Rumor: Sony to Launch 3D PS3s in 2010

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Until they announce something, I will stand over here and poke my nose.

Rumors are nothing but just that, rumors

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
About time 3D TV's hit the market i've seen alot about them and can't wait to get my hands on them, shame you will have to wear funny glasses

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Wait wasn't there already a 3D gaming thing that came out a year or two ago? For the PC I think it was. Some type of software or video card or something idk that rendered games you were playing in 3D.

If it's just software then shouldnt an update let them render games in 3D?

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Why do I have this odd feeling the the PS3's hardware ALREADY supports 3D, and has the whole time? Maybe this is what thy were referring to when they talk about "Utilizing the PS3's full power too early." Sony's just going to go, "Guess what? IT COULD DO THAT THE WHOLE TIME! HAHAHAHAHAAAA!"

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Sounds cool, but I can only wonder how much it costs to develop a game for this tech.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
So this is the next leap in visual technology. I hear they're working on 2040i HD too, using OLED technology. That will be the pinnacle since our eyes will barely differenciate 1080 and 2040. I wonder if they will take advantage of this for their 3D screens... How will we see 3D without the glasses? I can't comprehend it.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Technology is always moving forward. Meanwhile, I still have a TV from the 90's. :(

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
3D gaming would be amazing.
But you just know that the SONY 3D TV will cost a small fortune, and I reckon it'd give you a headache if your playing for more than a few hours.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure Sony is already looking into that technology, I remember then stating that a year ago or so, plus with a link that someone left earlier with Gran Turismo and Motorstorm demos with 3D technology.

Either way, hell-OOOOOOOOOOOO exploding things trying to give me a seizure directly to my face!

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Interesting enough though. I'm wondering if one will have enough money for all of this stuff however...
I'd be more interested in seeing just how many developers would successfully make the leap.

Its been the blockbuster exclusives that have really taken advantage of the high-end graphics the ps3 currently offers. Other developers and multiplatform game makers seem to be having problems though.

If this rumor proves true, I have no doubt that the concept of 3D will give developers some great incentive to learn the technology. But how many of them are already trying to do that now and struggling? How many of them can really afford it on their current budgets?

Games are already selling at $60 here. If 3D is adopted, wouldn't the retail price for games have to go up to help pay for the new technology/people with the necessary skills/additional development time?
Chances are (if this is true) this will be something only very few developers will be able to utilize in their games. Only blockbuster games have been able to use what the ps3 can currently deliver....and only the MEGA-BLOCKBUSTER games will be able to use any of this new rumored tech.

Bigeyez said:
Wait wasn't there already a 3D gaming thing that came out a year or two ago? For the PC I think it was. Some type of software or video card or something idk that rendered games you were playing in 3D.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Overview.html

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
hansari said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Interesting enough though. I'm wondering if one will have enough money for all of this stuff however...
I'd be more interested in seeing just how many developers would successfully make the leap.

Its been the blockbuster exclusives that have really taken advantage of the high-end graphics the ps3 currently offers. Other developers and multiplatform game makers seem to be having problems though.

If this rumor proves true, I have no doubt that the concept of 3D will give developers some great incentive to learn the technology. But how many of them are already trying to do that now and struggling? How many of them can really afford it on their current budgets?

Games are already selling at $60 here. If 3D is adopted, wouldn't the retail price for games have to go up to help pay for the new technology/people with the necessary skills/additional development time?
Chances are (if this is true) this will be something only very few developers will be able to utilize in their games. Only blockbuster games have been able to use what the ps3 can currently deliver....and only the MEGA-BLOCKBUSTER games will be able to use any of this new rumored tech.

Bigeyez said:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Overview.html
Very interesting points there. Price tags, IMO, shouldn't rise. Not mid-generation. This would need a lot of backing otherwise it may just fall by the wayside. Look at NVIDIA, the 3D glasses are awesome, but they're too expensive and no one cares for them right now. Sony can't afford to be selling more things at a loss at this point, that's far to risky/arrogant. Tech takes years to become mainstream, HDTVs have been out since 99, and only now they are coming into prominence.

I can see only high end blockbusters using this tech, I agree not just because the tech is just difficult to utilise in general, but because of the development costs being much higher.

Ridiculous dev costs are already causing market stagnation (they need to either put a cap on the amount of tech advancement next generation, or something), and of those that do create big budget games, the only ones that are really a sure thing are the established franchises (with even that not being a given, Ninja Gaiden 2 hasn't sold over a million yet I believe, and 500k is how much most games need to break even) or the AAA titles like Assassin's Creed (which is now going to sell like an established franchise).

If worst comes to worst, we're going to end up with AAA titles (from the same companies, make of that what you will) fill the library, with smaller companies aiming for downloadable games. Or a myriad of shit small budget downloadable games and one big game, which most poorer companies do. Like you said, most companies haven't got the cash for this kind of stuff.

3D does seem like it would be better next generation, unless it's used as a last ditch effort to spike sales when the PS3 hits market saturation, but I hope that won't be the case. I guess all in all, 3D games won't be exploding all over the market any time soon.

And that was a lot of text, I hope that made sense because my eyes are glazing.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
God I am so fucking sick of this 3D gimmick. First the damn movie industry is trying to revive it and now Sony is doing the same? Here's an idea: how about you start making good games? Stop trying to mask your lack of quality with gimmick after gimmick.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Oh dear. If Sony try and release another very expensive console that is basically only goof for people with like 2 grand tvs it could be the end of the Playstation line. It would work as long as it is a software update, not hardware.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
DRADIS C0ntact said:
Am I the only person who doesn't give a tinker's damn about 3D technology in movies or games? It just doesn't impress me. Certainly not enough to buy a new television when I JUST upgraded to HD this year.
Trust me you are not alone
I can't realisticly se this as Sony's next console, hell the ps3 is only just starting to sell well on a regular basis and I don't think Sony are willing to put so much money into yet another console when the previous one hasn't had it's development costs covered
Having said that I heard they are looking to do the same with a couple of games on the PC and since 3D has been in the cinemas quite a lot recently this may be the new gimmick...Oh Christ I hope not though

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
The money-holders of this world do keep making the same mistakes, don't they? It's like a never ending cycle which spans over a few years and never fails to come back, only to disappear again. Say it with me Sony, nobody cares about 3d games. Say it with me Nintendo, nobody cares about your stupid malfunctioning gimmicks. Gameplay. Story. Immersion. Easy accessibility. Tattoo those words on your employees. Just do it.