Rumor: Universal Planning Doom Movie Reboot

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It's good to know we'll be getting another FPS-based comedy! Hopefully the 1st person sequences will be in 3D this time around. I'm afraid if The Rock does end up being cast for this, it'll cause the movie to have it's title changed to something like Doom: Speed Run or something else to do with high velocity and/ or the Fast franchise.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Oh dear. This won't end well. What's next, a G-rated Metal Gear?

Still, here's one piece of sage advice for the director, should this project happen to come to fruition: don't do a first-person shooter segment like what was at the end of the first movie. It was goddamn painful to watch and a completely stupid idea to start with. Don't pull that shit.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
The first one was an abomination. They changed it from a demon invasion variant of "omg science, what have you done?" to Resident Evil in space.

They need to not release this and just let it die. Do not tarnish the pristine face of the best FPS of all time with another shit tier movie, please =\

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I actually own the original movie. I have it proudly in my dvd collection. It is so bad I had to own it. And it is hideously bad.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The 2005 movie starred Karl Urban and Dwight "The Rock" Johnson[...]
his name is Dwayne Johnson (ok ok, i know, his name actually is The Rock! :p).

and a pg-13 Doom movie... does not compute!

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Y'know, I was going to groan, but reading the PG rating bit... this might actually be good!

The only conceivable way to make a Doom film and stick to the game plot and have it not laughably bad would be to make it a totally camp, self-parody. Think survival horror meets Riddick meets the 60s Batman film. And a PG rating would fit with that goal.

Fingers crossed indeed.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Eugh. My problem with the original is that it seemed to pull keywords from the game and not a lot else. We got the BFG, it was on mars, there were marines but beyond that it was as close to being doom as a pizza is to being a cheeseburger.

Then you want to shoehorn a game that had "ultraviolence" as a difficulty setting into a pg-13 rating? heck no.

TLDR:
The best movie adaption of doom was called "Aliens".

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Puddle Jumper said:
Ugh, this movie is doomed from the start.

badum-TISH

but srsly, Karl Urban needs to come back. Fo realz. If the rumors are true, that is
He's a bit busy at the moment

And it's official, we won't see his face.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
The first Doom movie was altogether very terrible in my opinion. If this is true and they do remake it I hope they have learned their lesson.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
s0p0g said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The 2005 movie starred Karl Urban and Dwight "The Rock" Johnson[...]
his name is Dwayne Johnson (ok ok, i know, his name actually is The Rock! :p).

and a pg-13 Doom movie... does not compute!
Ah, so it is. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll get it fixed now.

Raineheart

Mar 23, 2009
"Quick, quick! Kill Bill didn't make as much mass money market appeal! MAKE A PG-13 VERSION!"

That quote sounds more plausible than this idea.

Pretty sure if people hear the name "Doom" they aren't going to want their kids to see it, no matter what rating.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
If they do make another Doom movie, don't make it PG-13. That's just stupid. It's not supposed to be "general-audience friendly".

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
PG13? People who are 13 don't even know what the Doom franchise is as the game was made about two decades before their birth and during the abomination of 2005 they would have still been in diapers!

No movie based on a game that is a gore fest about a mute space marine fighting his way out of hell with an arsenal including a "big fucking gun" and chainsaw should EVER be catering to a young audience.

Next are we going to see a movie adaptation of the PS2 "Playboy Mansion" game rated PG?

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Wait, the GI Joe movie was successful? Dear god...

Also, what makes them think that Doom and GI Joe would share the same success?

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Yeah, a game built about violence and horror kindof demands to be aimed at children. It's unfortunate that it's so easy with action movies though. I wish they were doing this with RapeLay, though I welcome the addition of riff materials to my collection. >_>