Rumor: Sony Unveiling NGP as PS Vita

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
CannibalRobots said:
Simalacrum said:
...Thats a stupid name, I'll be honest.

Why not just go with the usual way of things and go with PSP2?
Wii

Xbox 360

Gamecube

Dreamcast

I thought we were past the age of making fun of console names, I mean really?
...Out of all those names only 1 of them isn't good (in my opinion) - the other ones roll off your tongue quite nicely, even Xbox 360, so long as you use either "Xbox" or "360" separately. :p

Besides, are we not allowed to have opinions over the names of products anymore? And since when was I "making fun" of the name? I was just proclaiming my opinion that its a bad name for a product.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
SomethingAmazing said:
Vita huh?

Is it is going to be buggy, universally crappier than its predecessor and have outrageous system requirements?
Removing an S makes a lot of difference, dude.

Like in the sentence "I will bring laughter to the people".
I loled. (Possibly because its 2:30 am and I'm still awake.)

OT: Name is meh. I always thought Sony had the right idea. Screw the whole new name each generation thing, just number the bloody things and move on.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
How do you know that's not an Italian ad and it's really the PSP Life?
PSP Life sounds just as bad though. It just doesn't fit together.
Terrible-ness of the name won't stop me from possibly buying it, it will just keep me from ever calling it by it's real name.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Just name it PSP2 or NGP... Sounds better than... PS Vita... As many have pointed out before, it's too close to the word Vista... Which brings horrible memories to alot of people...

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
My first thought:
VS PITA

Also, Vita is in this case most likely taken from Latin, and not Italian. (although it's correct in Italian as well, but Italian isn't as old and fancy)

EDIT: They probably won't name it the PSP2 because of the 3DS, since people can actually get confused and think its one generation behind (PSP2 < 3DS). The same reason why Microsoft named their new Xbox 360 instead of Xbox2 when it was competing with the PS3. (although this time, Sony seems to skip the whole number scenario and just go with a fancy name instead)

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
I can see it now from the uninformed masses.

"PSV? What happened to the PSIV? Does this mean my PS3 is obsolete?"

sublight

May 18, 2011
Since PGP stood for "Pretty Good Privacy", I think Sony already unveiled their NGP.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
While I preferred NGP, having a console named Next Generation Portable in 5 years will just be stupid. Plus I imagine it'll be nicknamed PSV from now on and apart from the dutch soccer team, there's nothing to get confused with.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
NLS said:
EDIT: They probably won't name it the PSP2 because of the 3DS, since people can actually get confused and think its one generation behind (PSP2 < 3DS). The same reason why Microsoft named their new Xbox 360 instead of Xbox2 when it was competing with the PS3. (although this time, Sony seems to skip the whole number scenario and just go with a fancy name instead)
Sensible, logical.

People are sheep, after all.

Also, PSV works, in a way. (the fifth in the family, anyway)

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
elilupe said:
PSP Life sounds just as bad though. It just doesn't fit together.
Terrible-ness of the name won't stop me from possibly buying it, it will just keep me from ever calling it by it's real name.
Yeah I'm probably going to end up with one as well, despite how stupid the name is. It'll probably grow on me like Kinect did, though.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Vita? Whoops, sounds too much like Vista - one of the worst OS's in history. Probably a bad marketing move.

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
Why is it that companies drop what are, frankly awesome working names for products in development in exchange for awful ones. First Revolution changed to Wii, and now NGP changes to PSVita.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
Hgame said:
Why is it that companies drop what are, frankly awesome working names for products in development in exchange for awful ones. First Revolution changed to Wii, and now NGP changes to PSVita.
Nintendo Revolution is too long and Next Generation Portable will make no sense in a few years to come.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
PSP2 isn't a bad na,e. I mean, I'll keep calling it PSP regardless, but Vita?
Think of something else please.
sublight said:
Since PGP stood for "Pretty Good Privacy", I think Sony already unveiled their NGP.
Pffft, HAH! That was awesome xD