Rumor: Robert Rodriguez Offered Deadpool Film

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Robert Rodriguez Offered Deadpool Film

If rumors in Hollywood are true, the man who directed Sin City might be helming the movie about Marvel's Merc With A Mouth.

Deadpool, like several other characters created by Rob Liefeld in the 90s, has managed to go from stupid and annoying to bizarre and awesome thanks to several talented writers and artists at Marvel Comics. His appearance in <a href=http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Origins-Wolverine-Two-Disc-Special/dp/B002CMLIJ6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276627929&sr=1-3>last year's Wolverine film was painful for some comic fans, but was popular enough for Fox to greenlight a movie based on the character. Now, based on rumors coming out of Hollywood, it looks like Robert Rodriguez might be the man to direct the picture.

According to /Film, "Robert Rodriguez has been distancing himself from The Weinstein Company, and starting to set up a new studio home at Fox. His last movie for the Weinsteins will likely end up being Spy Kids 4. He didn't direct Predators for Fox, but he was the prime mover on the project regardless, and the studio offered him the director's chair for the Planet of the Apes prequel, suggesting that Fox brass is happy with the work he's done so far. (Or happy to work with a known quantity; regardless, RR turned down the Apes job.)

"Now there's word that Rodriguez has been offered a job directing the Deadpool film, which Fox has been actively developing since X-Men Origins: Wolverine opened last year."

If Rodriguez does wind up directing the movie, this could be a home run that no one really expected. The script is being written by <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Zombieland-Jesse-Eisenberg/dp/B002WY65VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276628039&sr=1-1>Zombieland scribes Rhett Rheese and Paul Wernick (if you haven't seen that film, shame on you), which seems like the perfect team to capture Wade Wilson's psychotic-yet-endearing humor; the film's producer <a href=http://www.empireonline.com/features/future-of-x-men-franchise/3.asp>confirmed that the movie will not only be faithful to the Deadpool comics, but the character will be regularly breaking the fourth wall; and Ryan Reynolds seems like an actor who might be up to the task of playing the character as faithfully as possible. Though Rodriguez's kid-friendly movies tend to make me nauseous, the man is more than capable of directing great action films. From Dusk 'till Dawn, Desperado, and Sin City are all movies that I proudly own.

It may seem a little presumptuous to get one's hopes up for a movie that hasn't even left pre-production, but Marvel's last few movies have been more fun to watch than most other films I've seen in the theater. That said, it sounds like Deadpool could be a blast when it finally comes out.

Source:production Weekly via <a href=http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/14/robert-rodriguez-offered-directors-chair-for-deadpool/#ixzz0qwsYEeBF>/Film via <a href=http://io9.com/5563328/robert-rodriguez-offered-the-directing-duties-for-the-deadpool-movie>io9

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
At first, I saw Rico Rodriguez, and the amounts of awesome I imagined were too much for humans to comprehend. Oh snap! Now I've given it away...

I don't recognise him as a director, so I don't really feel disappointed, we'll just have to see what happens.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I wonder how the movie will handle the fact that when it comes to Deapool there is no fourth wall.

And please god don't say 3-D.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Whenever I hear the name "Robert Rodriguez", I get shivers down my spine. He is my favourite director. I have no idea what a deadpool is, but I'm sure he'll make a damn good movie out of it.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Deadpool is awesome, dispite being a rip off.

I think Reynolds did a good job playing the character, its not his fault the script was bad.

I have high hopes for this film.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Sturmdolch said:
Whenever I hear the name "Robert Rodriguez", I get shivers down my spine. He is my favourite director. I have no idea what a deadpool is, but I'm sure he'll make a damn good movie out of it.
You may want to go out and read some Deadpool comics before the comic fans around here string you up by your toes.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
This would be an excellent combination, and Ryan reynolds makes a perfectly good Deadpool.
Faithful to the comics and breaking the fourth wall to boot?
This is sounding sweeter everytime I hear about it.

Ninja Tank

May 19, 2009
i believe Robert Rodriguez will make a great deadpool movie only cause what has to be done can be done by him. sin city is the best prove of that

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, this could be promising! I'll be watching this space for sure! He did sin well, I know he can do this too!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Deadpool is a role model to us all.
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq84/DurrHurr/characters/deadpool.jpg

This movie falls squarely into "they'd better not screw this up" territory, especially after the failure that was his his role in the Wolverine movie (pre-experimentation Wilson was cool, but there simply wasn't enough of him, and post-experimentation Deadpool was just plain lame). Well, at least it looks like they've got all the ingredients for massive winnage, so I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up.

I kinda feel like doing a big Deadpool image-dump, but I doubt that would be very much appreciated here...

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
I was going to use that graphic, but I liked the wonderbra one better.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Rodriguez is the perfect man for the job. If anyone can make a faithful Deadpool movie, it's him.

Just think Desperado (brilliant flick) with a ton of puns. How awesome is that?!