Run Forrest Run

Dec 14, 2009
Eh, it's alright. 10/10 - IGN

If there's money to be made off of controversy, you can bet your arse someone's gonna do it.

Pipeline

May 5, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
What's so controversial about this?
Really?

For the same way this is controversial.

[ video snip ]
It lacks a very distinct amount of tastefulness.
I don't get what the first or third games are supposed to be referencing. Could you explain?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
There might as well be a Forrest Gump MOBA while we're at it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I don't think there's a facepalm meme big enough to cover this one, but I'll try...

*prays to Google*

This is the best I've got:

Dec 14, 2009
Pipeline said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Really?

[ video snip ]
I don't get what the first or third games are supposed to be referencing. Could you explain?
The first game is based off the movie Forrest Gump, a movie about a mentally handicapped man. The third is a movie based on the Rwandan Genocide of the 90s.

Pipeline

May 5, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:
Pipeline said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Really?

[ video snip ]
The first game is based off the movie Forrest Gump, a movie about a mentally handicapped man. The third is a movie based on the Rwandan Genocide of the 90s.
I see, thank you. Yeah, I can understand why that would be controversial.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
So Forrest Gump as an infinite runner, 911 as a flappy bird clone, and Hotel Rwanda as a tower defense? Clever, horrible and clever; just the way I like it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010

So it's a shitty Subway Surfers rip-off, except offensive and insensitive? Is there a level that Hollywood execs won't stoop to? I didn't even think it was possible to have this little shame and self-awareness.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Hazy992 said:

So it's a shitty Subway Surfers rip-off, except offensive and insensitive? Is there a level that Hollywood execs won't stoop to? I didn't even think it was possible to have this little shame and self-awareness.
Hi! I see you're new around here. This is a planet we like to call Earth. If you look to your right, you'll see the human race. Please don't stare at them; they are fiercely territorial and will perceive it as a challenge. They'll throw poop at you.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
To be fair they wouldn't even have the sense to call the game "United 93", that's to literal and subtle. It would be called "Flappy Terrorist" and be filled with adverts for Islamic dating sites. "Hotel Rwanda" would be another Tiny Tower clone from Zynga, complete with stolen art assets.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I'm more confused by this game existing than anything.
Why did they think this would be a good idea? No, rather, that this would sell?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Lieju said:
I imagine it will sell, because I've met plenty of people who would find the idea hilarious. The fact that it's off-colour will be what sells it.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
If there is a Vietnam level I am going to buy the shit out of this and give it a 5 star review...

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I'm still waiting for them to release Schindler's "Herr Direktor" simulator, it's a factory sim where... you know what, I don't even feel like joking right now, I don't care. I'll leave it up to other peeps to determine whether it's offensive or to serious a film to make crappy little apps for as it's been a while since i've seen the film and I can't remember a lot of it.

The game looks crappy though.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Meh, the game just isn't funny enough, it doesn't go far enough with the desecration to really do it for me.

Plus its just a shitty game in the end, bad sound effects, shitty graphics, probably controls like crap since you have to swipe to make the character move.

If they where actually smart about games like this and where either really charming or really, really insulting then it might actually work. But now its just meh.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
Lieju said:
Of course it would sell. Look around you. Controversy sells.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I will wait for the "Motherf*cking T-Rex", the Videogame thank you very much.

Lieju said:
Easy: Because it is so controversial and no logical the Hollywood know it will sell.

Another Example:

Mary Poppin Versus the Hitler's Army

See? It is so easy.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
SweetShark said:
Lieju said:
Easy: Because it is so controversial and no logical the Hollywood know it will sell.

Another Example:

See? It is so easy.
Grape_Nuts said:
Lieju said:
Does it really, though?

Controversy can get you publicity, but you need to have some sort of draw in addition to that.
It's fairly different for example if the controversy is over sex-scenes, or for having pedophilia in it.

I guess if this game is cheap enough, a lot of people can buy it just for curiosity's sake?

My first thought wasn't 'oh how controversial', but 'well that's sort of random and not particularly topical'.

(At least Mary Poppin fighting Nazis sounds somewhat interesting. Didn't she have creepy superpowers? Also she's a cool lady, I'd play a game where she fights the Nazis, if it was at least average.)

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Controversy? It's a tasteful classic movie about a man overcoming multiple handicaps to lead an amazing life which happens to cross paths with many important moments in history.

Not sure whats controversial about seeing a guy who's different. We don't have to stick people with mental challenges in closets to avoid offending people.

That being said the game is about 10 years late and it looks horrible and uninspired.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
So....the idea is to (un?)intentionally give publicity to a game like this just so you can play the outrage card? You realize that's exactly what they want, right?

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
No, but seriously though.

Seriously?

That's just so... bizarre.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
The Hungry Samurai said:
Controversy? It's a tasteful classic movie about a man overcoming multiple handicaps to lead an amazing life which happens to cross paths with many important moments in history.

Not sure whats controversial about seeing a guy who's different. We don't have to stick people with mental challenges in closets to avoid offending people.

That being said the game is about 10 years late and it looks horrible and uninspired.
Yeah...if it was alright to make a movie out of, why not a game?

One wonders who owns the rights, though, or if they'll fudged it enough to avoid that.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
Lieju said:
SweetShark said:
Lieju said:

Another Example:

See? It is so easy.
Grape_Nuts said:
Lieju said:
Does it really, though?

Controversy can get you publicity, but you need to have some sort of draw in addition to that.
It's fairly different for example if the controversy is over sex-scenes, or for having pedophilia in it.

I guess if this game is cheap enough, a lot of people can buy it just for curiosity's sake?

My first thought wasn't 'oh how controversial', but 'well that's sort of random and not particularly topical'.

(At least Mary Poppin fighting Nazis sounds somewhat interesting. Didn't she have creepy superpowers? Also she's a cool lady, I'd play a game where she fights the Nazis, if it was at least average.)
People are attracted to controversial games and movies for various reasons. Curiosity is but one of them. For some people, it's the thrill of enjoying something that so many people are outraged about. For other people, controversy represents an outlet to deal with their inner psychological insecurities and frustrations.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Grape_Nuts said:
People are attracted to controversial games and movies for various reasons. Curiosity is but one of them. For some people, it's the thrill of enjoying something that so many people are outraged about. For other people, controversy represents an outlet to deal with their inner psychological insecurities and frustrations.
Are people outraged about this though?
Buying a game just because it will piss people off is very immature thing anyway, and I can't see many kids being interested to a 20-year old movie or any controversy about it.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
RJ 17 said:
I don't think there's a facepalm meme big enough to cover this one, but I'll try...

*prays to Google*

Here, let me help you:

When I watched the video part of me was thinking "No. Nobody would turn this into *that* kind of game", but part of me knew it was going to happen. Said part of me is far too reliable when it comes to such things.
Jesus, why do some people/industries never fail to disappoint?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
What exactly is the controversy here? It's a game about a movie about someone who was mentally challenged. Now this is the first I've heard about this game, so I don't know how tasteful it is, or what the objective or point of it is, but all that people seem to be saying is that it's about a mentally impaired man. Well no fucking shit, so was the movie, why exactly does that make the game in bad taste?

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
Lieju said:
Grape_Nuts said:
Are people outraged about this though?
Buying a game just because it will piss people off is very immature thing anyway, and I can't see many kids being interested to a 20-year old movie or any controversy about it.
Not sure about the old movie, but the other two definitely induce outrage and disgust.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Forrest Gump is not a movie about a tragedy so why is it being compared to them?

The Hungry Samurai said:

As the father of an autistic child I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm actually offended by the people that have a problem with this.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
This is as real as the Ministry of Silly Walks phone game.

which is to say that is also real

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
ticklefist said:
Forrest Gump is not a movie about a tragedy so why is it being compared to them?

The Hungry Samurai said:

As the father of an autistic child I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm actually offended by the people that have a problem with this.
Do you really think that a 2D running game is going to use Forrest Gump with tact and tasteful adaptation? Just like, you know, Flappy Bird is going to be the appropriate clone for the tragedy of 9/11 or a side-scroller would DEFINITELY show the genocide of Rwanda without being completely disposable? Please, hold your joses. This isn't about trying to hide autism, it's about a game that has nothing to do with the movie about a man who has to overcome it. They are LITERALLY playing the controversy card.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
klaynexas3 said:
What exactly is the controversy here? It's a game about a movie about someone who was mentally challenged. Now this is the first I've heard about this game, so I don't know how tasteful it is, or what the objective or point of it is, but all that people seem to be saying is that it's about a mentally impaired man. Well no fucking shit, so was the movie, why exactly does that make the game in bad taste?
Couldn't have said it better myself. So the game features someone with autism, and that makes it automatically controversial? What? What the hell is the logic there?

Also, even if the game DID make tasteless references to autism (which I don't it does) it still wouldn't really be comparable to a game about fucking 9/11 or the Rwandan genocide. That's overstating it just a fucking little.

Of course, the authors know that, because the really sweet irony here is that THEY'RE the ones trying to drum up controversy. And the Escapist community seems to have taken the bait.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Ferisar said:
ticklefist said:

The Hungry Samurai said:

Do you really think that a 2D running game is going to use Forrest Gump with tact and tasteful adaptation? Just like, you know, Flappy Bird is going to be the appropriate clone for the tragedy of 9/11 or a side-scroller would DEFINITELY show the genocide of Rwanda without being completely disposable? Please, hold your joses. This isn't about trying to hide autism, it's about a game that has nothing to do with the movie about a man who has to overcome it. They are LITERALLY playing the controversy card.
You might need to explain what's so controversial about it then. It's not as apparent for some as it is for others.

Edit: Aaaand I responded to a guy that emphasized "literally" with caps before speaking figuratively. You clearly don't think about the things you say.

And a quick refresher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgnJ8GpsBG8

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Robot Number V said:
klaynexas3 said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. So the game features someone with autism, and that makes it automatically controversial? What? What the hell is the logic there?

Also, even if the game DID make tasteless references to autism (which I don't it does) it still wouldn't really be comparable to a game about fucking 9/11 or the Rwandan genocide. That's overstating it just a fucking little.

Of course, the authors know that, because the really sweet irony here is that THEY'RE the ones trying to drum up controversy. And the Escapist community seems to have taken the bait.
It's like the WGDF poster they made claiming there would be more of it soon. It's simply there to piss people off for the sake of pissing people off. I typically like Critical Miss, but I feel like they're trying too hard at this point with their click bait shit.

As for the game, I saw some gameplay of it. It's an infinite runner game. Besides the reason of why he's running, literally nothing about it has to do with Forest Gump. And on top of that, I didn't see anything alluding to his impairments either in the game, so while I'd hardly call it tasteful, it wasn't tasteless either. It's your regular carbon copy terrible IOS game that's existence is about as necessary as...this comic. It's use of Forest Gump is for name recognition alone, and from what I saw, is in no way offensive either besides simply being a cash in on an old movie that not many people even talk about anymore.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I'm... a little confused.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I've actually always wondered about this movie, but never bothered to look it up. Is Forest Gump an actual person? I mean, I know a lot of the content in the movie was definitely made up for comedic effect (like the marathon scene), but is the dude real?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
TheSniperFan said:
RJ 17 said:

*prays to Google*

Here, let me help you:

When I watched the video part of me was thinking "No. Nobody would turn this into *that* kind of game", but part of me knew it was going to happen. Said part of me is far too reliable when it comes to such things.
Jesus, why do some people/industries never fail to disappoint?
Couldn't have put it better myself. That explains this massive headache I have now.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Yeah...

I'm going to say it seems rather more insulting to complain about this than to make a game like this. I mean it's not like the game is making any point about Forrest Gump being mentally handicapped. It's just about him running.

But ow no! We can't have silly, cheaply made F2P games about mentally handicapped people! We can only show stuff like that in the most serious documentaries and motion pictures! Because being mentally handicapped is totally like 9/11 or Hotel Rwanda, a complete and utter devastating tragedy.

Saying this as someone who's spend half a year living with 13 mentally handicapped children and someone who's current job involves making software especially for mentally handicapped people. FUCK YOU.

Seriously, being mentally handicapped doesn't mean you're a fragile spoiled child incapable of humor. I haven't met a single mentally handicapped person who didn't greatly enjoy laughing, including about themselves. What I have met is no shortage of people who greatly disliked being treated as something to be kept at a safe distance, someone who couldn't be included because they're 'different'.

You want to know what really is tasteless? Comparing this game to 9/11 and Hotel Rwanda, that's disgusting.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
This just doesn't feel right. I dunno...it feels iffy.

And now people are clawing at each other's throats...*Sigh* another day on the internet. Someone does something stupid and we yell at each other.

Sep 13, 2009
Hagi said:
I was going to say, I'm glad someone else feels this way.

Isn't this a good thing? Watching the video I don't see anything offensive about its depiction of mentally handicapped people. I can't think of any reason why a mentally handicapped person can't be the protagonist in what's supposed to be a fun little game.

The only thing that confuses me is why they even made it, the movie came out ages ago

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Hagi said:
I was going to say, I'm glad someone else feels this way.

Isn't this a good thing? Watching the video I don't see anything offensive about its depiction of mentally handicapped people. I can't think of any reason why a mentally handicapped person can't be the protagonist in what's supposed to be a fun little game.

The only thing that confuses me is why they even made it, the movie came out ages ago
I think the whole thins is that they decided to make a game out of the bit where a mentally handicapped kid gets bullied.

I dunno, it just feels iffy.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
erttheking said:
I think the whole thins is that they decided to make a game out of the bit where a mentally handicapped kid gets bullied.

Put it this way, let's say it wasn't Forrest Gump. Instead it was a game about a nerd running, with a very short introduction about it being him running away from bullies.

And someone protested that, on the argument that depicting nerds is something that requires tastefulness, that it was controversial to depict a nerd in a silly, humorous context. That it compared showing a nerd in a game to be akin to showing great national tragedies that claimed countless lives.

Would you feel iffy about that game?
Would you feel iffy about the controversy surrounding it?

EDIT: If the nerd example doesn't work for you, feel free to substitute for a gay character, a female character or any other character who could be considered 'different'.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Hagi said:
erttheking said:

Put it this way, let's say it wasn't Forrest Gump. Instead it was a game about a nerd running, with a very short introduction about it being him running away from bullies.

And someone protested that, on the argument that depicting nerds is something that requires tastefulness, that it was controversial to depict a nerd in a silly, humorous context. That it compared showing a nerd in a game to be akin to showing great national tragedies that claimed countless lives.

Would you feel iffy about that game?
Would you feel iffy about the controversy surrounding it?

EDIT: If the nerd example doesn't work for you, feel free to substitute for a gay character, a female character or any other character who could be considered 'different'.
Actually yeah, I would feel iffy about those kinds of games.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
erttheking said:
Why? It's just a character, who happens to be different from your usual protagonist, running away from bullies.

You really think being different warrants taking special care and exclusion to the realm of serious topics? That humor involving laughing about someone different, where the difference is not the subject of the joke, is iffy?

To me, that just seems incredibly dehumanizing.

RaisingDead

Mar 31, 2014
I too am a little confused about what is exactly controversial about this. I mean, I guess it's the implication that Forrest Gump is mentally handicapped and he happens to be running against the wrong side of traffic? But I don't think they were intentionally poking fun at his mental deficiency. Rather, I think it was just pure coincidence in terms of game design.

It's obviously a cash-in on the movie and the "Infinite Runner" genre of games, and that is all it is trying to be. Pointless, but nothing controversial.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hagi said:
Yeah...

I'm going to say it seems rather more insulting to complain about this than to make a game like this. I mean it's not like the game is making any point about Forrest Gump being mentally handicapped. It's just about him running.

But ow no! We can't have silly, cheaply made F2P games about mentally handicapped people! We can only show stuff like that in the most serious documentaries and motion pictures! Because being mentally handicapped is totally like 9/11 or Hotel Rwanda, a complete and utter devastating tragedy.

Saying this as someone who's spend half a year living with 13 mentally handicapped children and someone who's current job involves making software especially for mentally handicapped people. FUCK YOU.

Seriously, being mentally handicapped doesn't mean you're a fragile spoiled child incapable of humor. I haven't met a single mentally handicapped person who didn't greatly enjoy laughing, including about themselves. What I have met is no shortage of people who greatly disliked being treated as something to be kept at a safe distance, someone who couldn't be included because they're 'different'.

You want to know what really is tasteless? Comparing this game to 9/11 and Hotel Rwanda, that's disgusting.
If that's what you take away from this strip then it says far more about your attitudes than it does mine. As a side note, you're free to misinterpret our jokes all you want, but please stay civil on the forums.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
Hagi said:
erttheking said:
Why? It's just a character, who happens to be different from your usual protagonist, running away from bullies.

You really think being different warrants taking special care and exclusion to the realm of serious topics? That humor involving laughing about someone different, where the difference is not the subject of the joke, is iffy?

To me, that just seems incredibly dehumanizing.
Because it shows them being bullied when it has no need to do so. I mean it hardly ties into gameplay at all. Why bother?

Please point out the part where I said that. I don't think being different takes extra care, I just think that showing people who have to go through tons of crap and have to worried about being bullied in real life being bullied in a game where it's not connected to anything at all and is just there for the sake of being there is rather tasteless.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
The Wooster said:
If that's what you take away from this strip then it says far more about your attitudes than it does mine. As a side note, you're free to misinterpret our jokes all you want, but please stay civil on the forums.
Then please, do tell. What was your intention?

Enlighten me as to the similarities of being mentally handicapped, terrorist attacks and ethnic cleansings. And my attitudes for raising an objection to any comparison being drawn between those three?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
erttheking said:
Because it shows them being bullied when it has no need to do so. I mean it hardly ties into gameplay at all. Why bother?
Because that's the movie? I mean you've watched Forrest Gump right? That's the part where they say Run Forrest, Run. Which is what the game is about...

lord canti

May 30, 2009
So why is this controversial? I mean I would understand if the other two games existed, but an infinite runner Forrest Gump games seem more along the lines of just plain stupid, not offensive.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
The Wooster said:
I think your comparisons made your intentions pretty clear. If you've got some high road to take here, by all means take it. Don't keep us in suspense.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hagi said:
The Wooster said:

Enlighten me as to the similarities of being mentally handicapped, terrorist attacks and ethnic cleansings.
HOLY LOADED QUESTION THAT ISN'T HALF AS CLEVER AS YOU THINK IT IS, BATMAN. The strip has nothing to do with Forest's mental handicap. It's about the tonal disparity and complete barrel-scrapiness of taking a well-regarded - some might say "classic" - film and making it into a cheap, Temple Run knockoff. I've got no issues with the idea of a Forest Gump game. Hell, I think Telltale could do a great job of it. I'm more concerned with the TYPE of game it's being made into. That's why the two punchlines are both obvious parodies of popular mobile games prone to being ripped off.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
The Wooster said:
Hagi said:
The Wooster said:

Enlighten me as to the similarities of being mentally handicapped, terrorist attacks and ethnic cleansings.
HOLY LOADED QUESTION THAT ISN'T HALF AS CLEVER AS YOU THINK IT IS, BATMAN. The strip has nothing to do with Forest's mental handicap. It's about the tonal disparity and complete barrel-scrapiness of taking a well-regarded - some might say "classic" - film and making it into a cheap, Temple Run knockoff. I've got no issues with the idea of a Forest Gump game. Hell, I think Telltale could do a great job of it. I'm more concerned with the TYPE of game it's being made into. That's why the two punchlines are both obvious parodies of popular mobile games prone to being ripped off.
Well that wasn't communicated effectively at all. What I read is that making games about handicapped people is insensitive. As insensitive as making games about terrorism and genocide.

If that's still wrong then, look, we're your fans. Your audience. You can either tell us that we read it wrong or you can be a pro and write it better next time.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Also, sweet merciful Jesus, the Escapist forums are the only place on earth where 9/11 jokes are fine but disliking a cheap cash in on Forest Gump makes you worse than Hitler.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
The Wooster said:
Hagi said:
The Wooster said:

Which is what I'm indeed taking issue with.

That mental handicaps are something that could apparently only be depicted in the type of games telltale makes, highly respected and serious games. That it's something wholly different that requires us to take very, very careful care so as not to be insensitive.

Because that just reinforces the existing stigma that mentally handicapped people can't be included because the things we're doing aren't the TYPE of things mentally handicapped people should be included in. That they're a separate category of people that need separate activities, separate games, separate lives.

And that's not a good thing. That's something that's making a lot of people very unhappy. People who'd much rather be included, in the sensitive as well as the insensitive, rather than be excluded yet again as they've so often been.

Here's my point and my issue with your comic. That the clear message is that there's a certain TYPE of game that is suitable to mentally handicapped people and others aren't. That depicting mental handicaps is something that requires an esteemed developed like telltale games and that it's certainly not something that we can put into cheap, money-grabbing F2P games.

And to reinforce that sentiment in, what I consider an extremely cheap comic, makes me angry yeah. For which I apologize, but it's a subject that I feel rather involved with and I feel that, even if unintentional, this comic merely serves to reinforce harmful stigmas that exist.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Ferisar said:
ticklefist said:

The Hungry Samurai said:

They're really not, it's a shitty mobile game based on a movie to join the pile of shitty mobile games based on movies that already exist.

I can get people being unhappy about it being a cash grab based on an classic movie but think of it this way:

There is an entire generation that haven't seen this movie, putting a little game on their phones may well encourage them to see it and that's a damned good thing in my books.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hagi said:
The Wooster said:
Hagi said:
The Wooster said:

Which is what I'm indeed taking issue with.

That mental handicaps are something that could apparently only be depicted in the type of games telltale makes, highly respected and serious games. That it's something wholly different that requires us to take very, very careful care so as not to be insensitive.
You literally could not be projecting any harder. The strip is about respect for movie source material. It has nothing to do with Forest's mental capabilities.

The great irony, of course, is you're accusing me of arguing against mentally diverse lead characters in Critical Miss, a comic known mostly for its mentally diverse lead character.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Forrest deserves a better game, that's for sure. It's relatively harmless as far as cash in games go but it sure picked one, small aspect of the source material and just rolled with that.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
The Wooster said:
You literally could not be projecting any harder. The strip is about respect for movie source material. It has nothing to do with Forest's mental capabilities.

The great irony, of course, is you're accusing me of arguing against mentally diverse lead characters in Critical Miss, a comic known mostly for its mentally diverse lead character.
I've got lots of black friends but... ?

And what disrespect to the source material? It's a game about a movie character that's well known for his running doing exactly that. It's just a cheap game about an extremely popular cultural phenomenon, like there have been hundreds of cheap games before it and will be hundreds of cheap games after it. Personally I'm happy for this game that may hopefully introduce a few new people to what's undoubtedly an amazing movie.

But sure, if you say that's all it is then I'll take your word for it and I'll apologize again for my angry reaction, that was unwarranted. All the same I don't think it's wrong to be aware how this comic comes across, not as a commentary on respect for your source material but as a comparison of a mental handicap as a subject sharing the same gravity as terrorist attacks and ethnic cleansing.

Maybe next time compare it to actual movies? Might get your point across a lot better, say Ripley in a bikini running away from an Alien plastered with sponsor logos...

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Hagi said:
The Wooster said:

And what disrespect to the source material? It's a game about a movie character that's well known for his running doing exactly that. It's just a cheap game about an extremely popular cultural phenomenon, like there have been hundreds of cheap games before it and will be hundreds of cheap games after it. Personally I'm happy for this game that may hopefully introduce a few new people to what's undoubtedly an amazing movie.
The fact that there have been a hundred thousand cash-ins of this kind doesn't make this a correct policy. Any developer that knows he is dealing with a movie that has a big fanbase, addresses mental disabilities with respect and is considered a classic by the majority of people is OBLIGATED to show at least a hint of humbleness.

This game respects neither the movie, nor its' subject, nor its' audience.

I cannot have a nice time with this sort of stuff. I mean, Jenny hopping in every 2 seconds with a smile on her face while most of us know what her character goes through in the movie is something despicably low. Plus, if you think the film's central theme is running, then you missed the point of it completely.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
ticklefist said:
Edit: Aaaand I responded to a guy that emphasized "literally" with caps before speaking figuratively.
Lmao, yep, that's me. I literally don't think about anything I say, especially when I say it literally. Who needs to communicate with regular speech patterns and widely-accepted ways of providing information? This isn't an essay. I literally don't have to be literal despite using it as an exaggeration to hammer home my point. I'm sorry that it's so difficult to comprehend (especially after you take several seconds to ACKNOWLEDGE my usage of the word as improper and be fully aware in what I aimed to accomplish, and then use it to insult me for LITERALLY no raisins at all.) Please stay on point or don't bring this second-hand shit into the conversation, because it's , actually LITERALLY useless for you to point out my lack of textual tact.

ticklefist said:
You might need to explain what's so controversial about it then. It's not as apparent for some as it is for others.
Do I really? It's a movie regarded as a classic about a man overcoming his disabilities and achieving greatness in the eyes of many despite remaining completely human and going through the same shit everyone else went through. Why the actual flying flappy bird fuck would they be all "hey, this character from this awesome movie? We're going to include him in our temple-run knock-off iOS title." You don't see the controversy? They're taking the underlying theme of the film, the struggle of the main character, stripping it all away and putting him to run forward indefinitely with a single quote from the movie. Gee, I wonder why people are upset, it might just be that, OH RIGHT, THEY COULD'VE USED LITERALLY (see, I did it again) anyone else and it would've been more tastefully done than this. Oh, but no, Forrest Gump is clearly the only character in film that ever ran anywhere, right? Tom Cruise need not apply, for we have the man to qualify. We're so totally on the nose about this whole matter.

The reality is, if they didn't pick him, they'd have no publicity. Because all of their publicity is coming from making a mockery of someone else.

EDIT:
After letting the testosterone settle, I will submit that this is a non-troversy, but it's done so tastelessly that I will stand by that this should never have existed and should never be purchased. It's a game with a premise that cashes in on a film's character in the shallowest manner and attempts nothing beyond the laziest re-use of a game that uses a single mechanic. Controversy? No. Awful? Yep.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
katsabas said:
Hagi said:
The Wooster said:

The fact that there have been a hundred thousand cash-ins of this kind doesn't make this a correct policy. Any developer that knows he is dealing with a movie that has a big fanbase, addresses mental disabilities with respect and is considered a classic by the majority of people is OBLIGATED to show at least a hint of humbleness.

This game respects neither the movie, nor its' subject, nor its' audience.

I cannot have a nice time with this sort of stuff. I mean, Jenny hopping in every 2 seconds with a smile on her face while most of us know what her character goes through in the movie is something despicably low. Plus, if you think the film's central theme is running, then you missed the point of it completely.
There's a reason I didn't use the word theme.

Running is a not insignificant part of Forrest's character (part, not theme). It's how he displayed independence, by shedding those walking aids. It's how he displayed loyalty and caring to his friends, by running them to safety in Vietnam. It's how he coped with a troubling time in his life, by running from coast to coast.

While running isn't a theme of the movie it most certainly is central. It's not for nothing that even when sitting on that bench with his chocolates and dressed up in a fine suit he's still wearing dirty running shoes. His running shoes are the first part of him the viewer sees in the movie.

Considering the theme of Forrest Gump is well beyond a simple F2P game I'd say running was the best thing they could've picked, it's significance in Forrest Gump is undeniable. Trying to cash in on the movie's theme in such a cheap manner is what I would have considered highly disrespectful. Merely picking up on the running and building a game around that isn't really the same as I see it.

I wouldn't call the game respectful or, if I'm honest, anything positive at all. But all the same I wouldn't say it's negative either. It doesn't ruin the movie, it doesn't try to mess with it's theme, it doesn't try to pretend to be something it's not. It's just a cheap and silly game about Forrest running.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Yeah, I'm going to call this strip a swing and a miss, based on what Grey's saying in the comment section.

A joke about, say, Rear Window being turned into a spot-the-missing-object game would have worked great, but 9/11 and Hotel freaking Rwanda was leading in a completely different direction from the original intent.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Ferisar said:
ticklefist said:
Edit: Aaaand I responded to a guy that emphasized "literally" with caps before speaking figuratively.
Lmao, yep, that's me. I literally don't think about anything I say, especially when I say it literally. Who needs to communicate with regular speech patterns and widely-accepted ways of providing information? This isn't an essay. I literally don't have to be literal despite using it as an exaggeration to hammer home my point. I'm sorry that it's so difficult to comprehend (especially after you take several seconds to ACKNOWLEDGE my usage of the word as improper and be fully aware in what I aimed to accomplish, and then use it to insult me for LITERALLY no raisins at all.) Please stay on point or don't bring this second-hand shit into the conversation, because it's , actually LITERALLY useless for you to point out my lack of textual tact.

ticklefist said:
Do I really? It's a movie regarded as a classic about a man overcoming his disabilities and achieving greatness in the eyes of many despite remaining completely human and going through the same shit everyone else went through. Why the actual flying flappy bird fuck would they be all "hey, this character from this awesome movie? We're going to include him in our temple-run knock-off iOS title." You don't see the controversy? They're taking the underlying theme of the film, the struggle of the main character, stripping it all away and putting him to run forward indefinitely with a single quote from the movie. Gee, I wonder why people are upset, it might just be that, OH RIGHT, THEY COULD'VE USED LITERALLY (see, I did it again) anyone else and it would've been more tastefully done than this. Oh, but no, Forrest Gump is clearly the only character in film that ever ran anywhere, right? Tom Cruise need not apply, for we have the man to qualify. We're so totally on the nose about this whole matter.

The reality is, if they didn't pick him, they'd have no publicity. Because all of their publicity is coming from making a mockery of someone else.

EDIT:
After letting the testosterone settle, I will submit that this is a non-troversy, but it's done so tastelessly that I will stand by that this should never have existed and should never be purchased. It's a game with a premise that cashes in on a film's character in the shallowest manner and attempts nothing beyond the laziest re-use of a game that uses a single mechanic. Controversy? No. Awful? Yep.
I'm not reading all that. I skimmed enough to tell you this: controversy and publicity aren't the same thing. The game is using notoriety to gain publicity, not controversy.

And the author is backpedaling.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Seriously.
Also, my sincerest congratulations to Grey on not fucking up the French in the last panel. Usually, whenever there are three words in French in any American media there's at least one glaring grammatical mistake.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
The Wooster said:
Ah. The "I'm not a racist, you're a racist." defense has been employed.

With the aforementioned "I have black friends defense" (Also: "I write about a character who is X" is such a weak variant of that I can't even imagine it working in your head. Because no-one has ever used fiction to attack a marginalised group, all representations of everything ever are positive) in play, we're at 2/3. One more and you win a prize! And a free lifetime membership to the Republican Party.

No, I don't particularly find the comic all that offensive, but I can definitely understand how it could be construed that way. So could you if you read and tried to empathise with what had been said. But failing that, when your responses mimic reprehensible defenses of far worse, they're probably not very good defenses.

And really, is "I was trying to make a point about the tonal disparity and complete barrel-scrapiness of taking a well-regarded - some might say "classic" - film, and was unaware that I unintentionally marginalised a group of vulnerable people, and insulted their lives to boot, and I'm sorry." that hard to type out?

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
The Wooster said:
If it's disrespect to the source material you're concerned about, then why are your follow-ups parodies of real-life tragedies rather than other popular work of fiction? What's the connection here? And what tone disparity? Forrest Gump is at heart a comedy, the running scene in particular is more than just tongue in cheek, he just throws away his leg bracers and starts running at 20 mph for no reason. How is that not video game material?

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Wow, a game about someone who (initially) had trouble walking is getting a video game?

Finally! I'm represented! I can play a video game!

Well, except I don't have autism or what have you. Damn, maybe not.

But yeah, bit late for a game about Forrest Gump, but running was a big thing for him amongst other things so it makes sense. Not a game I would play though, not a fan of mobile games.