Rumor: No Single-Player DLC Coming for Mass Effect: Andromeda

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Rumor: No Single-Player DLC Coming for Mass Effect: Andromeda

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1387/1387147.jpgRumor has it that the planned single-player DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda has been canceled for good.

Yesterday, a Facebook post made the rounds claiming that Bioware had cancelled Mass Effect: Andromeda's planned DLC. While that Facebook post turned out to be a hoax, sources are telling Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/sources-mass-effect-andromeda-will-not-get-single-pla-1796548159] the gist of the post was correct: Mass Effect: Andromeda will not be getting any single-player DLC.

This would be the first game in the series not to receive any single-player content post-launch. Some were good, like Lair of the Shadow Broker, and some were not so good, like Mass Effect 3's Citadel. Apparently the disappointing reviews and numerous problems the game has had have resulted in Bioware cutting some planned additions.

There were rumors back in May [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170332-Mass-Effect-Series-Put-on-Hold] that the series had been put on indefinite hold and Bioware employees transferred to new projects.

Today Kotaku says that it has confirmed with three separate sources that the news of cancelled single-player DLC is accurate. Bioware has still not commented on the issue, but we've reached out for comment.

If this news pans out, it will be a big disappointment for fans of the series. Of course, Bioware could still change its mind or make new plans. After all, the only constant in this industry is change.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Wait what? Citadel wasn't considered good? It was GREAT and my personal headcanon actual ending of the game :|

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
You must be trolling. Citadel is universally considered the best Mass Effect THING, period.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I assume the Citadel reference was a mistake.

As for the story: is it a story? Can something be "cancelled" when it might not have been planned? I don't recall ever hearing of plans for SP DLC, just the free MP support.

Regardless, it's a shame. I guess I'll have to wait for a sequel till I can bloody well drive/run around Meridian... Andromeda had some nifty worlds to explore, but the best was saved till last - and to not be able to actually explore that, post-credits, was a horrible [in a good way] tease.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
I'd love to get those ME3 DLCs on sale, but ever since they were available, they have not been. It probably has something to do with that silly Bioware point thing.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
Like I needed another reason not to buy that game...

I don't like to think about the endings too much. My headcanon ends along the lines of '...and after killing Tim, there was a big battle on and around Earth. Some stuff happens, the Reapers are dead, and Shepard might be.' Andromeda. Didn't. Happen.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yeah, Omega was pretty terrible, Citadel was hilarious and lot's of fun (and for a moment, the universe ran out ammunition).

This isn't exactly surprising, EA effectively killed the studio that made it and put the entire franchise 'on hold,' I wasn't holding my breath for any more story. Andromeda's story being pretty terrible didn't help either.

I would imagine EA's business strategy revolves around selling loot boxes through the in game store, like it was with 3.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Sure you don't mean Omega and not Citadel in that post about not so good DLC?
Zydrate said:
Wait what? Citadel wasn't considered good? It was GREAT and my personal headcanon actual ending of the game :|
TT Kairen said:
You must be trolling. Citadel is universally considered the best Mass Effect THING, period.
Darth Rosenberg said:
I assume the Citadel reference was a mistake.
Nope, he meant it. He has mentioned before how he doesn't care for The Citadel DLC in other posts about the game. I will let him explain if he so chooses, but he has his reasons.

Anyway, if this turns out to be true--if BioWare does just go, "Screw it, we're done", then 'pissed' doesn't even begin to describe my feelings. You don't tease the stuff you did in the end of the game and then not give us SOMETHING. I'm already ticked that I'm apparently not going to get the rest of this story period, but damn it, at least give me the DLC that the transmission hinted at.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I haven't played it and I doubt I ever will. That having been said, from what I've been told isn't the whole game designed to be filled in by DLC?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
You must be insane; Citadel was easily one of the best Mass Effect DLCs.

Yes, it was essentially a side story. But it had all the best parts of ME in it, wrapped up with some combat and plenty of humor.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I'm not bothered. I was actually happy when that damned thing ended and i could finally free up space on my hard drive, i don't want more of it..

mgs16925

Mar 28, 2008
Huh, I'd always assumed they had lots of story DLC planned. The story in the main game doesn't really get started until almost the end, I thought it got cut out to be sold back later.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
so the fact that this whole thing was debunked mean nothing because Kotaku says its "sources" say the just of it was correct? you know the guy famous for screwing up stories and making shit up...........seriously guys unless EA or Bioware states it as a fact this is just rumor and conjecture. so in other words, and i hate to say this for fear of backlash, fake news or non news.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Honestly happy about this, I may think the poor saps who bought the game at launch expecting anything other than a dumpster fire are idiots, but I'd rather have the game die off quietly in said dumpster than having it run around selling fake rolexes to said saps for a quick buck.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Holy manure this feels like Chef's death from South Park all over again.
Or like Aisha's actual death in Saints Row 2.
As in I thought "X" was already dead but now "X" is dead again.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Zydrate said:
I second this statement, as far as I'm concerned the worst everyone had to deal with after the Destroy ending wasn't figuring out how to bring the synthetics back to life, it was dealing with hangovers.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
I thought the Citadel DLC was amazing...but I gave it some thought now and ME:A is basically an 80 hour game with the tone of that DLC throughout entirely, and that is horrid.

The Citadel was likely so enjoyable for us because ME3 was trying to be such a serious, somewhat dark story as it tried to make Sheppard care that some stupid kid died because he was a stupid kid on a world that was burning. So when we finally got a piece of DLC that wasn't lore filled crap like the Leviathan DLC, we got something that was lighthearted and enjoyable compared to the "gritty realism of galactic warfare," and that was very welcome after spending a couple dozen hours brooding over the possible death of the galaxy to our literal space overlords.

I seriously doubt this news will be countered though. There's no future in this game, despite all the apparent roadwork bioware laid down. There won't be another arc, there won't be a new big bad, there won't be any answers to explain the second ancient race that happened to seed an entire galaxy with technology and literally created life, and we won't get to bang a krogan.