Rumor: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Canceled, GSC Game World Closed - UPDATED

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
It has pretty much been confirmed, even concept art has been leaked by an angry and depressed ex-member of the team. (Ex as of today.) Apparently they were all called into a room and told they didn't have a job, their last pay check and day was on Monday.

Also, to anyone who says it's only a rumour? They community for the game has essentially confirmed it on his personal twitter.

Also, here is the concept art, it's kind of amazing and it makes me teary eyed that such an amazing series is crushed, possibly just due to the creators displeasure:

http://blog.ascian.me/2011/12/leaked-screenshots-concept-art-and.html

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
TestECull said:
JesterRaiin said:
TestECull said:
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:
>An ugly rumor coming out of Ukraine claims that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is canceled and developer GSC Game World has been closed down.
Oh fffff... :|

Setting of "The Zone" is practically virgin territory bloming with possibilites, uniqueness and freshness. It should be a magnet for gaming industry... Why it isn't used more often is beyond my comprehension.
You can't set a deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag/CP assault multiplayer game there. The Zone just isn't set up for that, it's too ripe for exploration.
Why ? It's just a matter of creativity.
Creativity and multiplayer FPS do not go together unless you work for Gabe Newell. Even then, you still end up with pretty much the same game everyone else has, only cel shaded and full of hats.

There's a good reason multiplayer shooters all play the same and are all set on brown industrial estates and/or battlefields. Less dev time, less creativity needed, less money needed, all means more profit. Thought and creativity cost more than stamping the same old tired die again.
With that i can't and i won't argue sir. :)

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
vsove said:
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
What the hell is wrong with you people??
STALKER is a shit game. A boring shit game.
Have you not played Fallout 3 or something??
We did. And STALKER does post apocalyptic in a way that Fallout could only hope to emulate.

Not that it wasn't a good game in its own right, but comparing the atmosphere between the two is just absurd.
You have to be joking.
STALKER is one of the most boring, empty, repetitive games I have ever played.
Fallout 3 on the other hand has an immersive, vibrant, original post apocalyptic landscape that lets you choose your own fate in a wide variety of ways. Not to mention its far less obnoxious title.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Still some hope (use google translate): http://vkontakte.ru/wall-24979668_22 and http://blogs.stopgame.ru/topic/27202/

Really wouldn't make any sense to close down now considering how they were recruiting very recently and a focus on merchandise.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
This game taught me that vodka fights radiation. Now I'm always safe from fallouts.

SIGH.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Segal's blog [http://galyonkin.com/2011/12/09/pro-zakryitie-gsc] is by far the best source of information on this so far. He even translated his entry on GSC to English. Known as Sergey Galyonkin in real life, he is one of the most reputable game media persons in Ukraine and Russia. He has good contacts and can be trusted.

namewon said:

I hate this feel,man.
Very nice.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
You have to be joking.
Fallout 3 is one of the most boring, empty, repetitive games I have ever played.
STALKER on the other hand has an immersive, vibrant, original post apocalyptic landscape that lets you choose your own fate in a wide variety of ways. Not to mention its far less obnoxious title.
There, fixed it for you. I would bite otherwise but there are more important things at hand.

At this point it's still not clear if it's a PR stunt or the real deal. Marketing can take many forms and if anything this information has indeed stirred up quite a storm among STALKER enthusiasts.

Assuming this is real the question is why. Grigorovich claims it's a personal decision without giving details. Obviously there's more to it - he was very passionate about STALKER. His decision not to sell the franchise means he still is.

Financial reasons aren't the answer as the decision to close came as a surprise to everybody in the studio, if the anonymous posters from Kiev are to be believed. Besides GSC was very confident about having the funds. They threw money left and right on various stalker-related projects like a film, TV series, action figures, LARP games, contests, extensive PR. Burning money like that is not what one expects from a company low on funds, not at all.

Publishers and their console-oriented demands could be to blame. STALKER was a PC game through and through. I expect that at some point during negotiations someone demanded that S2 should essentially be "modernized" and "enhanced" to Call of Duty in Chernobyl. Grigorovich considers STALKER his life achievement with a huge emotional investment - a rare thing in the western console-oriented profit-centric gamedev world. So when the publisher asked G to gut Stalker for it's IP and brand recognition turning it into something it isn't they could as well ask G to fuck his mother. S2 was one of the few precious gems with an initial PC version that would later get ported - the other I can think of being Witcher 2. But again, regardless of all that GSC was never hell-bent on releasing a console port. The inferior outdated hardware of X-box would be a severely limiting factor in the development of a PC version.

Then there are rumours of government involvement and possible tax evasion. While this may sound like a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theory to those unfamiliar with Eastern European culture I wouldn't dismiss it.

Your thoughts?

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
Interesting tidbit

Here's more update from the Ukrainian bro who organized the supportive flash-mob and visited GSC today.

1) The rumors about GSC's immediate closure and Stalker 2 being already put on ice are NOT correct.

2) It's true however that GSC does have troubles with the development of Stalker 2. According to my intel, it's mostly caused by a lack of human resources. Money, USS, mafia and mutants were not brought up as problems during his meeting with GSC.

3) Negotiations are going on to tackle the problems. The final decision about the future of GSC (and Stalker 2) might be known in a week.
It would be a tragedy if Stalker would not be released. GSC's Stalker is video gaming's equivalent of Tarkovsky's movie of the same name, or at least as close as we'll ever get. Not to be a pessimist but for everyone who's been following the games industry and the steady downward slope of gaming it's pretty clear that if GSC doesn't make it now, we'll never see a game quite like this ever again.

Here's some music to set the mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7CTgHlowE&feature=related

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
It appears this is not a publicity stunt after all.

A google translation from gsc-fan.com follows:

Author: Ilya "YozeF" Markelov, correspondent GSC-Fan.Com

On Friday, December 9, gaming community information shocked - the largest developer of games in the CIS, GSC Game World, self-liquidating. Reliable information that, as well as denials, and not at the moment. The news immediately caused a strong reaction among fans of games from the studio, someone said it was the end of everything, someone just did not believe, but someone talked over the possibility that this news is just a PR-literate way. Many once had an idea (which obviously originated on the basis of the political situation in Russia) - all to protest the building of the office. In fact, such a procession of disaffected could bring benefits - Sergei Grigorovich can do with his company that he wants. In the end it was decided to organize a rally to support GSC, which was a peaceful gathering of concerned fans under the walls of the office, to raise the morale of the team disbanded possible, and to receive the promised data on the situation.

I have to say, everything was organized very quickly, in just a half day. Organization engaged in by two people - Denis Polishchuk (which for some reason unable to attend the shares) and, in fact, I am. Sketched out a plan of action, we set about creating an event in VKontakte, then it was necessary to convey information about it. My first thought - "YaStalker." But advertising there could not bring specific results, therefore, appealed to the fan site of the company - GSC-Fan.Com. From the first minute of placing information on the portal in the group fell messages and new subscribers. As was pointed out me, most of the fans were from Russia, many people simply do not physically able to support us with their presence.

All complicated by the fact that the event was held on Monday morning - in many studies, work, service, etc. (even though the military have supported us:)).

Many share in the perceived hostility, it was a lot of messages like "ololo, shkolota angry," etc. In fact, the so-called shkolota was not there, came mostly students, old friends, for whom "pomitingovat" at the office was one more reason to meet. From history to go by the events of the action. Make an appointment with Yevtushenko, Ivan aka White_Nizarit to meet at the subway station platform Beresteyskaya, I hit the road, since I live close by. After meeting there, we and several friends went to the office, of course, on foot (where the same stalkers use public transport, there controllers!). On the way to discuss different topics, from a multiplayer game, "Clear Sky", "Call of Pripyat" and Call of Duty to airsoft and STALKER RealPlayer. When they reached the intended point (bus stop right under the entrance to the office), we comfortably and continued communication. Literally we came two more fans STALKER, with an official forum of GSC, the second simply decided to join. From the very beginning of the action I was a correspondence with Oleg Yavorsky, he was interested in, how many us, and gave recommendations do not miss the bus Grigorovich, who was planning to visit soon, etc. Perhaps the most memorable moment was the following SMS: "Trust and gives hope to others that the project will live on. Internet - our weapons."

Then we moved up to Andrei "AnarH" Skrypnyk - the organizer of many championships in STALKER, and after a couple of minutes the soldier unknown to me, was very pleasant and intelligent man. Deciding that standing on the street and wait for someone else does not make sense (the clock is already 10:20), we went into the building - there with the April 2011 nothing has changed, still warm, cozy and smells good. They stood a little below, near the restaurant "Le Figaro", were photographed with a sign GSC (yes, she's still there!) And climbed to the fourth floor. In the office itself, we did not go (do not let there be a dozen people, plus there was no need as such - if something clearer, we will inform Oleg). All the time here and there flashed employees, if my memory serves me, it was mainly because of their clothes. Then came Alexander Plichko, greeted all ... And he ran away. In general, we whiled away the time socializing. After a couple of minutes called Oleg, said that comment today will be nothing but happy to come say hello to all of us.

A few minutes later, as promised, we were visited by Oleg Yavorsky and Ruslan Didenko. All at once pounced with questions - "What's next?"

Sadly, the answers were short and simple - yet without comment, to say all Grigorovich at the time. Of these, we were able to pull is not very much information, but watching their reaction, it was possible to understand many things. For example - all that happens is not a PR-action. The mood among the staff is really bad, so to speak. Yavorsky, I usually see in a cheerful mood. Employees doing their best to do everything that the company has not closed, such an outcome no one wants. Many were interested in support and maintenance of the company's server - it will continue, that is, resources such as "YaStalker" or game servers for online play will run. Stalker-Shop store will work as long as end products.

To the question "What are the reasons?" - Response from Ruslan and Oleg little different (I want to add that he spoke mostly Oleg). Ruslan said that it was known only to himself Grigorovich, Oleg same again replied - "Top Secret". In short, the information in the course of conversation, we were really little, but also at least something. By the way, the answers Oleg AnarH oharakteriziroval as "News, Channel 5" - this is their style: say something, and then answer in one sentence - no comments.

In the end, everything went very well, Oleg suggested that hope for the best. At the end, we have continued to pay out as usual jokes, and went downstairs. They all had their own affairs.

When we were in the street, we began to share experiences and discuss the situation. I was very memorable phrases soldier, whose name I unfortunately do not know.

At this event actually ended.

Attention! Further there are only reflections of the author of the article! They have no relation to official information from the GSC, and built only on hunches, observations and conclusions of the author. Anyone can take them into account, and can be considered complete nonsense.

The soldier is really very well-reasoned and logical. Next, I'll just give him and his reasoning:

A) The rumors about the alleged pressure on the company security forces are groundless. If you think about - what structures are in Ukraine? SBU (Security Service of Ukraine) makes no sense to run into Grigorovich and the company, they are not to find fault. Have something to say about the involvement of Grigorovich to politics and the attitude towards the accused Tymoshenko and ex-presidents Yushchenko and Kuchma, which in itself is absurd. All intellectual property protected by the company's values ​​(which I 100% sure), so this side is also not prikopat.

We also have AIM (aka police). They are, in principle, also did the company do not. Perhaps someone involved in criminal cases, which also seems nonsense (I'm sure that none of the staff to unlawful acts is not involved) about corruption in the I can not speak.

This is the only law enforcement agencies, which may put pressure on the GSC.

B) The second opinion of the people - the marriage of money. Personally, I can not judge the financial situation of the company, but any reasonable person would understand that the likelihood of financial problems is extremely low. GSC has a fixed income from the sale of related products. This is unlikely. Many now try to say about the post by Dmitry Yasneva in FaceBook on investors, but about that later.

B) on this version, I think most of all, turning over in my mind I knew all employees - conflict in the team. Indeed, if we think - to close the company because of a trifle silly, but if, for example, differences occurred in the top of the company (say, Grigorovich's not like any of the wards), it would produce a turbulent discontent of the Trust and defending their point of view. The conflict could be a long time, but not so strong. As they say, December 9, was the presentation of STALKER 2 inside the company. Maybe that's when the conflict reached a boiling point, and someone could not stand it, that might well not like Grigorovich and the other part of the team. Because of this, Sergei could terminate funding for the project STALKER 2, thus "closing up shop." What prevents him based on GSC create a new company with new people and take up the same "Cossacks"? That's right - nothing. Hence the problem comes up with investors.

It is a pity that I can not give you all the arguments of the military - just not all fit in my head.

I repeat: all of the above - just my guess, and thoughts. They can be partly confirmed by an official statement from the GSC, and may not be true, but do not share them I could not. Talk about moving companies are not unfounded. According to developers, they passed the E-Sports team Na'Vi only part of an unoccupied room.

Another important observation. The official twitter "STALKER GSC" is a South African boy who physically can not provide reliable information, and rely on him as a true source is not recommended.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
very sad to hear this.. stalker series have been some of the best games to come to the pc platform in years in my opinion, and even the news that it was going multi platform didn't deter me from stalker 2 like it does with so many games these days.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Looks like the Skies aren't so clear anymore.
Indeed, there is obviously a big shadow cast upon this chernobyl tale!
So Pripyat will not longer call us back to her empty, haunting ruins...

This is a most disappointing development, but they aren't the first and they won't be the last unfortunately.