Rumor: Universal Planning Doom Movie Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Universal Planning Doom Movie Reboot

The studio is supposedly aiming for a PG-13 rating, following the success of other, more family friendly films.

There are rumors that Universal, the studio that owns the movie rights to the Doom games, is planning a big screen reboot, barely six years after the original movie came out. The 2005 movie starred Karl Urban and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as part of a futuristic military team sent to investigate a distress call from a Martian outpost.

The rumors seems to have started on the Australian movie site, What's Playing [http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2011/03/hollywood-insider-doom-you-hollywood/]. According to the site, Universal is looking for scripts, and particularly ones that make good use of 3D. Anyone who has seen the first Doom movie will probably remember the first person section near the end. Silly as it was, it would actually have been a good fit for 3D, so it's quite likely if these rumors are true, we'll be seeing it again.

What's Playing suggests that the success of Paramount's GI Joe: Rise of Cobra inspired Universal to look into revisiting the property, despite the first movie flopping at the box office. This probably means that the movie will be aiming for a PG-13 rating, which doesn't automatically mean it will be bad, but it doesn't lend itself well to a faithful rendition of the source material. Of course, that assumes that there's any validity to these rumors, and they're a little too vague to be really believable right now.

Source: via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/reboot-o-clock-another-doom-film-possibly-coming-196057.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Destructoid+(Destructoid)]

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
I actually really liked the first version, even if it was filled with cheese.

If they took the time to reboot, I would hope it'd be more like the original game, and not filled with group crap. Just one marine, a gun, and a shit-ton of demon/alien/whatever scum.
Sounds like a good time to me :).

Omrosa Samosa

Oct 14, 2009
Doomed indeed. Also it's Dwayne Johnson, not Dwight. . . . although maybe a Dwight Johnson could have done a better job with the whole, you know, acting thing.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This kind of idiotic logic is why the Bioshock movie was cancelled. The guy in charge wanted to make it an 18 so it could reflect the game how it should have done, but the morons wanted a PG-13for mass market appeal.

Urgh, I know these industries run on money but this shit is getting ridiculous. They are willing to screw up every single series (any medium) they can, just to make a quick buck.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
I actually thought the first movie was a pretty good adaptation of the game. I mean, you can't really have an entire movie where there's just one guy silently running around while shooting monsters. I really liked that they did the FPS segment though. It was a nice wink to the source material.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Again? Films need to stick to the source material if they want to use a franchise, not just remove all the blood and maturity to make more money. This is why video game movies usually suck.

Also, the FPS section was the only good part in the movie. On that note, I'm looking forward to seeing the FPS movie based on Modern Warfare - you can't get any more loyal to the source material than that.

Kalahee

Jan 12, 2011
Maybe they'll make Grand Theft Auto for General Audience next?

That's just stupid. Maybe they should experiement a PoV (Point of View/First Person) movie like the last part of actual DOOM movie, with an actually insane alien invasion story.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
A remake of a recent "mature" horror-action movie, based on a game, with a focus on 3d and a PG rating. How could this possibly go wrong...?

The rumour doesn't sound legitimate so far at least, but it IS feasible.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
They are just gonna keep on basterdizing everything I love until theres nothing left....

Whats next, a "Fantasy World Dizzy" live action movie?

unwesen

May 16, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Anyone who has seen the first Doom movie will probably remember the first person section near the end. Silly as it was (...)
What do you mean, silly? Such tongue-in-cheek moments made the film worth watching.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
My god..... 3D..... What are they thinking?!?! I hate 3D movies, so damn annoying. I didn't mind the first movie, though I'm not gonna lie, I was pissed it didn't unclude any kind of portal to hell. The first mistake they made was changing one of the main plot points. I would imagine that since they are aiming for PG13, this one won't include it either.

Just leave it alone if your not going to do it right please.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Well, if they make a good 18 rated film then they would still make alot of money and wouldn't have to make a lower rated film to bring in a wider audience.

I hope the rumour's are not true though.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Yeah, I too hated it when they changed the creatures from what they were supposed to be - actual demons from hell - into genetic monstrosities. Puh-leaze!

A PG-13 version? Even worse . . .