Rumor: No Single-Player DLC Coming for Mass Effect: Andromeda

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Didn't Andromeda leave a crap ton of cliffhangers meant to be resolved through DLC? The one I specifically remember was the Quarian ark.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
Didn't Andromeda leave a crap ton of cliffhangers meant to be resolved through DLC? The one I specifically remember was the Quarian ark.
There is an AI in the game that has been around for thousands of years, to the point it wants you to kill it when you find it, and you can bring it up to your ship and it does NOTHING. Serves no purpose at all beyond a single static conversation that affects nothing. It could, and should have answers to every single question a person could have, and in the game, it just sits next to your AI and does math stuff. This was the one thing I really wanted expanded on when I discovered it in the game, and it's so fucking pointless.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
DeadProxy said:
Bob_McMillan said:
There is an AI in the game that has been around for thousands of years, to the point it wants you to kill it when you find it, and you can bring it up to your ship and it does NOTHING. Serves no purpose at all beyond a single static conversation that affects nothing. It could, and should have answers to every single question a person could have, and in the game, it just sits next to your AI and does math stuff. This was the one thing I really wanted expanded on when I discovered it in the game, and it's so fucking pointless.
It's Andromeda, expecting something other than either fucking pointless, irrelevant, preachy, or "quirky for the sake of being quirky" is the road to insanity.

AngryPuppy

Feb 18, 2010
TT Kairen said:
You must be trolling. Citadel is universally considered the best Mass Effect THING, period.
Opinions... Not everyone considers it "the best" or even good. It was cringe worthy and boring, to me and many others.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Nope, he meant it. He has mentioned before how he doesn't care for The Citadel DLC in other posts about the game. I will let him explain if he so chooses, but he has his reasons.
All of them being wrong. He's batshit crazy if he thinks Citadel was a bad DLC. It's no Lair of the Shadow Broker, but its better then the other DLC by far.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
DeadProxy said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Actually, I'm going to bet they set up a ton of cliffhangers to be resolved through DLC and sequels. Along with a promise of "We're sorry Andromeda was a mess. If you just pre-order Andromeda 2, we so totally promise it'll be the game you wanted Andromeda to be and more! And if you aren't happy then, we're happy to accept Pre-orders for sequels 3, 4 and 5. We made KOTOR! You know we're awesome and can totally do this!"

Bindal

May 14, 2012
AngryPuppy said:
TT Kairen said:
You must be trolling. Citadel is universally considered the best Mass Effect THING, period.
Opinions... Not everyone considers it "the best" or even good. It was cringe worthy and boring, to me and many others.
This is a news article and in such a statement should be made based on the GENERAL opinion (if opinion about something is brought up) and not just the writers opinion. The latter is just bad journalism, as far as I am concerned.

And in general, Citadel was seen as one of the best DLCs of the franchise.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
You don't tease the stuff you did in the end of the game and then not give us SOMETHING. I'm already ticked that I'm apparently not going to get the rest of this story period, but damn it, at least give me the DLC that the transmission hinted at.
The quarian ark always felt like something the next game would deal with, not DLC. Also, I loved the idea of the arks, but unfortunately ME:A didn't exactly do much with them in terms of missions and gameplay.

Personally I found Meridian the biggest tease, and I was a little surprised you couldn't go out onto/into it after the credits. A whole new world would've been too much to ask, I suppose, but a fancy open vista with a cutscene or two wouldn't have gone amiss. They could've even staged the Epilogue sequence out there.

Xorph said:
Honestly happy about this, I may think the poor saps who bought the game at launch expecting anything other than a dumpster fire are idiots, but I'd rather have the game die off quietly in said dumpster than having it run around selling fake rolexes to said saps for a quick buck.
See, all art is subjective, I know, but I really don't understand some of the hyperbolic criticism. Yes, in terms of launch state it was a "dumpster fire". But I waited several months as, I think, five or six patches were rolled out; the game I played was pretty frikkin' great. Its biggest 'crimes' were unarguably poor facial animation (and that, as Totalbiscuit pointed out, wasn't actually 'teh worst evah', it was just kinda crap), and far less consistent writing than almost any other BioWare game.

And that's about it. Hardly Road To Hell territory...

DeadProxy said:
I thought the Citadel DLC was amazing...but I gave it some thought now and ME:A is basically an 80 hour game with the tone of that DLC throughout entirely, and that is horrid.
It is more light hearted, yes, but then again it's a more hopeful narrative, so doesn't that make sense? As bad as the situation is at the start of the game, it's not everyone stuck on a disastrous frontier dealing with starvation and killer climates; most people are still in cryo, as planned, and people and resources are rolled out as necessary. There is no grim, dour war or impending galactic genocide. ME:A's narrative is ultimately about building and nurturing the foothold of a new civilisation, and often the Pathfinder's duties pertain more to conflict resolution, or diplomacy (which is one of several reasons I feel ME:A's sci-fi is superior to anything in the trilogy; the player gets to 'boldly go' in a way the series has never done before. in the trilogy the galaxy and all it has to offer, bar the Reapers, is mostly old news to Shepard. in ME:A? the galaxy and all it has to offer is new to the lead as well as the player. there's a great synergy in that).

Also, a fair bit of the most goofy moments derive from player chosen dialogue responses, and so if you avoid the Casual/smartass (or whatever they're called) response across the game you'll avoid Ryder, at least, coming across so flippantly.

Being more hopeful in tone and gunning for more humour does mean the script can stumble into facepalm inducing cringe more often, sure; one flirt option with Suvi will forever stand out... Comedy is a very hard thing to do well, especially if your face tech isn't up to the challenge of depicting interplays well enough.

But I'd rather they try to mix things up, tonally, than just copy-paste what the trilogy did. I can excuse the odd glaring misstep, because personally I generally loved the tone of the game, particularly with a more empathetic, more hopeful Ryder as the POV for this specific story (I always saw Shepard as a slumped-between-two-stools failed character; never the writer's, nor the player's creation. by 3 the bias was a little more to the former, which was an improvement, but it was too little too late).

There's no future in this game, despite all the apparent roadwork bioware laid down. There won't be another arc, there won't be a new big bad, there won't be any answers to explain the second ancient race that happened to seed an entire galaxy with technology and literally created life, and we won't get to bang a krogan.
Given ME hasn't officially been 'cancelled', or 'killed', you don't have a lot of evidence to back that assessment up. I'd be incredibly surprised if this story isn't continued in a few years time. The reaction of teh internetz was hyperbolic, and often, I'd say, politically motivated by certain folk (the hapless morons who tried to sell this as 'Manveer Heir's game', for example).

If there won't be a continuation? Then that'll be a huge-- well, gaming tragedy, I suppose, for want of a better term. BioWare have absolutely no direct competition to what they create, and so for their sci-fi flavoured version of that to disappear would be a great shame (not to mention ME:A established a fantastic playground for some great stories).

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
talker said:
Like I needed another reason not to buy that game...

I don't like to think about the endings too much. My headcanon ends along the lines of '...and after killing Tim, there was a big battle on and around Earth. Some stuff happens, the Reapers are dead, and Shepard might be.' Andromeda. Didn't. Happen.
Andromeda was a fine game. I'd say it was better than Dragon Age 2.

+Large open worlds
-Filled with a lot of nothing with non-vital side quests that add very little to character growth or story. (DA:I had these, but you could just avoid the blatant completionist filler and still have a fun experience)
-Two desert planets
-If you romance crew members instead of a squad member, meaningful interactions feels sparse. You tend to romance additional characters to keep things interesting.

They had the opportunity to craft something new, and it feels like it falls short in certain areas. Would prefer if the enemy had more shades of grey.

Dec 10, 2012
MC1980 said:
TheVampwizimp said:
MC1980 said:
Citadel sucked. Shit story that used humour as a copout for being poorly thought out schlock, no real worthwile conflict/ideas/moral questions, choices being meaningless fluff, slobbering over 'characters' that amounted to 14 yo fanfic tier fanservice like the fucking house party and everyone circling around the drain known as their 1 derived character trait and nothing else. And everyone is super fucking quirky and off the cuff when they talk. Oh yeah, this was totally what ME was about.

People wonder how face is tired level writing was the norm for Andromeda, guess what, Citadel is the shit that started that trash, and it wasn't a whole lot better either. Literally, the only reason people didn't shit on Citadel, is because the people who would've complained were long gone since the main game was shit, so all that were left were superfans. Come MEA, they were back, and whoop-de-doo, suddenly it's pointed out en masse how the dialogue is embarrassing and the character's wit is as sharp as the underside of a hippo. Reap what you, sow I guess.

OT: Ho ho, good riddance. Shit game gets to die, justice is served.
Wow, your sig doesn't lie, you really ARE a cantankerous pillock :D

I'd bet that 29 out of 30 people would disagree with you and the original claim in the article. Opinions are opinions, you're allowed to hate what you hate, but it's certainly an unpopular stance, and as a purported news article this kind of assertion really doesn't belong. Citadel was great, most people loved it at least as much as Lair of the Shadow Broker, and saying otherwise is disingenuous.
Guy, if people liking something and therefore saying it's awesome was an actual barometer of quality, then a lot of things that are shit would be considered the greatest thing ever. So blindly saying 'Citadel was great' is the thing that is actually disingenuous, and 'most people' has the caveat that I already mentioned. (That being that it was DLC for a shite game where that detractors wouldn't have bought, aka the people who were more critical of the main game, aka the people who had a semblance of taste since ME3 was abject garbage.)

Atleast you figured out my gimmick.
Oh hello Pot, I've heard a lot about you. I'm Kettle, nice to meet you.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
AngryPuppy said:
TT Kairen said:
Yeah, I can agree with that sentiment. I honestly think I never finished Citadel. It was a long, "hey, guys, we're sorry about how fucking terrible the ending was, let's make it up to you by showing you all these characters you liked in other games." The party sequence had some amusing bits, but that's it. Most of it was so incomprehensibly stupid that... I have no words.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Starke said:
I have no words.
When you really think about it, Citadel makes ME3's ending much, much worse.

Observe: All your friends come together for a big party, there's good food, nice music, the Shepard Shuffle. Old bonds are renewed, old and new friends forge stronger bonds of friendship. Then Shepard goes off and dies. Suddenly, everyone (who were not a few hours past) that were drinking & making merry with Shepard, suddenly have to deal with their closest friend, mentor or even lover, no longer being by their sides. Emotionally, that is a bigger kick in the quad, than what would have been felt had there been no party.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Leviathen, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Kasumi's loyalty mission would like to say hello to you :p
I'll give you the last 2, but I personally really dislike Leviathan. Not so much because of its quality, but because it explains too much. It made the Reapers lose whatever mystery and intimidation-factor they had left by ME3.

In the first ME, the Reapers were initially set up as this unknowable and unfathomably powerful entity. Their origins were a mystery. Their motivations were a mystery. An ancient and alien force of destruction and terror, almost Lovecraftian. Of course, some of it got explained in the first game, but many questions still remained. Then the sequel came along and explained more. Then ME3 revealed yet more (ugh, Catalyst kid), until finally Leviathan put the final nail in the coffin, answering all the remaining important questions (didn't help that those answers were kind of dumb).

I might be in the minority, but I feel they shouldn't have given us the full picture. Some villains are better when they're not fully explained.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Chimpzy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Leviathen, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Kasumi's loyalty mission would like to say hello to you :p
I'll give you the last 2, but I personally really dislike Leviathan. Not so much because of its quality, but because it explains too much. It made the Reapers lose whatever mystery and intimidation-factor they had left by ME3.

In the first ME, the Reapers were initially set up as this unknowable and unfathomably powerful entity. Their origins were a mystery. Their motivations were a mystery. An ancient and alien force of destruction and terror, almost Lovecraftian. Of course, some of it got explained in the first game, but many questions still remained. Then the sequel came along and explained more. Then ME3 revealed yet more (ugh, Catalyst kid), until finally Leviathan put the final nail in the coffin, answering all the remaining important questions (didn't help that those answers were kind of dumb).

I might be in the minority, but I feel they shouldn't have given us the full picture. Some villains are better when they're not fully explained.
In my case of the Reapers I would not mind either they kept them a mystery or reveal who they were, and I thought Leviathans explination was pretty cool.

But everything else about Leviathan was awesome in terms of the things we do.

(Edited the post because it came off as way to contrarian.)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Chimpzy said:
In my case of the Reapers I would not mind either they kept them a mystery or reveal who they were, and I thought Leviathans explination was pretty cool.

But everything else about Leviathan was awesome in terms of the things we do.

(Edited the post because it came off as way to contrarian.)
yeah, I can understand wanting to know 'why? how?', but sometimes some questions are better left open, especially in horror and doubly so when you set up your big bads as some kind of robotic eldritch abominations, as ME1 initially did (granted, somewhat clumsily).

I really dislike Alien Covenant for the same reason. The Xenomorph is scary because it is a murdermachine with some serious rape-y overtones to it. It was even scarier when that was everything known about it. An organism perfectly suited to destroying humans in horrifically invasive ways and no one knows where it came from or why it does what it does. Covenant explained that, and now the Xenomorph has lost a part of its scare factor.

Likewise, I felt the Reapers were a scarier, more effective villain when they were still nigh-unstoppable robotic abominations that periodically murderbinge across the Galaxy for some horrifying purpose that is hinted to be beyond comprehension.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'm not a big fan of DLC as a concept, but some loose ends really need tying up (Quarian ark, anyone?). Hope this turns out to be nothing but a silly rumour.

Also, please don't put the franchise in the freezer, EA... just hand it back to the part of Bioware that's better at the RPG stuff and it'll be fine. Heck, even for all its flaws I genuinely enjoyed my time with Andromeda, and I'd really love to play more games about this crew or within this new galaxy.