Rumor: Sony Japan May Force Studio to Relinquish Spider-Man Control

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't know... I like the idea of Spiderman being a part of the Avengers movies (I would even accept if they chose to cast Garfield for it), but I don't think we need yet another origin of Spiderman movie, and it is not like they can do a better job than the first movie of Raimi. Just let it slide and accept that the character is around. It is not like the people that see those movies don't know who that guy dressed in blue and red is...

Then again, this is LR, so it is akin to an "what if" argument. Their credibility is about as good as an April's fool joke, in December.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Won't get my hopes up...
... But, yeah, I'd be thrilled to see Spider-man back where he belongs.

C'mon, Sony. Do the right thing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Fantastic, I just hope my faith in Marvel's work due to their clearly successful efforts so far is warranted and translates well into Spiderman's world.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
KazeAizen said:
fix-the-spade said:
Well, if Marvel gets it, they'll find a way to get Spidey into the next Marvel film, even if it's just a stinger.

My Ultimate stinger?

Tobey Maguire sat on the edge of a high rise eating a burrito, as he sits and eats, Spiderman comes swinging in from a higher sky scraper and face plants along the flat roof behind him. Tobey calmly gets up and, finishing his burrito, wanders over and pulls the mask off to reveal a breathless, scrawny black kid staring up at him.

Boy... do we have a lot to talk about kid...

And then the internet melts down.
That actually wouldn't be a bad way to go. Retroactively add the Raimi trilogy to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Though it would beg the question of why did no one mention any of this before Iron Man? Honestly though I think Miles Morales is the only way for people to show an interest in the web head again. Also since they've apparently sworn off full blown origin stories now they'd have to find a way to get him in there without doing it which I've thought of a way and it includes the ever marketable Venom. Basically go the way that the new Batman is going. He's been around for a bit but staying quite and in the shadows and never making much of a public appearance making him kind of like an urban legend. Then Venom comes along and tries to frame Spidey for a crime. J. Jonah Jameson then gets to have his media crusade. In Act 3 Spidey fights Venom and it becomes a very public brawl. Venom is ousted as the real culprit and Spidey gets to be praised like the rest of The Avengers. Cue stinger with Nick Fury coming in and saying something like "I know a team that could use your help."
I would do that Tanaleer Tivan thing if something akin to this happened, "Beautiful."

MCU could try to go around not talking about Spidey by doing the 'I thought he was just an urban legend' thing. Perhaps create an amalgam of tobey and garfield. Replace MJ from the original trilogy with Gwen Stacey from amazing. Gwen died during the Green Goblin attack on the bridge in the first film and Doc Oc kidnapped Aunt May in the second film instead of MJ. Peter went into semi retirement and faded into urban legend but the alien invasion and ultron incident shows him the world still needs heroes even more than before.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Coruptin said:
I thought he was just an urban legend
Wouldn't work with the Spidies we have. Both have major publicity even in their first movies.
Batman can do that because he works mostly at night and stays away from public. But both Spideys patrol at day (swing between cars, my favorite scenes) and appear, sometimes live, in the media. Or do you think someone would say urban legend about someone they have one national news tape?
Now doing the same with retirement would work great. Think old Spider. Getting a middleaged Dr. Parker would be new and a great distance to the Sony movies.
But there is actually an origin-movie so outlandish, i didn't hear anyone talk about that option.

One name: Madame Web!

With an upcoming Dr. Strange feature, Marvel could have s stinger with Madame Web consulting with the Sorcerer Supreme about the next avatar of Anansi. A wakandan spider god of wisdom and culture, which could be bound into the Black Panther movie.

Captcha: let go

NO YOU TOASTER, i will have my wakandan Miles Morales.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
IamLEAM1983 said:
Mr. Q said:

Sad thing about that piece is that it is not far off from the truth.
Indeed. If anything, Spidey joining Marvel's fold might necessitate a few tweaks - but it wouldn't be as continuity-redefining as, say, Fox selling its rights to the X-Men back to Marvel Studios. Not that it's going to happen, though.
Well, Fox still has some gas in the X-Men tank but it depends on how Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypses pan out. As for the 2015 Fantastic Four reboot... Yeah, this is one iceberg I wish both sides would get their shit together and make sure this hot mess doesn't reach theaters.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Spaceman Spiff said:
K.ur said:
Toadfish1 said:
I need to call my dearest friend and ally in the world, Guy I Just Met Three Days Ago Who Jogged With Me. Only HE can be trusted and could help me"
In Caps defence, he knew he was a veteran, who helped other veterans. And "something" like a paratrooper, which let to the assumption of covered ops unit.
With Cap being an old timer, he trusts fellow soldiers (if his gut says OK).
Yup. A veteran helping other veterans, and very likely wasn't a part of SHIELD, therefore likely not part of HYDRA. Plus Cap only asked for a place to stay for a bit. It was Falcon that volunteered to help. It wasn't like Rogers asked Wilson to come take part in a huge aerial battle over DC because they're BFFs.
Yes, because with Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor, you never know, Hydra totally could have recruited those guys.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
If this happens in time for The Avengers reshoots, I hope they add a mid credit scene where Cap invites Miles to join the New Avengers.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
While I am pretty much against frequent reboots if this happens I really think they should just reboot Spiderman for incorporation into the MCU. The Amazing Spiderman films have already screwed so much up (even if you accept that Norman Osborn may be set to make a reappearance) that they should start over.

Also am I the only one who read this and immediately thought "So we are gonna get a Dark Avengers storyline after all"?