Rumourded Batman: Arkham Prequel to feature the Justice League!

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
From Superherohype.com:
Get ready for this one folks, this will knock your socks off...

Variety is reporting that there are already plans in place for a follow-up to last year's highly revered and very successful game Batman: Arkham City. The proposal from Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment for the developer Rocksteady is to include the Justice League within the game in some capacity. There is speculation that this is due in part to Warner Bros. wanting to make the Justice League a bigger presence before finally making a movie.

The game is said to be a prequel to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and details Batman's first encounter with the Joker. It will also be highly influenced by the 1950s "Silver Age" comic books of all the characters.

There is no official word from Rocksteady on this account, but the game is said to be gearing up for an early 2014 release date.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
But...if they bring the Joker back for another game, who will be cast as his voice actor?

It sure isn't going to be Mark Hamill.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This doesn't really surprise me at all. WB wants to ride the coat tails of Avengers' blockbuster success.

Just a little nitpick: Most people consider the Silver Age of comics to be the 1960's (though technically it started in 1956 according to Wikipedia). It is also known as the "Marvel Age".

EDIT: According to the other thread that was a quote. I'm not sure what the difference between late-50's and early-60's Batman is, but considering when the Adam West tv-show came out I don't think it would be that big.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Z of the Na said:
But...if they bring the Joker back for another game, who will be cast as his voice actor?

It sure isn't going to be Mark Hamill.
That I believe when the guy kicks the bucket. People don't always stick to these retirement plans. And Hamill was less than clear about his, wasn't he?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
TheCaptain said:
That I believe when the guy kicks the bucket. People don't always stick to these retirement plans. And Hamill was less than clear about his, wasn't he?
That's true I suppose. I mean, it's not like they're not going to pay him for doing it, right?

People love his version of the Joker. He's always been good with the fans, too.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Z of the Na said:
TheCaptain said:
That's true I suppose. I mean, it's not like they're not going to pay him for doing it, right?

People love his version of the Joker. He's always been good with the fans, too.
I don't know. I think the fact that they wrote the end of the last game in such a meta way kind of solidified his choice to retire the Joker.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Fappy said:
I don't know. I think the fact that they wrote the end of the last game in such a meta way kind of solidified his choice to retire the Joker.
I like to believe that was a coincidence. I'm not even sure why he decided to retire the voice in the first place.

Unless he is tired of having money, that is.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Z of the Na said:
Fappy said:
I like to believe that was a coincidence. I'm not even sure why he decided to retire the voice in the first place.

Unless he is tired of having money, that is.
Sometimes actors want to retire roles on a high note. He loved his work as the Joker and probably didn't want to risk sullying it somehow.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Fappy said:
Sometimes actors want to retire roles on a high note. He loved his work as the Joker and probably didn't want to risk sullying it somehow.
Well, better that than burning bridges I suppose.

Just goes to show what a great guy Hamill is, from a purely subjective standpoint.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
So it's going to be the Justice league verses the Joker? That's a bit one sided, isn't it?

Although it does seem like they are really thinking about doing something different for this next game, either that or they absolutely have to shoehorn the Joker into it somehow, leading to a really weird game setup. Interesting.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I am not happy. Batman as a character is always least interesting when sharing the spotlight with other heroes.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Isn't it Sliver Era Superman that pulled a power out of his ass every Panel or am I thinking about Golden Era?

Either way, While there was several hints to the DC universe in Arkham City, I'd say that other DC heroes would break the experience of being Batman.

Unlike Marvel, where, At least from what I can see, the Heroes are a lot more Balanced in terms of Power, DC has issues with that, Having to make Batman a Walking Deus Ex Machina to Balance him with the likes of Supes and Wonder Woman, Least that's how I see it.

Please don't flood my Inbox with why I'm most likely wrong, I'm not a Major Comic Book Fan.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
This leaves me with decided sinking feeling in my stomach. Maybe it's just that I'm getting older, but with all the corporate mucking about it's becoming more and more clear that the people at the tops of these companies have absolutely no idea what they are doing and no minds of their own. It's the absolute worst kind of "that was popular, let's do that" mentality, the same mentality that lead to the phenomenally mediocre Amazing Spider man movie. It's not formulas or concepts that make good games or movies, it's execution, a fact these executive douche bags don't seem to grasp. I really hope they don't fuck up the Batman games, I've really enjoyed the last two.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
TheCommanders said:
This leaves me with decided sinking feeling in my stomach. Maybe it's just that I'm getting older, but with all the corporate mucking about it's becoming more and more clear that the people at the tops of these companies have absolutely no idea what they are doing and no minds of their own. It's the absolute worst kind of "that was popular, let's do that" mentality, the same mentality that lead to the phenomenally mediocre Amazing Spider man movie. It's not formulas or concepts that make good games or movies, it's execution, a fact these executive douche bags don't seem to grasp. I really hope they don't fuck up the Batman games, I've really enjoyed the last two.
Oh, Escapist... When will you have "Like" buttons for thread comments?

I agree. Execution is crucial! You can't just ride on past success. You actually have to put effort in!

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Rocksteady did a great job with the Batman games but i still hope this stays a rumour and that they finish with the Batman Arkham games first. I`m talking about the brooding future telling by Azrael ("Gotham will burn") and other little things that wink at a next Arkham installment (Jokers blood delivered to several hospitals). I can`t say i`m a fan of the JLA. Superman, Batman, WonderWoman, Green Arrow i`m sure i forgot a few ones. I had never interest in anyone of them besides Batman (he has great novel stories, i`ve never read the regular stuff).

Too bad that a turtles game from Rocksteady was just a hoax. I would love to see their version of the TMNT. Other than that i`m a bit tired of the Batman franchise. There`re so many good series and novels out there, but i guess the best we will see in the future are more DC related superherostuff with the big names everyone knows.

TheCommanders said:
It could happen, with the sucess of the last two games it`s milking time from now on.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
TheCommanders said:
On the other hand, a great Justice League game is something that just needs to exist.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I love the idea of seeing the Justice League. But a prequel, silver age inspired, joker without Mark Hamill?

I really need more info before I could make my mind up about this. It's certainly not what I was expecting from Rocksteady.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
GiantRaven said:
TheCommanders said:
On the other hand, a great Justice League game is something that just needs to exist.
But only if they make because they think they can make a great game, not if they just make it as a cash in on the current Avengers craze. If they do that, it will be rushed and most likely suck. I wouldn't mind a good Justice League game sometime in the future though.