Run Forrest Run

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I will wait for the "Motherf*cking T-Rex", the Videogame thank you very much.

Lieju said:
I'm more confused by this game existing than anything.
Why did they think this would be a good idea? No, rather, that this would sell?
Easy: Because it is so controversial and no logical the Hollywood know it will sell.

Another Example:

Mary Poppin Versus the Hitler's Army

See? It is so easy.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
SweetShark said:
Lieju said:
Easy: Because it is so controversial and no logical the Hollywood know it will sell.

Another Example:

See? It is so easy.
Grape_Nuts said:
Lieju said:
Of course it would sell. Look around you. Controversy sells.
Does it really, though?

Controversy can get you publicity, but you need to have some sort of draw in addition to that.
It's fairly different for example if the controversy is over sex-scenes, or for having pedophilia in it.

I guess if this game is cheap enough, a lot of people can buy it just for curiosity's sake?

My first thought wasn't 'oh how controversial', but 'well that's sort of random and not particularly topical'.

(At least Mary Poppin fighting Nazis sounds somewhat interesting. Didn't she have creepy superpowers? Also she's a cool lady, I'd play a game where she fights the Nazis, if it was at least average.)

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Controversy? It's a tasteful classic movie about a man overcoming multiple handicaps to lead an amazing life which happens to cross paths with many important moments in history.

Not sure whats controversial about seeing a guy who's different. We don't have to stick people with mental challenges in closets to avoid offending people.

That being said the game is about 10 years late and it looks horrible and uninspired.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
So....the idea is to (un?)intentionally give publicity to a game like this just so you can play the outrage card? You realize that's exactly what they want, right?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Hungry Samurai said:
Controversy? It's a tasteful classic movie about a man overcoming multiple handicaps to lead an amazing life which happens to cross paths with many important moments in history.

Not sure whats controversial about seeing a guy who's different. We don't have to stick people with mental challenges in closets to avoid offending people.

That being said the game is about 10 years late and it looks horrible and uninspired.
Yeah...if it was alright to make a movie out of, why not a game?

One wonders who owns the rights, though, or if they'll fudged it enough to avoid that.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
Lieju said:
SweetShark said:
Lieju said:

Another Example:

See? It is so easy.
Grape_Nuts said:
Lieju said:
Of course it would sell. Look around you. Controversy sells.
Does it really, though?

Controversy can get you publicity, but you need to have some sort of draw in addition to that.
It's fairly different for example if the controversy is over sex-scenes, or for having pedophilia in it.

I guess if this game is cheap enough, a lot of people can buy it just for curiosity's sake?

My first thought wasn't 'oh how controversial', but 'well that's sort of random and not particularly topical'.

(At least Mary Poppin fighting Nazis sounds somewhat interesting. Didn't she have creepy superpowers? Also she's a cool lady, I'd play a game where she fights the Nazis, if it was at least average.)
People are attracted to controversial games and movies for various reasons. Curiosity is but one of them. For some people, it's the thrill of enjoying something that so many people are outraged about. For other people, controversy represents an outlet to deal with their inner psychological insecurities and frustrations.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Grape_Nuts said:
People are attracted to controversial games and movies for various reasons. Curiosity is but one of them. For some people, it's the thrill of enjoying something that so many people are outraged about. For other people, controversy represents an outlet to deal with their inner psychological insecurities and frustrations.
Are people outraged about this though?
Buying a game just because it will piss people off is very immature thing anyway, and I can't see many kids being interested to a 20-year old movie or any controversy about it.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
What exactly is the controversy here? It's a game about a movie about someone who was mentally challenged. Now this is the first I've heard about this game, so I don't know how tasteful it is, or what the objective or point of it is, but all that people seem to be saying is that it's about a mentally impaired man. Well no fucking shit, so was the movie, why exactly does that make the game in bad taste?

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
Lieju said:
Grape_Nuts said:
Are people outraged about this though?
Buying a game just because it will piss people off is very immature thing anyway, and I can't see many kids being interested to a 20-year old movie or any controversy about it.
Not sure about the old movie, but the other two definitely induce outrage and disgust.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Forrest Gump is not a movie about a tragedy so why is it being compared to them?

The Hungry Samurai said:

As the father of an autistic child I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm actually offended by the people that have a problem with this.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
This is as real as the Ministry of Silly Walks phone game.

which is to say that is also real

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
ticklefist said:
Forrest Gump is not a movie about a tragedy so why is it being compared to them?

The Hungry Samurai said:

As the father of an autistic child I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm actually offended by the people that have a problem with this.
Do you really think that a 2D running game is going to use Forrest Gump with tact and tasteful adaptation? Just like, you know, Flappy Bird is going to be the appropriate clone for the tragedy of 9/11 or a side-scroller would DEFINITELY show the genocide of Rwanda without being completely disposable? Please, hold your joses. This isn't about trying to hide autism, it's about a game that has nothing to do with the movie about a man who has to overcome it. They are LITERALLY playing the controversy card.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
klaynexas3 said:
What exactly is the controversy here? It's a game about a movie about someone who was mentally challenged. Now this is the first I've heard about this game, so I don't know how tasteful it is, or what the objective or point of it is, but all that people seem to be saying is that it's about a mentally impaired man. Well no fucking shit, so was the movie, why exactly does that make the game in bad taste?
Couldn't have said it better myself. So the game features someone with autism, and that makes it automatically controversial? What? What the hell is the logic there?

Also, even if the game DID make tasteless references to autism (which I don't it does) it still wouldn't really be comparable to a game about fucking 9/11 or the Rwandan genocide. That's overstating it just a fucking little.

Of course, the authors know that, because the really sweet irony here is that THEY'RE the ones trying to drum up controversy. And the Escapist community seems to have taken the bait.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Ferisar said:
ticklefist said:

The Hungry Samurai said:

Do you really think that a 2D running game is going to use Forrest Gump with tact and tasteful adaptation? Just like, you know, Flappy Bird is going to be the appropriate clone for the tragedy of 9/11 or a side-scroller would DEFINITELY show the genocide of Rwanda without being completely disposable? Please, hold your joses. This isn't about trying to hide autism, it's about a game that has nothing to do with the movie about a man who has to overcome it. They are LITERALLY playing the controversy card.
You might need to explain what's so controversial about it then. It's not as apparent for some as it is for others.

Edit: Aaaand I responded to a guy that emphasized "literally" with caps before speaking figuratively. You clearly don't think about the things you say.

And a quick refresher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgnJ8GpsBG8

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Robot Number V said:
klaynexas3 said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. So the game features someone with autism, and that makes it automatically controversial? What? What the hell is the logic there?

Also, even if the game DID make tasteless references to autism (which I don't it does) it still wouldn't really be comparable to a game about fucking 9/11 or the Rwandan genocide. That's overstating it just a fucking little.

Of course, the authors know that, because the really sweet irony here is that THEY'RE the ones trying to drum up controversy. And the Escapist community seems to have taken the bait.
It's like the WGDF poster they made claiming there would be more of it soon. It's simply there to piss people off for the sake of pissing people off. I typically like Critical Miss, but I feel like they're trying too hard at this point with their click bait shit.

As for the game, I saw some gameplay of it. It's an infinite runner game. Besides the reason of why he's running, literally nothing about it has to do with Forest Gump. And on top of that, I didn't see anything alluding to his impairments either in the game, so while I'd hardly call it tasteful, it wasn't tasteless either. It's your regular carbon copy terrible IOS game that's existence is about as necessary as...this comic. It's use of Forest Gump is for name recognition alone, and from what I saw, is in no way offensive either besides simply being a cash in on an old movie that not many people even talk about anymore.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I'm... a little confused.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I've actually always wondered about this movie, but never bothered to look it up. Is Forest Gump an actual person? I mean, I know a lot of the content in the movie was definitely made up for comedic effect (like the marathon scene), but is the dude real?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
TheSniperFan said:
RJ 17 said:
I don't think there's a facepalm meme big enough to cover this one, but I'll try...

*prays to Google*

This is the best I've got:
Here, let me help you:

When I watched the video part of me was thinking "No. Nobody would turn this into *that* kind of game", but part of me knew it was going to happen. Said part of me is far too reliable when it comes to such things.
Jesus, why do some people/industries never fail to disappoint?
Couldn't have put it better myself. That explains this massive headache I have now.