Rumor: Sony Japan May Force Studio to Relinquish Spider-Man Control

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
IamLEAM1983 said:
Oh, God. Please let this be true. Please. Please, please, please with fucking genetically modified cherries on top. SPE can't handle superhero movies to save its life.
XD I could not put that any better than you just did.

Honestly, I'd rather see Spider-Man go into hiatus until the stink of the two Amazing Spider-Man movies clears the room. The last thing Marvel/Disney should do is tie the MCU to such an abomination of a rebooted film series. I'd also rather have the IP rights go directly back to Marvel/Disney, give Sony some money for their trouble, and have Sony of Japan force the idiots responsible for killing the franchise to commit seppuku.

Whether this rumor turns out to be true or not, I just want the Spider-Man series to get back to the good spectrum of comic book movies. As to what I mean, here is a visual aid from artist Phil M Jackson aka Jolly Jack.

http://jollyjack.deviantart.com/art/The-Contrasting-Quality-of-Super-Hero-Movies-487009567

Sad thing about that piece is that it is not far off from the truth.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
This would be good. Spiderman was never really my cup of tea but i did enjoy the 90's cartoons. The first 3 spiderman films were already but by the 3rd i hated it. When you had better super hero films out also. And these days its just sad. Marval has plans for their plans it seems so like somone said above they prob have a "break glass in case of spiderman".

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
We get it. You hate the Amazing Spider-Man movies, Bob. But cluttering up the news page with baseless rumors not only embarrasses you, but the Escapist as well.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
totheendofsin said:
Isn't Latino Review the site that basically just throws crap at the wall and hope it sticks?
It's a site that does that. Don't know about the site. But then, I don't think this is anything but more wishful thinking.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
We get it. You hate the Amazing Spider-Man movies, Bob. But cluttering up the news page with baseless rumors not only embarrasses you, but the Escapist as well.
I doubt many people will remember or care, even if these rumours are still popping up after Sony's 50th reboot of ASM lands. Most of the attention these articles get are from people with a serious hate for the movies who will jump whole hog on them.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I doubt many people will remember or care, even if these rumours are still popping up after Sony's 50th reboot of ASM lands. Most of the attention these articles get are from people with a serious hate for the movies who will jump whole hog on them.
I fully expected this to be a MovieBob post, but I was not expecting him to use the same source Sony laughed at the last time. That actually makes this kind of funny.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I fully expected this to be a MovieBob post, but I was not expecting him to use the same source Sony laughed at the last time. That actually makes this kind of funny.
My point would be that you're not the typical person posting on one of these threads. And as the comments continue, I fully expect the ratio to get worse, because all logic seems to go out the window when you personally hate something like people hate Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
MovieBob said:
a move which many industry analysts have long believed is the only hope of salvaging the series.
Oh for craps...you are not an analyst, stop referring to yourself as such.

Yeah, you're really scraing the barrel of credibility at this point if you have tio take something by the people who were just caught making up tha Aunt May thing and claiming is reputable.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
TippiestRook said:
Garfield says he blamed Sony for some of the movies faults but he never said he didn't like them.
Yeah, people agreed that the second one was flawed cause they were cramming too much foreshadowing and setup into it. That doesn't make something "WORST MOVIE EVAR".

fix-the-spade said:
Well, if Marvel gets it, they'll find a way to get Spidey into the next Marvel film, even if it's just a stinger.

My Ultimate stinger?

Tobey Maguire sat on the edge of a high rise eating a burrito, as he sits and eats, Spiderman comes swinging in from a higher sky scraper and face plants along the flat roof behind him. Tobey calmly gets up and, finishing his burrito, wanders over and pulls the mask off to reveal a breathless, scrawny black kid staring up at him.

Boy... do we have a lot to talk about kid...

And then the internet melts down.
He will then break down openly weeping, because that is the only goddamn thing that Maguires Spider-Man is capable of.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Mr. Q said:

Sad thing about that piece is that it is not far off from the truth.
Indeed. If anything, Spidey joining Marvel's fold might necessitate a few tweaks - but it wouldn't be as continuity-redefining as, say, Fox selling its rights to the X-Men back to Marvel Studios. Not that it's going to happen, though.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
Well, if Marvel gets it, they'll find a way to get Spidey into the next Marvel film, even if it's just a stinger.

My Ultimate stinger?

Tobey Maguire sat on the edge of a high rise eating a burrito, as he sits and eats, Spiderman comes swinging in from a higher sky scraper and face plants along the flat roof behind him. Tobey calmly gets up and, finishing his burrito, wanders over and pulls the mask off to reveal a breathless, scrawny black kid staring up at him.

Boy... do we have a lot to talk about kid...

And then the internet melts down.
That actually wouldn't be a bad way to go. Retroactively add the Raimi trilogy to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Though it would beg the question of why did no one mention any of this before Iron Man? Honestly though I think Miles Morales is the only way for people to show an interest in the web head again. Also since they've apparently sworn off full blown origin stories now they'd have to find a way to get him in there without doing it which I've thought of a way and it includes the ever marketable Venom. Basically go the way that the new Batman is going. He's been around for a bit but staying quite and in the shadows and never making much of a public appearance making him kind of like an urban legend. Then Venom comes along and tries to frame Spidey for a crime. J. Jonah Jameson then gets to have his media crusade. In Act 3 Spidey fights Venom and it becomes a very public brawl. Venom is ousted as the real culprit and Spidey gets to be praised like the rest of The Avengers. Cue stinger with Nick Fury coming in and saying something like "I know a team that could use your help."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Toadfish1 said:
He will then break down openly weeping, because that is the only goddamn thing that Maguires Spider-Man is capable of.
Apparently, though, that's what people like about Spider-Man, since Mopey is held up as the gold standard.
IamLEAM1983 said:
Indeed. If anything, Spidey joining Marvel's fold might necessitate a few tweaks - but it wouldn't be as continuity-redefining as, say, Fox selling its rights to the X-Men back to Marvel Studios. Not that it's going to happen, though.
I'm not sure X-Men joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be any worse continuity-wise than the individual movies where parts of DC or wherever Tony lives are destroyed and nobody else even bats an eyelash.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Zachary Amaranth said:
Toadfish1 said:
Apparently, though, that's what people like about Spider-Man, since Mopey is held up as the gold standard.
The sad thing is, being mopey all the time is a complete betrayal of the character. The actual Spider-Man has crappy things happen to him all the time but doesn't let it get to him and soldiers on despite that because he has a responsibility to the world. Sure, sometimes it gets too much and he breaks down for bit, but that's true of any superhero. Being a perpetual mope is about as far from Spider-Man's character as you can get. The fact that they avoid doing this is why (among other things) I greatly prefer the ASM movies over the Sam Raimi ones.

Zachary Amaranth said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
My point would be that you're not the typical person posting on one of these threads. And as the comments continue, I fully expect the ratio to get worse, because all logic seems to go out the window when you personally hate something like people hate Amazing Spider-Man movies.
Yes. It's actually kind of bizarre just how much hate these ASM movies are getting around here, and for reasons that are either petty or outright false. Most of the time it seems more like a bunch of people that never even watched the movies at all or weren't paying any attention whatsoever if they did are the ones hating on it than anything else with how false their criticism tends to be.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'd love to see all the prodigal franchises make it back to Marvel, because I do enjoy the MCU and would love to see it "whole" on the big screen.
I'm really not sure I would. One of the main problems with both Marvel and DC comics is that there are just too many characters, too many storylines, and too much stuff going on all the time. It's why they're constantly having big reboots and crossovers to reset things and try to bring some semblance of consistency to it all. Part of the reason the films have done so well is precisely because they ignore all that and focus on just a few characters and a few stories. Even just the small number of new characters we know we're getting is almost certainly going to mean some of the established ones either taking a back seat or being removed entirely. Trying to cram everyone plus the kitchen sink into the MCU would just result in an unholy mess, not the geek utopia people seem to imagine.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
immortalfrieza said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Toadfish1 said:
The sad thing is, being mopey all the time is a complete betrayal of the character. The actual Spider-Man has crappy things happen to him all the time but doesn't let it get to him and soldiers on despite that because he has a responsibility to the world. Sure, sometimes it gets too much and he breaks down for bit, but that's true of any superhero. Being a perpetual mope is about as far from Spider-Man's character as you can get. The fact that they avoid doing this is why (among other things) I greatly prefer the ASM movies over the Sam Raimi ones.
Yeah, he deals with shi by being a smartass who is constantly cracking jokes. Garfield got that perfectly, yet somehow, HE'S the one who is doing the character gritty, not the one who is constantly bitching about how much he hates being Spider-Man.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
I'm not sure X-Men joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be any worse continuity-wise than the individual movies where parts of DC or wherever Tony lives are destroyed and nobody else even bats an eyelash.
"Hmm, a giant helicarrier that will start killing millions of people is about to launch. I need to call my dearest friend and ally in the world, Guy I Just Met Three Days Ago Who Jogged With Me. Only HE can be trusted and could help me"

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
I need to call my dearest friend and ally in the world, Guy I Just Met Three Days Ago Who Jogged With Me. Only HE can be trusted and could help me"
In Caps defence, he knew he was a veteran, who helped other veterans. And "something" like a paratrooper, which let to the assumption of covered ops unit.
With Cap being an old timer, he trusts fellow soldiers (if his gut says OK).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
Being a perpetual mope really isn't his character. At least, not externally, where Tobey's acting would most be a factor. Peter doesn't spend his whole life looking and sounding like someone just kicked his puppy, and while his internal monologue can be whiny, his costumed alter-ego tends to be even less brought down.

Peter does have externally heavy moments, but Spider-Tobey was pretty much that way the entire trilogy, including while raindrops were falling on his head.

Most of the time it seems more like a bunch of people that never even watched the movies at all or weren't paying any attention whatsoever if they did are the ones hating on it than anything else with how false their criticism tends to be.
I just think it's people in love with the original trilogy. It's Tennant Syndrome, where the old guard leaves and everyone looks for a reason to complain about the new guy. See also: Matt Smith ruined the Doctor! The Doctor would never carry a gun! [http://deathstarpr.com/2011/05/the-doctor-is-the-worst-pacifist-ever/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Toadfish1 said:
"Hmm, a giant helicarrier that will start killing millions of people is about to launch. I need to call my dearest friend and ally in the world, Guy I Just Met Three Days Ago Who Jogged With Me. Only HE can be trusted and could help me"
K.ur said:
In Caps defence, he knew he was a veteran, who helped other veterans. And "something" like a paratrooper, which let to the assumption of covered ops unit.
I think the point here is in the context. That, while the government's trying to kill him for things he didn't do, he trusted random soldier guy and only random soldier guy to get his (and Natasha's) back. Not the people who had actually had his back and could deal with large scale threats, but guy with wing suit. Which, admittedly probably wouldn't look so bad, save the narrow margin by which this all came together.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
K.ur said:
Toadfish1 said:
I need to call my dearest friend and ally in the world, Guy I Just Met Three Days Ago Who Jogged With Me. Only HE can be trusted and could help me"
Yup. A veteran helping other veterans, and very likely wasn't a part of SHIELD, therefore likely not part of HYDRA. Plus Cap only asked for a place to stay for a bit. It was Falcon that volunteered to help. It wasn't like Rogers asked Wilson to come take part in a huge aerial battle over DC because they're BFFs.