Rumours for the next Fallout...

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
MatParker116 said:
Bvenged said:
It'll be Canada.

Skyrims engine involves dynamic snow, Canada was annexed in 2059. It was the site of the huge civilian suppression and could offer the most out of Skyrim's engine and Fallout universe.

New York is a stupid place to have it, we saw it in DC and Vegas (city & desert, check) and a too many bloody games have been to NYC this year and last. The only way the could cock that up more is if they turned it into a modern military shooter.
Given Skyrim's number of cities and New York States Location I imagine we'll visit at least portions of:

New York City
Buffalo
Albany
Rochester
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Niagara Falls
Hate to break it to you, but Skyrim isn't a big world. It is just packed with stuff to do which makes it feel big. Solitude is maybe, four streets? New York has thousands. Bethesda just can't spend to much time on the whole world and the scenery.
OT: Maybe it will be set during the great war? I can't tell the future.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I think Canada would be interesting, whether placed in Ontario or out west Alberta area, you could have a large contrast between a highly irradiated southern area near the US border and as you get further north you see more new settlements and greenery as lands that were less densely populated before the war and therefore not targeted by bombs appear.

That and it would allow more of the back-story behind the annexation and resource exploitation to be explored.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
The setting of the Fallout games have to be embedded in American culture. It would make sense if New York was a setting, but it's already been established that NYC was microwaved into crispy bits.

I vote for Texas for the next game's setting. The Fallout universe hasn't touched that place yet and there are so many monuments like the Alamo and such. Though I would have to murder the shit out of everyone because I really, REALLY hate southern accents.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
kidwithxboxlive said:
The new fallout is said to be set in a New York area, which I personally am really looking forward to, because going to the statue of liberty seems so fun and look amazing to play around with.

The engine is said to be Skyrim, which again sounds amazing! I cracked a joke of you coming across random strangers sitting in a house telling you 'I used to be a wanderer like you.... Then I took a bullet to the knee.'

First off, where did you hear that it was going to be in the New York area? Wouldn't it be better to put it in the Midwest - an area which they haven't used yet (New York is similar to DC in some way)?

Second, the next Fallout game cannot use the Creation engine. That engine was contorted to be used for Skyrim and Skyrim alone. It's just too pretty to be used by a empty, depressing Fallout game. If they were to use the engine, it would take too much time and money to change it so it can be used properly by the Fallout universe. Either they stick with the current engine or they make a new one from scratch, which will take a long time.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
I think Canada would be interesting, whether placed in Ontario or out west Alberta area, you could have a large contrast between a highly irradiated southern area near the US border and as you get further north you see more new settlements and greenery as lands that were less densely populated before the war and therefore not targeted by bombs appear.

That and it would allow more of the back-story behind the annexation and resource exploitation to be explored.
In my opinion, the Fallout games should stay in the USA. The whole universe centers around the culture of the nation at the time of the war and the bombings. If they were to include Canada, they should not make it the complete map. Give off a piece of the map or half of it to be used for this or make one of the DLCs be located in the Canadian area.

reCAPTCHA: Does anyone know where I can find ngsspee insulin? I guess the computer god is a diabetic.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Tin Man said:
I wouldn't expect another game this gen... Fact is, Skyrim wasn't even supposed to be out on this gen because Bethesda know they need a new engine, and those things take ages to build.
I hope you are right, I'll take the wait of next gen and new engine over seeing it rushed in a year or two. Seeing as it is one of my favorite series, the wait will be positively horrible but I rather have an amazing, ground breaking game than more of the same. I'd prefer Fallout was the first game on their new engine since I like it a little bit more than Elder Scrolls.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
ScorpioT said:
To those mentioning New York, from fallout wiki -

New York was the location of the United Nations headquarters.

In 2065 a nuclear reactor, struggling to power the population of 17 million people, went supercritical for a period of about 5 minutes. While there was no explosion, the NYC incident coined the term "hot summer" for a heat-related electrical overload on nuclear systems.

Maybe it fried 17 million people and now it's a giant mass grave, do you really want the next Fallout to take place in such a city? :)
It'll make good DLC plus you'll might get the best RAD resist suit while you're at it. Also please avoid the Super and Legendary Glowing Ones.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
The Rascal King said:
The setting of the Fallout games have to be embedded in American culture. It would make sense if New York was a setting, but it's already been established that NYC was microwaved into crispy bits.

I vote for Texas for the next game's setting. The Fallout universe hasn't touched that place yet and there are so many monuments like the Alamo and such. Though I would have to murder the shit out of everyone because I really, REALLY hate southern accents.
Actually it never did. What happened was:

In 2065 a nuclear reactor, struggling to power the population of 17 million people, went supercritical for a period of about 5 minutes. While there was no explosion, the NYC incident coined the term "hot summer" for a heat-related electrical overload on nuclear systems.

So no one died, no explosion, no nothing.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont care who makes it or where its set...

but a fallout game with nice graphics? HELLS YES

Sinisterair

Oct 15, 2008
kidwithxboxlive said:
So, Skyrim has just been released, meaning there is a new game to come within 1 year +. Me and some friends were talking about the next fallout, and to be brief, we talked about the following.

The new fallout is said to be set in a New York area, which I personally am really looking forward to, because going to the statue of liberty seems so fun and look amazing to play around with.

The engine is said to be Skyrim, which again sounds amazing! I cracked a joke of you coming across random strangers sitting in a house telling you 'I used to be a wanderer like you.... Then I took a bullet to the knee.'

Thats all that I can remember, if any more arises, I will update the thread.

Thoughts and opinions on these?
They've actually stated they wont do New York because That city has been over done to death in gaming so they want somewhere that is more original, They also usually do areas that they are used to so that they can use the knowledge they have of their surroundings to make the best game possible. Ex: Bethesda Softworks HQ is in Maryland which is very close to D.C and the Obsidian Team has worked with the sort of atmosphere that F: NV had

Karthek

Feb 26, 2009
I hope we go back to the East Coast so we have the chance to hear 3 Dog again!!!
'Specially after the disappointing Mister New Vegas...

Karthek

Feb 26, 2009
Melon Hunter said:
New York would be great. You know why? Because the teaser trailer could have Frank Sinatra's 'New York' playing in it. Imagine: zoom out from a radio, song begins. "Start spreadin' the news...", camera pans out out from the crown of the Statue of Liberty, over the harbour and the ruins of Manhattan, at some point zooms in on a power-armoured figure; "New York, New York...", song fades out, camera fades to black. "War. War never changes." Then the words Fallout 4 show. That would be incredible.
I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it! Not to mention it would be an excuse to put Frank Sinatra's music into a video game(which NEEDS to happen).

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Fawxy said:
I'm going to put this here, because this is along the lines of what I'm hoping for:

LOOK ME IN THE EYES AND TELL ME YOU DON'T WANT TO EXPLORE/LOOT THE SHIT OUT OF THAT!!! I DARE YOU!
As long as more than 60% of that (unlike the usual 40-45% or less in the newer Fallout games) is actually explorable/lootable, I can honestly say that I would be very happy for the next few hundred hours.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
kidwithxboxlive said:
So, Skyrim has just been released, meaning there is a new game to come within 1 year +. Me and some friends were talking about the next fallout, and to be brief, we talked about the following.

Thats all that I can remember, if any more arises, I will update the thread.

Thoughts and opinions on these?
why not have it set in China? Seriously, when I was playing Fallout 3 and I wore the Chinese jump suit, all I could think is, if this is what American looks like (waste land) then what does China look like? Because I'm assuming that America bombed it to hell. But then language would be an issue...

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Darth_Dude said:
I cant see it set outside America, but New York would be nice, although I wonder how they'll implement skyscrapers without making everything an endless mass of stairs and hallways.
most/all the buildings fell down. Problem solved.

Back on topic, WHY would they set it in new york? That place has been DONE TO DEATH. Yes, New York is smelly and you have to keep 10 decoy wallets plus a concealed weapon (and subsequent permit) just to walk around downtown, but we've had SO MANY FRIGGIN' disasters set in New York the thrill of "Yup, sounds like Americas most over rated state got what it had coming!" wore off long ago.

How about setting the game somewhere nobody ever uses? Like Maine? Or Michigan? Hell, how about Seattle? Fallout even has an established setting for Seattle (It's in a permanent nuclear winter, all the buildings are turn-of-the-century-ayn-rand-art-deco style)

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
We'll see when it comes out, won't we...
I didn't know Skyrim had its own engine! Whatever direction they go with Fallout, I really hope they keep in the humor that they went for with Old World Blues, and take the linearity introduced in Lonesome Road OUT of the game.