowledge of the project" say Project Cafe will be priced at between $350 to $400 at launch. This would put it right up there with the Xbox 360 Pro's launch price of $399.99. The sources also say that the earliest possible launch would have to be sometime after mid-October 2011.

Further, IGN claims that Project Cafe will run on a "revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU (graphics processing unit) architecture," which will outperform the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, while it adds to previously reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109303-Rumored-Tech-Specs-Give-Wii-2-More-Power-Than-Xbox-360] rumors that the console will use a "custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset." The sources say Project Cafe will resemble a "modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System" in design, support a resolution of 1080p, potentially feature stereoscopic 3D support, and might be named "Stream."

Meanwhile, Kotaku reports that "industry sources" have confirmed information about Project Cafe's controllers. They don't reveal too much that's new, saying that Project Cafe will use a controller with a 6.2 inch touchscreen, two analog sticks, a camera, and 8 buttons. However, unlike most consoles that stick with a primary controller to play through most games, Project Cafe might use both the new controller and either Wii Remote or a new Wii Remote-style controller for motion gaming. Theoretically, it could use both controllers at the same time for new kinds of play experiences.

The controller could look something like these rumored concept designs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109445-Rumor-Concept-Designs-for-Nintendos-Project-Cafe-Surface] that also recently surfaced. As always, all of this information should be considered rumor and speculation.

Sources: Kotaku [http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html]

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I just hope they reveal what it looks like soon so it doesn't end up like the PSP Go did with billions of fake images of how it will look.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Nintendo. You have my attention.

Think of a big AAA title of a shooter or RPG or action game with the touchscreen integrated perfectly with the inventory system... I like the sound of it.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I recall Nintendo saying something about not launching their consoles at more than $250 back when the Wii was put on the market.

*shrugs*

Rumors are rumors. We'll see how things turn out.

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
Three hundred and ninty nine US dollars...Three hundred and ninty nine US dollars...Three hundred and ninty nine US dollars...sorry, had to.

In all seriousness, I really hope this one turns out better then the Wii overall. While the Wii did have some nice hidden gems, they were burried under some of the biggest piles of crap I've ever seen for any system.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
HankMan said:
New details on this new console just keep streaming in don't they?
You and your puns. Damn your puns. I'm seriously!

Well then, colour me intrigued. I'm not sure about the controller, though. Touchscreen? Why should we need that?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
no freaking way man, no thanks, i stayed away from the PS3 for the simple reason thats its too expensive, and this tops it.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Mettking said:
While the Wii did have some nice hidden gems, they were burried under some of the biggest piles of crap I've ever seen for any system.
Eh, no worse than the PS2 or the NES.

I suppose the biggest difference is that the gems on the Wii haven't gotten as much attention as they deserve.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
no freaking way man, no thanks, i stayed away from the PS3 for the simple reason thats its too expensive, and this tops it.
No, it does NOT top the ps3 price
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHqG1nc_tw[/youtube]

Absolute balderdash. As stated in the post, $399.99 was the launch price of the XBox 360 Pro. If I remember right, that turned out to be a fair and well performing price point.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
IGN reports that "sources with knowledge of the project" say Project Cafe will be priced at between $350 to $400 at launch. This would put it right up there with the Xbox 360 Pro's launch price of $399.99. The sources also say that the earliest possible launch would have to be someone after mid-October 2011.
Aye, the dreaded anthropomorphized days of the autumn months...

So yeah, $400 is reasonable for a new console. Far better than the $600-something price of the PS3 when it came out.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Mettking said:
Three hundred and ninty nine US dollars...Three hundred and ninty nine US dollars...Three hundred and ninty nine US dollars...sorry, had to.

In all seriousness, I really hope this one turns out better then the Wii overall. While the Wii did have some nice hidden gems, they were burried under some of the biggest piles of crap I've ever seen for any system.
I see the Wii's steaming pile of crap, and raise it the PS2's pile of steaming crap. People remember it fondly, but the PS2 had some serious crap...

OT: I don't think this is news particularly. I mean, from the looks of those details, they want to create a compromise between what was good about the Wii, and what the detractors claimed that it was missing. The controller is likely to be interchangeable with the 3DS, and considering the price ratio of the Wii to it's controllers, it was always going to be unlikely that those would just disappear. Although I will retract that statement if this machine isn't backwards compatible.

As for power, again, it needed the boost, but wait until the other two release consoles, to see if the gap between them has really changed...

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
There's far too much speculation about a console that hasn't even been officially announced yet. I think everyone needs to just chill out until E3. That is if the rumor that Nintendo will announce Project Cafe at E3 is anything more than rumor itself...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Mehall said:
CardinalPiggles said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHqG1nc_tw[/youtube]

Absolute balderdash. As stated in the post, $399.99 was the launch price of the XBox 360 Pro. If I remember right, that turned out to be a fair and well performing price point.
embed fail.

also, how much was the PS3 at release? i thought it was about 350 to 400...

oh wait im getting confused with dollars and pounds. nevermind it doesnt top it :)

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Mehall said:
CardinalPiggles said:

embed fail.

also, how much was the PS3 at release? i thought it was about 350 to 400...

oh wait im getting confused with dollars and pounds. nevermind it doesnt top it :)
To quote the meme, five hundred and ninety nine US dollars *que Price Is Right fail horns*.

US$399 would translate to about £250-£300 of Her Majesty's Pounds, depending on how kind the manufacturer is.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
If that is how the controller is going to go, they are going to be pricy. I wouldn't hold to much stock in these rumors though, some of it seems pretty dodgy.