Rumored Tech Specs Give Wii 2 More Power Than Xbox 360

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Maybe it is a typo and they meant "more powerful than an XBOX"...

Also, the controller sounds like a farking nightmare.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hopefully, this system will not be a shovelware magnet and actually have tons of amazing games. Some of the best games ever made were N64 ones.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
That's like saying the Wii is coming out and it's said to be more powerful than the original xbox. Microsoft's response will blow the Wii 2 away, then again I'm converting to pc gaming so I don't care.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Project Cafe?

...are they planning on digitally serving you food that you can eat?

I know Nintendo are known for doing mad things but...wow

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Well, if that R700 based gpu is true (which as stated before, is 2 generations behind)...by next year (if it's released in the winter), they'll be 3-4ish generations behind.

Maybe there's something about console development that I don't know about that causes them to always use really outdated hardware. Shit, all a console really needs is a decent gpu/cpu, some memory to support its needs. Hard drives are dirt cheap these days. DVD-Rom drives are dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure they buy the parts in bulk....I don't know. It just seems somewhat weird.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Apparently the 3DS sucked so bad they removed the 3D part and turned it into a controller for their upcoming system. heh

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
A lot of negative speculation by forum members, I see. This reminds me of the negative speculation everyone had towards the Wii. Just before it sold billions. In terms of Nintendo's bottom line, it's easy to forget that people in forums are, in fact, the vast minority.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
jpoon said:
funguy2121 said:
jpoon said:
So they are purposefully shooting for a new underpowered system, wow consider me underwhelmed yet again...
What's with all the talk of "yet again" and "trends?"

The Wii was a release unlike any other in Nintendo's, and the industry's, history. The gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and the N64 had more processing power (not to mention *ahem* actual 3D graphics) than PSOne.

People can be so melodramatic. It's a video game.
I would hardly consider the Wii release "unlike any other in the industries history" motion controls just pretty much suck in my account and don't warrant much enthusiasm at all. It just wasn't impressive, just like what I'm hearing about their new system. Time will tell of course, but I'm prepared to be thoroughly unimpressed with what they introduce.
Do I really have to qualify every single statement? Is nothing self-evident?

Nintendo has never made an intentionally weaker, cheaper system to expand the overall market in its history. They didn't do it with the NES, SNES, N64 or Gamecube. That I'm aware of, no one has, unless you count Tiger Games. Sony and Microsoft haven't done it, nor their forefathers, Sega and Atari.

I love all the knee jerk responses on here. At this point all we have is wild speculation. I wouldn't consider any of this "news" credible except the notion that it'll be more powerful than current-gen systems and will include HD. Do you really believe it will have an HD touchscreen? Very few people on here are taking any of these "details" with a grain of salt or looking at this development within a historical context.

Things I keep hearing on here:

"Who cares? 360 is obsolete."

"X-Box 360 and PS3 are SO OLD."

Aside from souped up PCs, what even comes close to the 360 and the PS3? Specifically the 360 because, even though Sony's machine is supposed to have substantially superior hardware, it seems every single game made for both still looks better on the weaker, slower, older 360. We keep hearing that this will change. And that means that, exclusives aside, THE gold standard for console graphics and functionality (60 FPS, baby!) is the 360. And yet it's of no significance that the new Nintendo system (according to Game Informer-owned by Gamestop-conjecture and rumors) will be more powerful than the 360? What games cannot yet be made because of the inferiority of the current-gen Sony and Microsoft consoles? I'm curious. Some of these games look a lot better than the CGI in many recent films.

Those of you who don't like motion controls - don't buy the system. But The Sony and Microsoft next-gen platforms will have them as well. Just having an IR cursor for FPS games is so much better, I can't imagine going back.

One more thing. What games do we expect to see within the first year and a half of launch? I'm guessing No More Heroes 3, Pikmin 3 and a flagship game that's been ignored, at least on home consoles, for a while. F-Zero or Starfox? Please!

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
funguy2121 said:
jpoon said:
funguy2121 said:
jpoon said:
So they are purposefully shooting for a new underpowered system, wow consider me underwhelmed yet again...
What's with all the talk of "yet again" and "trends?"

The Wii was a release unlike any other in Nintendo's, and the industry's, history. The gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 and the N64 had more processing power (not to mention *ahem* actual 3D graphics) than PSOne.

People can be so melodramatic. It's a video game.
I would hardly consider the Wii release "unlike any other in the industries history" motion controls just pretty much suck in my account and don't warrant much enthusiasm at all. It just wasn't impressive, just like what I'm hearing about their new system. Time will tell of course, but I'm prepared to be thoroughly unimpressed with what they introduce.
Do I really have to qualify every single statement? Is nothing self-evident?

Nintendo has never made an intentionally weaker, cheaper system to expand the overall market in its history. They didn't do it with the NES, SNES, N64 or Gamecube. That I'm aware of, no one has, unless you count Tiger Games. Sony and Microsoft haven't done it, nor their forefathers, Sega and Atari.

I love all the knee jerk responses on here. At this point all we have is wild speculation. I wouldn't consider any of this "news" credible except the notion that it'll be more powerful than current-gen systems and will include HD. Do you really believe it will have an HD touchscreen? Very few people on here are taking any of these "details" with a grain of salt or looking at this development within a historical context.

Things I keep hearing on here:

"Who cares? 360 is obsolete."

"X-Box 360 and PS3 are SO OLD."

Aside from souped up PCs, what even comes close to the 360 and the PS3? Specifically the 360 because, even though Sony's machine is supposed to have substantially superior hardware, it seems every single game made for both still looks better on the weaker, slower, older 360. We keep hearing that this will change. And that means that, exclusives aside, THE gold standard for console graphics and functionality (60 FPS, baby!) is the 360. And yet it's of no significance that the new Nintendo system (according to Game Informer-owned by Gamestop-conjecture and rumors) will be more powerful than the 360? What games cannot yet be made because of the inferiority of the current-gen Sony and Microsoft consoles? I'm curious. Some of these games look a lot better than the CGI in many recent films.

Those of you who don't like motion controls - don't buy the system. But The Sony and Microsoft next-gen platforms will have them as well. Just having an IR cursor for FPS games is so much better, I can't imagine going back.

One more thing. What games do we expect to see within the first year and a half of launch? I'm guessing No More Heroes 3, Pikmin 3 and a flagship game that's been ignored, at least on home consoles, for a while. F-Zero or Starfox? Please!
There you go. ALthough I imagine Pikmin 3 will be shown as a surprise at E3 for the current wii, as it's presence now would have been overshadowed by other big name titles.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
The controller is not only said to have a 6-inch HD touchscreen embedded, but a camera, D-pad, 2 bumpers, 2 triggers, and "possibly more," while also doubling as a sensor bar. It sounds like a bit much, but is entirely possible.
So... how do you hold this controller? It sounds like it is 90% buttons. That, or it weighs 20 pounds. Sorry, but that sounds like a bit too much. And why would the controller need a touchscreen and camera?

Until I hear otherwise, I'm calling this fake or a misunderstanding.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the controller part sounds like a bad April Fool's joke that's two weeks late. Seriously, that sounds like an Atari Jaguar controller more than a Nintendo controller. I still find a lot of these rumors to rather dubious

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I don't think its hard to make something more powerful then the 360 now. It is a pretty old console now. Yet people are going to have their day with this without realizing how old the 360 is. The six inch screen in the controller seems a bit iffy. Don't know how you would be using that while playing the game as well.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
In short, PC hardware often has capabilities beyond the DirectX API it was developed to work with, which rarely gets used because developers using DirectX tend to stick with the lowest common denominator.

Console developers, by contrast, have a fixed hardware design. And will gladly use anything and everything the hardware is capable of, because they don't have to worry about their code running on anything else.
[pre-snip& post-snip]
The reason I specifically wish for hardware that "supports"/is compatible with the specifications of DX11 is because of porting. If their hardware has extra features developers should by all means go ahead and use that too, but I for one am sick and tired of seeing old, recycled and un-innovative cross-platform ports (Hello CoD).

Many of the most interesting new games of late have been platform-specific, and I think a reason for that is that working with a single set of hardware specifications is much easier than having a large team work on several platform-specific things simultaneously. Setting the hardware lowest common denominator to "DX11-esque-compatible" I see as a step forward: If all consoles are compatible with the same (or at least very similar) code, it saves a lot of time on cross-platform ports, and we might actually see some interesting games for the "Wii 2"...

But of course, this is Nintendo. Interesting games is something they were done with in the mid 00's.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Regarding the controller:

Because this was Nintendo: OM GIMMICK NINTENDO SUCKS AND IS FOR CASUALS!

If this was Son/Microsoft: You know what, that sounds pretty cool, I might try it!

If it was somehow for the PC: OMG VISIONARIES! THEY'RE GOING TO REVOLUTIONIZE GAMING!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I like the DS, I enjoy using a touchpad the way Nintendo uses it, not for smartphones. This seems like a step forward and I look forward to more news!
I don't think this is real at all.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
I foresee the new Nintendo system turning into a new Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast.